Dog breeders--please read

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candleliteranch

Reaction score
I can't ven call them breeding "stock" And yes, I know, the proper term is "bitch" but mine are all girls or ladies....lol

My question is what do you do after they retire? Mine are all pets that live in the huse, sleeping on the furniture while we sometimes have to drag in a kitchen chair to sit on. BTW they are Pugs. They have done very well for me and have earned n easy retirement. My problem is that since my transplant, I guess from the immunosupressants my allergies have now expanded to an allergy to the dogs. I also raise Old English Sheepdogs. I don't have a problem with them (yet) but the pugs leave hair EVERYWHERE. I don't think there's abnother breed that loses so many tiny little hairs. They work themselves right into the weave of the furniture. I'm thinking maybe I should try to place a few of them, but feel that I'm just evicting them because they are no longer prooducing. That's not the case at all. They've been retired for over a year and a half now. I love them dearly.

What do you or would you do?? Please HELP

I am not a dog breeder. However, asleep on my couch is a retired show dog who would have been used for breeding if he hadn't gone over sized (and then developed allergies to boot). If the dogs are well behaved and house broke perhaps you could consider looking for families to rehome them with.

Now, I know his first mom felt sad about letting him go, but she knew that having a home with a family to love him would be better for him then continuing to live in a home with a lot of other dogs, especially show dogs and breeding dogs where he might not get the cuddles he deserves because she was so busy with her working animals.

She found me by asking around at the vets to see if they knew anyone who might be interested, which was great because it got her the names of people who are regulars at the vets office. I ended up hearing about him through an online friend who worked for the vet and the rest is history.

I feel lucky and very very blessed that she trusted me with him. I send her emails a couple of times a year to let her know how he is doing. I know she didn't just "evict" him because he couldn't produce ribbons or puppies. She made sure he went to a good home, and I got a fantastic companion.

Why do I always get high maintenence dogs I will never know.

My alaskan malamute got body clipped every summer, like three times......his hair oh my gosh.......

This summer, we had to overhaul the house cause of Tracey. We had to get rid of the carpets, put in hardwood flooring, and get leather furniture. JCPEnney had one heck of a sale on it with deferred payments.

I keep the dogs bathed. Yup, in the tub every week.

Then, they both wear tee shirts, mostly when shedding is the worst. And I do brush them too.

It makes one heck of a difference on my alergys too.

Get into high gear and you can make it work too I'll betcha.

Lisa with your immune system I would work very hard to find them loving homes. No foul in that, you can't afford to get sick again.

It is very common for retired show/brood animals to be spayed/neutered and placed in loving homes. If you belong to your local pug club they often keep tabs on who has retiree's looking for homes. If you were closer I would be interested as my sister in law wants a pug something fierce. One of my best dogs ever was a retired show dog she was wonderful and if I was looking for just a pet I would definately go this route again.

Oh yes, that is a great idea, find a local pug club, or maybe breed specific rescue if you decide to go that route.

Like I said, my dog, Mylo, is a retired show dog who wouldn't cut it as a breeder and I am grateful EVERY DAY that his first mom decided to make the sacrifice and allowed me to welcome him to my family. He has been a blessing in every way, even if he is my "special needs" kid.

Lisa,

U sure it is the dogs? I haven't had any probs with allergies since my 4th x-plant. Have u talked to your MD? I couldn't part with my animals.

Good luck with what ever you have to do.

Shelley<><

Lisa,

This is going to sound weird - but it worked for a friend of mine with her pugs. She BODY CLIIPPED them! Yep, off with #10's and then they wore sweaters to go out when it was cold - I think she bathed them regularly also - but it seemed that the clipping really helped with the shedding which was a big part of her problem.

Might give it a try - can't hurt and it will grow back.

Good luck, I don't know what I would do if I developed allergies to my dogs - geeze 4 of my Havanese were sleeping on my pillow last night and my dalmation & boxer were on the bed between my hubby and I!

Stac

this may seem silly but have you changed anything else lately? i always think back to that brady bunch show where one of the kids suddenly started sneezing when the dog was near... broke everyone's heart but they found the dog a new home... when the people picked it up, the sneezing kid ran back in the house to get the dog's new bottle of shampoo and started sneezing like crazy - turned out it was the shampoo she was allergic to and NOT the dog after all... happy TV show ending :bgrin

anyway ever since that, and with a husband who has HORRIFIC allergies, we are always very careful about what and who come into the house...

just a thought

Back