Dog Pack trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
In spite of the fact that we have four full sized donkeys, three miniature donkeys, ten llamas, and two mules, our dog problems have surfaced again. This time with tragic results while I was gone to the AMHA Convention in Florida. I was delivering some horses to Alabama and to Florida, so drove out, accompanied my my mother. The second day that we were travelling, Carol called to let me know that dogs had killed one of my very favorite mares, and Jesper's favorite that he begged to buy and take to Denmark:

Little America's Silver Flash (26" three-years old)

flashDSC_1857.jpg

Then two nights later we had the worst attack. Neighbors across the street came rushing to the house at 1 A.M. saying that they heard a pack of dogs attacking our stud pasture and that they thought that there was a dead horse there. Carol and Lauren went to the pasture with flashlights after calling a couple of friends, who came quickly with guns. They found Bingo dead. After several hours in the dark they found Sterling, and when daylight came, they found our Orion daughter, Enchantment and her foal dead!

Little King's Bingo Buckeroo

bingo1.jpg

Little America's Sterling Fantastic

sterlingnatlred.jpg

Brewer's Orion Fantastic

brewersorionenchantment.jpg

In the past eight weeks we have lost eight horses, and I am almost certain that it is the same pack. Luckily, if there is such a thing at this point, we now have three people who have seen the dogs and can identify them. We are setting up a baited lot and have bought a deer stand to stand watch until they are all DEAD. They have excellent taste, having killed five of the mares that I would have kept if I sold down to only ten mares.

Little America's Silver Rosetta

rosettaDSC_2456.jpg

Little America's Fantastic Rose

fantasticrose_jesper.jpg

Lucky Four Shadowbuck Rebelrave

raveDSC_2139.jpg

Bagpipe Flats Mary Queen of Spots

QueeniePtHA4.jpg

Out of desperation, Carol bought a couple of Anatolian cross dogs and a friend worked with them and insisted on letting them loose in the pasture. Two days later the pack hit again, this time injuring Xenon, True Colors, King Rapsody, Whirling Thunder, and severly damaging Traveller, but we are convinced if the Anatolians had not been there that they would have likely all been killed. When they found Traveller, the two dogs, which will not let humans near them, were with him. Unfortunately they ran off after Carol decided to remove the horses from the pasture, and so far we have been unable to find them. Traveller is still in ICU at the vets, but think that he may recover, even though most of his hind quarters are gone. They almost gelded Thunder, but vet thinks that he will recover and remain fertile.

True Colors being hand walked by on of the Thursday Kids. He had lacerations to the neck and legs and has a few staples holding them together.

truecolors_shelbyDSC_7661.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so terribly sorry.

Oh how awful. :no: I can't imagine. I'm so sorry for your losses, they were all beautiful. I hope you get the dogs AND find their owners.

Oh my God!!! You must feel like you are under siege!!!! How horribly devastating and traumatic. Are you not getting any help from the authorities? I think I would be on a rampage, if I were you, against the dog control in your neighbourhood. I would shoot ANY dog, whether someone recognizes them or not, that comes near your pastures!!! You have had more than your share of trouble with dogs - it seems to me that something needs to be done about roving dog packs in your area to prevent them in the first place. Could you not go to your town council and demand that something be done?

Deeply sorry for all your losses and fervent prayers for the recovery of your injured horses.

I just don't know what to say...this is awful, like a war! So traumatic and horrifying, the emotional distress of you and your family must be terrible

My thoughts are with you and I hope these dogs are stopped. They are certainly building up to an even worse level it seems like, and they may just go after a human in the very near future, so hopefully law enforcement is helping?

Liz M.

:new_shocked: OMG! What a terrible loss! You've had such a bad time with those dogs. I think you should get more dogs for your various pastures...that might be your only answer here, if the other guardian animals are not working.

I'm so sorry to hear of you loss, it's truly tragic. I hope you are able to dispose of the dogs and if they exist, hold the owners responsible.

Tony this is horrible and so tragic. I wish there was something I could do to help you. This makes me sick to my stomache.

I can only imagine the desperation and anger you and your family is feeling.

I do hope the authorities are involved here with this and are helping you.

We had this trouble when we first came up here Tony and field fencing was the answer for us. People here use llamas, donkeys and other livestock protection dogs to no avail, but like your situation, it doesn't always work.

