first major injury

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Well, just goes to show that even with the most precautions possible, a horse will always find something to hurt himself on. Last Friday evening when I put my boys to bed, both were fine. Saturday morning when I went to get them up, my big boy, Spot, wouldn't come out of the loafing shed but whinnied for me instead. Now that is highly unusual so I called him again and he came limping around the corner. I jumped the fence and ran to him and saw a large laceration on his right hind ankle. Somehow he had cut his foot, right by the coffin joint, down to the bone. We coaxed him into the yard, washed it out, put hydrogen peroxide all over it and called the vet. They were wonderful. They were there in an hour and a half. They laid him down and did emergency surgery right there. Cleaned it up, stiched it and bandaged it. They said he cut an artery (which explains the giant pools of blood in the pasture), cut everything, in fact, on that side of his leg. Luckily it did not go into the joint, which was a major concern. We had to get him to the equine hospital for further treatment and he should come home on Monday. The doc said it should not affect his walking and that he should regain full movement of that foot. He is going to have one heck of a scar and it may not grow hair on it. There was a large "flap" that was cut and hanging and not all of it has regained blood flow so about 25% (give or take) will have to be removed as it is dead. But we were very lucky. He could have easily bled to death or gotten a terrible infection. This is not something I could have treated at home with a band aid and a little neosporin!!

But here is a rather humerous story related to the "incident". We had a mini trailer for three years. We never used it. It sat in our yard, unmoving and just going to rust. So one day someone offered to buy it from me and it seemed like the prudent thing to do. Flash forward to last weekend. The vet says to get him to the hospital right away and we don't have a trailer. So hubby and I leave the vet in our yard doing surgery and we take our truck and go riding around looking for anyone with a trailer parked in their yard. We finally find a house where they have a trailer and someone is home. Never met this lady before in my life. So I bang on her door. She makes the mistake of opening the door to find this crazy woman on her doorstep. I am frantic, I tell her I have this injured horse and I've got to have her trailer. Well, naturally she is a tad (actually very) reluctant to let me have her gorgreous trailer as she doesn't know me from Adam. She says she couldn't possibly let me borrow her trailer unless she talks to her husband who wasn't home. So I lose it. I start bawling. I couldn't help it. I was hysterical. So she takes pity on me, really she did. She says she is a horse person and understands. So I give her my license number, the plate number from my truck, my name, address, phone number and $20 (all the money I had in my purse) and off we go with her trailer. That was possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. We took Spot to the hospital, cleaned the trailer and had it back to her in 2 hours. So if ever you see a crazy red headed woman driving up your driveway, with a wild look in her eye, looking at your trailer....it's just me with another emergency!! Now I have to call her this weekend and borrow it again so I can get him home next week.

And, I will never be without a trailer again. I am actively searching for a trailer. I don't care if it sits here unused for 10 years, slowly going to rust, I will not ever be in a panic like that again.

My other horse, Fluffy, is beside himself because his brother is gone. He is most depressed. I have spent extra time with him, talking to him and taking him for walks but he really missed his brother.

When Spot comes home, he will have to be stalled for two weeks to limit the use of his foot. The doctor will be coming out every 3-4 days to check on his progress, remove any more dead flesh and change the bandages.

It was very bad. I have never seen an injury like this where you could look and see the bone. We were all very lucky.

I'll keep you posted.

Shelley

That sounds pretty scary - I hope your boy makes a full recovery. Your story about the trailer is funny - although at the time it would have been awful.

Keep us posted on jos recovery.

:aktion033: OH MY GOODNESS!! What a scary situation, and I am so glad it all worked out well for all! I can just see you going to that woman's door for the trailer...sounds like something I would do too, and I am glad she agreed to loan it to you!

That is so scary. I am glad all is well.

But I have to say that story is funny, now that it is over. I noticed you live in Taxes too far to borrow my trailer. It seems I am the only one around here with a trailer so everyone borrows mine. I am ok with that just clean it out when you are done!!! My brother is the biggest kulpret. He takes mine for wks at a time. I have to ask him for my trailer :eek:

Anyway, I am so glad all is well. Now go get that trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In an emergency I have put a horse in the back seat. I've used my Monte Carlo, Pickup, Impala, and my daughter's Geo. Whatever works!

Glad you had a angel hearted neighbor!

I am glad you had such a nice neighbor and that everything came out ok.

