Donkey Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a donkey for a while. Yesterday I found a 10 month old jack. His mother is weaning him and the other two jacks don't want him, so he hasn't bonded with another donkey yet. His name is Willie. If I get him, should I take him immediately to the vet for gelding or bring him home for a week or so first? (My concern is Midnight. I know they would have to be separated for a while, but I'd prefer him not to be too excited at first.)
I've always had trouble with three equines and I'm afraid I am taking on too much. Don't want my heart to take over my head.

As long as you have then split I don't think it would matter if you gelded him right away or gave him a week or so to settle. Why have you had trouble with three? I prefer having three or more out together than just two, it makes it much easier for me to bring one in to work with. Speaking as one who's heart has taken way over for my head, yes get him ❤

The donkey lovers here are going to tell you you need two donkeys. :) I will tell you from experience, donkeys play rough, especially the boys, and your horses may not appreciate it.
I've heard donkeys prefer each other but I've also seen plenty of owners who have their donkeys with other animals and they seem fine. Even with miniature horses. I'm thinking because he is young, if another donkey does not teach him to play rough, maybe he won't be so rough.
But I think I'm deciding against getting Willie. I don't really want to go through the baby stage with an equine right now, and keeping him separate from Midnight for so long could be an issue. And having three seems to take me over the top of what I'm comfortable caring for.
But I did call my vets and ask about gelding. $110 locally. I was told they do require more sedation and they bleed more than horses and have to be watched more carefully after the surgery.
Maybe another donkey will be in my future.

I've had single male donkeys twice in the past. The first had a miniature horse about the same age, and the same sex, and I didn't have any problems, they were best buds. But the second one started off with another young male mini horse, but I sold him and just had my old mare. When he got a little older I had to separate them, he was too rough.

Oh man, so no donkey party for now? 🥳

I brought Shadow home one day and the very next day I had him gelded, poor little guy LOL LOL. Welcome to your new home! 🤣🤣 I had a hussy mare on the other side of the fence, but didn’t have any problems, no babies or anything.

Only you know your limits and if 3 is too many, then 3 is too many. I am at my limits right now so I completely understand that…. But oh the baby stage is sooooo much fun!!😍

Oh man, so no donkey party for now? 🥳

I brought Shadow home one day and the very next day I had him gelded, poor little guy LOL LOL. Welcome to your new home! 🤣🤣 I had a hussy mare on the other side of the fence, but didn’t have any problems, no babies or anything.

Only you know your limits and if 3 is too many, then 3 is too many. I am at my limits right now so I completely understand that…. But oh the baby stage is sooooo much fun!!😍
You are tempting me again...

We got our mini horse when he was 9 months old then we got an 8 year old feral mini donkey (both 30 inches) and after 30 minutes they were fine together. There were a few bite marks the first month but nothing serious. They both play rough but they have several footballs and other toys. They also play tug-of-war with bamboo stalks. 3 weeks ago we adopted a 9 year old 16hh thoroughbred (he came with a 3 month old emotional support goat) and after 2 days of introductions they are fine together. I do agree with Taz that 3 are easier for pulling one for training. They are all stallions and we have decided not to get any of them gelded but will not breed either. The pony has become very calm and affectionate since getting the TB and in the 8 months the feral donkey is in your pocket halter, lead and liberty trained. We do have separate fields for hay and play time, one for grazing and 2 small turnouts with stalls for one on one time, special feed/meds and rest. I have 3 daughters and they were the same.
View attachment 20211026_123458.mp4
20211023_091345.jpg
View attachment 20211011_134735.mp4
View attachment 20210616_093813_001.mp4

We got our mini horse when he was 9 months old then we got an 8 year old feral mini donkey (both 30 inches) and after 30 minutes they were fine together. There were a few bite marks the first month but nothing serious. They both play rough but they have several footballs and other toys. They also play tug-of-war with bamboo stalks. 3 weeks ago we adopted a 9 year old 16hh thoroughbred (he came with a 3 month old emotional support goat) and after 2 days of introductions they are fine together. I do agree with Taz that 3 are easier for pulling one for training. They are all stallions and we have decided not to get any of them gelded but will not breed either. The pony has become very calm and affectionate since getting the TB and in the 8 months the feral donkey is in your pocket halter, lead and liberty trained. We do have separate fields for hay and play time, one for grazing and 2 small turnouts with stalls for one on one time, special feed/meds and rest. I have 3 daughters and they were the same.
View attachment 44994
View attachment 44995
View attachment 44996
View attachment 44997
I love your video's. 🥰

Love your group! Is the goat neutered? If not you might want to get that done, once the males are mature they pee on themselves to attract females, it smells really bad and they won't stop even if they are neutered at that point. I think it's a boy? If not no worries 😊

I was able to stop by the farm where the donkeys were yesterday to ask about Willie. Willie was no longer there, sold three weeks ago. I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed. The man took my number, as he said there will be another one in the spring that will need rehoming. So, maybe in 2022 I will be a donkey owner.

That is an exciting possibility! That’s when it should start thawing out around here and Madelaine, Tinker, and DD and I can start playing around on the trail. 🤣

We can compare donkey notes. I am waiting for a copy of Trickonometry to play with over the winter. Will share if Madelaine plays along! 😂

I'm definitely team donkey. I sold my first mini that I'd broke to drive while dealing with separation/divorce stuff. Immediately regretted it even though he has a better life than I do... Bought a new jack two months later to start over (Pedro then Phillippe) and can't imagine life without one. He lives with our mini mare who is definitely an alpha - and that's a good thing. Yes, they play rough, she tunes him in when she's had enough.
You will never be sad or have a bad day when you have a tiny donkey!

Attachments

• 59531692_10156386217246909_6767850400922992640_n.jpg
    59531692_10156386217246909_6767850400922992640_n.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back