Dog Pack trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_sad.png

OMG,

Is Sterling gone too??

Oh, I am in tears. I would be devastated.

I am SO SORRY for you.

Sandy

This is horrifying. Doesn't matter if the dogs are wild or someone's "pet" they need to be dead.

Good luck, hoping you get them tonight.

In spite of the fact that we have four full sized donkeys, three miniature donkeys, ten llamas, and two mules, our dog problems have surfaced again. This time with tragic results while I was gone to the AMHA Convention in Florida. I was delivering some horses to Alabama and to Florida, so drove out, accompanied my my mother. The second day that we were travelling, Carol called to let me know that dogs had killed one of my very favorite mares, and Jesper's favorite that he begged to buy and take to Denmark:

Little America's Silver Flash (26" three-years old)

flashDSC_1857.jpg

Then two nights later we had the worst attack. Neighbors across the street came rushing to the house at 1 A.M. saying that they heard a pack of dogs attacking our stud pasture and that they thought that there was a dead horse there. Carol and Lauren went to the pasture with flashlights after calling a couple of friends, who came quickly with guns. They found Bingo dead. After several hours in the dark they found Sterling, and when daylight came, they found our Orion daughter, Enchantment and her foal dead!

Little King's Bingo Buckeroo

bingo1.jpg

Little America's Sterling Fantastic

sterlingnatlred.jpg

Brewer's Orion Fantastic

brewersorionenchantment.jpg

In the past eight weeks we have lost eight horses, and I am almost certain that it is the same pack. Luckily, if there is such a thing at this point, we now have three people who have seen the dogs and can identify them. We are setting up a baited lot and have bought a deer stand to stand watch until they are all DEAD. They have excellent taste, having killed five of the mares that I would have kept if I sold down to only ten mares.

Little America's Silver Rosetta

rosettaDSC_2456.jpg

Little America's Fantastic Rose

fantasticrose_jesper.jpg

Lucky Four Shadowbuck Rebelrave

raveDSC_2139.jpg

Bagpipe Flats Mary Queen of Spots

QueeniePtHA4.jpg

Out of desperation, Carol bought a couple of Anatolian cross dogs and a friend worked with them and insisted on letting them loose in the pasture. Two days later the pack hit again, this time injuring Xenon, True Colors, King Rapsody, Whirling Thunder, and severly damaging Traveller, but we are convinced if the Anatolians had not been there that they would have likely all been killed. When they found Traveller, the two dogs, which will not let humans near them, were with him. Unfortunately they ran off after Carol decided to remove the horses from the pasture, and so far we have been unable to find them. Traveller is still in ICU at the vets, but think that he may recover, even though most of his hind quarters are gone. They almost gelded Thunder, but vet thinks that he will recover and remain fertile.

True Colors being hand walked by on of the Thursday Kids. He had lacerations to the neck and legs and has a few staples holding them together.

truecolors_shelbyDSC_7661.jpg

oh Tony, not again. I am so very sorry. My heart aches you your, your family and poor horses.

I think I would be taking lessons at the Range so that I could be a perfect sniper and sit in that Deer stand and wait for those dogs..

I think the Anatolians are worth their weight in gold. We are discussing getting one.

God bless you and yours,

Robin Russo

TrueJoy Miniatures

Oh Tony I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how you feel, as it is this makes me physically ill, I'm so sorry for your loss and this senseless tragedy.

I would also suggest poisoning the meat you're using as bait for these dogs. I really hope you can find at least some of the owners and hold them responsible for this. I know people never think that it's their dogs, always someone elses.

I'm going to print this out and show it to my neighbors who just can't believe that any dog would ever do something like this.

Again I'm so sorry and wish there was something I could do to help you out.

krisp

I can't even begin to imagine what this must feel like for you and your family. The loss of sooo many beautiful, loved horses is just unbelievable. This story sends shivers down my spine, think- were the weather warmer and closer to spring there would be children out after dark playing tag and games with their friends. I hope you end this all before any more lives, be they horses, livestock, or neighbors CHILDREN are lost!

Once again, so sorry for your losses. May the coming foaling season be a safe one for you and deliver you with spectacular babies who are healthy and long lived.
default_pray.gif
:

OMG This is HORRIBLE! Those horses are BREATHTAKING! And even if they werent, They are YOUR FAMILY! I am SO sorry. I really admired them Especially your Sterling and Bingo. I love the others too but I recall seeing those two before and thinking 'wow'. This is tragic. I hope you are able to work this out. I dont know about the meat poisoning though - what about your dogs (or maybe I mis read it and you dont have them yet). May your friends rest in peace. :no:

Do these dogs have owners? I would hold them personally (and financially) responsible. I'm an animal lover but have no tolerance for dogs going after livestock. Shoot on Tony!! I wish you a perfect aim and a fast bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inconceivable!

Wow.

I hope Traveler pulls through. I've looked at him on your website many times and I've never forgotten him.

You have suffered a great loss with this whole thing.

Unimaginable.

so sorry!

Tony I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, again. Hope you get this pack taken care of. If anyone of them has tags.. bill the owners for the horses along with pictures of their dog(s) on your property and the minis they killed.

Then you might start a campaign,, putting fliers at feed stores,, even locals mail boxes...letting them know what is going on. To keep their dogs on their property so no more animals die because of them.

Oh Tony, I am sooooo sorry!!! :no: :no: I can't believe what you and your family are going through. All I can do is sit here and shake my head.

Anyone that wants or needs to get Anatolian Shepherds, PLEASE get more than one. Anatolians are wonderful but they need and deserve a backup.

Tony, I hope you can find your dogs and get them back. They should NOT be afraid of people, and am glad that you didn't have another tragedy, by the dogs not having a bond with Carol and Lauren, the dogs may have decided to protect the horse from them.

I just don't know what to say.

Robin

Tony

I am so sorry that this is happening.

I'll keep your herd in my prayers.

Lauralee

Such a terrible, senseless loss - and many are so right about them potentially attacking people. An older lady (in her 70's) was attacked and killed just the other side of Austin recently by her neighbor's dogs. She was mowing her yard and they pulled her down and mauled her in her own front yard. Be careful Tony - call if we can help in any way.

Jan

WOW tony I am so sorry I cant even imagine what you and your family must be going thru. I hope that you are able to find them and get rid of them and get some dog proof fencing soon. VERY SCARY

My heart goes out to you and your family. I couldn't imagine the loss you have had. I will incude you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for the ones recovering from the attack and pray for the ones already gone that they have peace. GOD BLESS.

TONY,

I am so Very SORRY!!! :no: I cannot even imagine how you & your family must be feeling, the Tragic loss of these beloved, Beautiful horses......My heart is breaking........

My thoughts and prayers are with you, I hope you get every last one of those dogs......I would be so mad I would show no mercy at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{TONY}}}

I don't think the words HORRIFC and DEVASTATING even come close.......

My God, you lost some beautiful wonderful animals, many that I recognized either by sight or name. My heart is going out to you, your daughter, and your wife.

I pray that the injured ones will be alright.

Blessings,

MA

PS: Was just thinking......with so many that were killed, perhaps the media may be interested in spreading the word about that vicious dog pack. Once people know -- you can be sure there will be a lot of eyes watching out! (And hopefully some with guns!)

Last edited by a moderator:
A living nightmare sorry just doesn't seem to be enough.

Kill the brats whenever possible for your sanity.

Tony, I am so very sorry. I can't imagine your pain over this as you devote so much of your life to them. I wish we were closer to take a watch for you in one of your pastures. This is just so tragic....

Back