I do have to ask, did the vet chew you out for using the hydrogen peroxide on the wound? Throw that stuff away! Worst thing you could have done to it so be glad they were able to stitch it after you had done that.

I am not saying this to flame you or make you feel bad, but rather to educate so you don't do it again and that anybody reading your thread doesn't do it.

we too have hauled a mini to the vet get stitches in the back seat of the 4-door truck!
default_rolleyes.gif
: but that was just because i didn't want to take the time to hook up the trailer for one tiny little horse... he didn't mind at all, in fact he wanted to come over in the front seat and help me drive :new_shocked: so luckily my daughter was sitting in back holding on to him

sure hope your boy has a speedy and full recovery, what a scary morning for you!

and good luck on your trailer hunt
default_wink.png
:

Sure hope your little one is gonna be ok. But I gotta tell ya, when I read about the trailer I sat here thinking :new_shocked: . Mine had been just sitting here for the past 2 years. I sold it yesterday.

[SIZE=12pt]You and Spottie are very lucky
default_yes.gif
: You both must have a guardian angel on your shoulder/withers :bgrin [/SIZE]

Hope he recovers quickly and is back to normal
default_yes.gif
: keep us updated
default_yes.gif
:

Joy

I'm glad things are turning out okay in this situation. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I second the comments about hydrogen peroxide. My mom is a nurse and she never uses it now. They have found out that besides cleaning a wound, it will actually harm some of the healthy tissue. I'm glad you were able to find a complete stranger willing to loan you her trailer.

Ditto! Don't use hydrogen peroxide on wounds
default_smile.png
It severely retards healing.

I routinely haul my pony in my truck
default_smile.png
I did even before I bought my trailer. If I had the trailer and hadn't trained him to ride in the backseat I would just use the trailer.

Glad things turned out okay
default_smile.png

:no: poor guy.

i am glad it work out with the trailer.That was very nice of the lady to let you borrow her trailer.

Thank God he will be okay.

keep us posted.

My husband and I drove to the equine hospital yesterday to visit Spot. My goodness he looks wonderful (except for the large rather bloody bandage on his leg). The vet was there and visited with us and we will be bringing him home tomorrow afternoon. Thank goodness. The doctor will come out every 4-5 days to check on him and change the bandage and he'll have to stay in the barn for at least two weeks to limit the use of his foot.

I was shocked at how good he looks! He tends to be a tad on the heavy side (ok, ok, he's a fat boy). But all I feed him is hay. I have eliminated all his beet pulp, his strategy, everything except hay and one carrot or a half of an apple in the evenings(on orders from the vet). The vet has been giving him 1/2 a flake of alfalfa in the morning and another 1/2 flake in the evenings. He's been there a week and he has completely lost his hay belly and looks amazing. Now, I don't give alfalfa but feel giant bermuda from California. I was concerned that alfalfa would be too rich for him as I don't work him but he is just a back yard pet. He probably eats two flakes of that a day with maybe an hour of green grass in the evenings.

So not to get off the hurt foot thread, but OMG he looks amazing now and I would love to keep him looking that way. Since I am rather a novice, let me pose this question. I thought horses had to eat all day to keep their digestion going. So I give mine enough bermuda so that they can munch a little all day. If I were to switch to the alfalfa, I would give them half of the amount of the bermuda. Which means they would get less hay, but more nutritious hay. Would that be hurting him in any way? I've got two of them, could I switch to one flake of alfalfa daily per horse? I'm really concerned about them getting food that is too rich as they are fairly sendentary. But on the other hand, I simply cannot believe what Spot looks like after one week. And she is a vet, she should know what she is doing?

You know, having a horse isn't as easy as it might seem. There is so much to know, and to learn and it is a constant learning process.

Oh, and I called about two trailers yesterday and am waiting for a reply!!

Shelley

Next time you need a ride- CALL ME!!! I LIVE in Springtown!!! I am right off of Jaybird Lane on Springfield Road! I will PM our phone numbers. Or come borrow my Mini trailer, it's right here in the back yard.

What clinic is he at?

Otherwise, I hope your guy is A-OK!!

Lucy

So glad everything is OK.

Now for the scaring and hair return this is the Best

Schreiner's Herbal Solution. Never without it.

Had a mini to late for stitches and used this stuff, no scaring and hair returned. Vet was amazed...

Read the testimonial they are so true....

List on left to bottom ( lastest user reports)

http://www.schreiners.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back