I have backed up my board fencing with field fence and added hot wire, two strands; one along the bottom and along the middle and I have not had any intruders to my fields now in years. This may or may not be an option for you, but it has worked very well for me. Also of course my dogs stand duty and patrol and seems the packs do not want to feel the wrath of my german shephard when she bowes up and my half german shephard is worse. They will and they do attack and they will take down coyotes and other dogs in packs or not. Tony, although a German Shephard is not a livestock protection dog I can assure you that breed will fight anything and anyone to the death to protect what is their territory. Consider the breed.

I hope you can lay this mess to peace quickly and I am terribly sorry for these losses.

Tony -

Words cannot express how sorry I am for you, your family and your horses. I remember you had problems last year, and am so sorry that the problem has resurfaced again.

I hope you are able to find the dogs soon.

Liz R.

oh dear god :no: tony,i have often sat back and admired your horses alot of times,i cant believe how may youve lost ,im so very genuinley sorry,its the worst news, those poor horses, im sure yourself and your wife are devastated,i can only offer prayers of strentgth to get you all through this, i cant take it in :no: i hope you get EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE DOGS AND TAKE THEM ALL OUT, GODBLESS TONY

How incredibly devastating! What a horrible thing for you and your family to have to go through. I hope that you are able to find the dogs soon, and that they don't get anymore of your horses.

[SIZE=14pt]What a horrific thing!!!!!! I cant believe that there isnt more help for you from authorities. That is what we pay them for!!! So very very very sorry Tony.[/SIZE]

Lyn :no:

So sorry to hear of your losses. They were all such beautiful horses. My condolences to you and your family.

This might be one of the worst things I have ever heard of! :eek: Any luck yet with the deer stand? Cameras? Authorities? ANYTHING????? Oh the rage you must be feeling over the loss of such beautiful animals! Shoot to kill, poison some meat as bait, put out pails of antifreeze, whatever it takes! I just cannot believe this is happening to you!

You and yours are in my prayers! Linda

Oh my god, Tony.... this has gone way beyond imagination... I really cannot put into words what I felt what when I saw this post this morning... (and probably my comments would have been removed due to content...) :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Can you hire trackers for this? I totally agree with putting up a dear stand, but you need some professional power... this is not only a tragic loss in beloved horses, but I cannot even imagine what this did to you financially....
default_unsure.png
: Won't the authorities get involved? I lived in Healdsburg, California... (Sonoma County) for many years and that was and continues to be a BIG sheep country. I was working for a vet at the time and we were called one night to attend to sheep that had been attacked by a pack of dogs. When we arrived at the scene, what we saw was unimaginable... it looked like a slaughter house, rams, ewes, lambs.. had been torn apart and lay dead or dying everywhere.. we were only able to save a few.. and by the time it was done, this owner had lost over $100,000 in breeding and showing individuals...

He hired professional trackers and they lay in wait for the dogs.. they killed most of them but let one or two go and followed them to thier homes... and guess what? They were PETS owned by people who moved to the country and let their dogs... (and kids...) roam at will, because, quote " to let everyone enjoy the country lifestyle, we turned them loose..."
default_frusty.gif
: One of these families had been warned repeatedly about thier dogs... (and kids) showing up in the pens with the sheep.. and had actually tried to bring a lawsuit against the sheep owner because his son had been butted through a fence by a ram protecting his flock...

Needless to say, it got REAL ugly really fast and was one of the biggest lawsuits in Sonoma County back in the 1980's... (the owner of the sheep hung the dead dogs to the entrance of his property and was counter-sued because of "stress and trauma" to the dog owners... :new_argue: .. unreal.....).

I hurt for you, Tony... and wish I could help in some way... may your little ones rest in peace....
default_crybaby.gif
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I'm so sorry. I feel your loss. I had my neighbors dogs attack 2 of my 3 horses. While I was walking them!!. NOthing was done, my town has the dog officers hands tied.

Christy
default_sad.png

tony

there are no words to express the horror i feel reading your post. I remember last year when they got the appy fillies and how devastated you were and how all of were devastated along with you. Im praying you find a way to get this stopped. I cant even imagine the heartbreak over losing these irreplaceable horses.

are they wild dogs??

sending prayers

kay

Sooo sorry to hear..makes me sick!! Is there a way you can put a bounty on the dogs per head?

I know it's legal in TN..I would let the authorities know I am doing it..Like 50 bux per head?

Whatever you do we hope you get them..
default_sad.png

Gotto add..hubby said the dog PACK will sperate One or two animals from the herd and attack..and the guard animals will stay with the herd. thats why they not much help with a PACK attack..

Everyone has pretty well said it best
default_wub.png
:

So Sorry, No Words can help right now.

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Latest posts