Just curious - What other animals do we all own?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much! I am incredibly proud of my kids! They are pets and family members first and foremost….the rest is just icing (and a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money lol!!).

~kathryn

They are pets and family members first and foremost….the rest is just icing (and a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money lol!!).

~kathryn
Ain't that the truth???

I agree with the others! FANTASTIC and what an AWESOME pic. Don't know how you managed that one.

I, too, enjoy hearing of your doggie trials and tribulations - though I don't think I've very often commented on those threads.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I wonder if you can make a duck "tractor" same as one of those chicken tractors? I was chatting with the husband about this topic, and he indicated he would be willing to make some sort of moveable pen.

I've been hesitant so far, because I've heard the coyotes taking out the chickens around here. I figured it was better if the other chicken owners "chummed" the coyotes, so they wouldn't attack our horses. But... perhaps, if I set it up away from the horses on the property? I don't know. ...tempting.

...only thing is, that ducks would need a pond, or water, or something. ...like a wading pool. ...wonder whether I could make that "move-able."

WoW! Some of you have a LOT of critters! I thought with my 14, I had a bunch to care for! It seems all I do is scoop various kinds of poop and feed 4 different kinds of meals. All get one on one attention/love every day.

I have 5 cats, down from 9. All but 1 are getting old, we loose one almost every year now. 3 mini horses and 1 mini mule. 3 rabbits and 2 small hens that are starting to stop/slow down laying. Do the fish in the pond count? 1 large koi, 1 or 2 giant catfish, 1 grass carp and too many bass and bluegill. They get fed everyday too and follow me when I walk around the pond.

Even with all I have, I still want a mini goat, mini pig, and mini ducks. LOL! more poop!

Candycar - poop from some or most of your animals could be utilized on any kind of a garden or as mulch around trees, etc! (yea, more work, I know!)

AngC - A tractor for the ducks should work. Maybe make a more permanent place in one spot where you could at least set up a kiddie pool. Our ducks weren't in it all the time even in 100*+ weather. Build your "tractor" to attach/detach to/from the permanent part of a pen. Dunno - still working on something like that for us, too.

13aug25dux135.jpg

This is funny - they'd just popped out of the barn

14feb12sno836.jpg

14feb13sno852.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it wouldn't let me finish the edit. The bottom pic of ducks isn't a pond! It's the ditch between the house/driveway and the barn. It's full of water due to having RAIN before the freeze and snow hit on top of it...

Hmm, where to start?

Have freshwater fishtanks, koi and goldfish pond, 3 brother gerbils, 2 conures, 1 house dog, 2 house cats, 1 pony, 2 minis, 2 guardian dogs, 3 pet ducks, 6 pigs and a ever growing flock of Babydoll Southdown sheep.

921326_1082423821791125_2531416781930419627_o.jpg1622237_1079569398743234_3914983948229187091_n.jpg10368963_771336829566494_2459395101473571806_o.jpg11953241_1022505214449653_5363272348511359654_n.jpg12295485_1066493406717500_5232195820175823560_n.jpg12313914_1074245232608984_7699421079985361733_n.jpg12313980_1071804986186342_6741191865214691047_n.jpg12373165_1079576695409171_5609667588941701193_n.jpg

We have ducks too! Didn't mention them as they are in with our chickens......... Two are rescue ducks and two are offspring......

We have a large run/pen for all the poultry and when it's not freezing, we keep a kiddie wading pool filled for the ducks.

It's a hoot watching them when I dump the old water and refill......It's like watching a happy pool party every time.

I personally own. (Have a partner in the farm with more horses) 4 minis, 3 are for sale as I am moving from the farm to a house in the city with NO roomates!!

A Cockatiel and an Amazon parrot, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi rescue foster who will probably stay with me and a much beloved Cardigan Welsh Corgi from Anoki. Hoping for a puppy from her soon........

2 young cats, they live in the barn but have had house time so are litter trained and are a hoot.

As for. The rest of the farm, another Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a Golden, and a Lab. 20 ish minis, quarter horse stallion (boarder), Missouri Foxtrotter, National Show horse and 3 purebred Arabs. Two tame barn cats and 2 feral cats.

I own:

- 1 dog. Shes a Border Collie, named Lacey.

- 4 Minis. Willow, Toby,Snickas and Kevin.

My Family owns:

- A Cat, named Skittles. She is very antisocial though.

I used to own:

- A TB Mare, Sunshine.

- 2 Goats, Moe + Curly

- Heaps of birds (They were my brothers)

- 40+ Guinea Pigs (Between my brother and I)

- 2 Shetlands, Dusty + Goldie.

- A duck that thought it was a vicious dog. Doofus.

-2 Ducklings, Charlie + Boots

-5 Chickens

- A Galah, Bill

-12 other Minis.

-3 Other cats, Dodger, Rascal, Gizmo

-Another Border Collie, Pip.

-Lacey's Pups.

I think thats about all the animals I have had in my life.
default_smile.png

Carly -

What is "A Galah, Bill"? I've never heard of an animal called a Galah and have no idea what that is...

Ahhh - the 2nd time I googled it, I got an answer - it's a bird in the cockatoo family.

Pics of yours? They are pretty!

A Galah is an Australian bird. Bill was his name
default_smile.png

They are also known as the Rose-Breasted Cockatoo. They are everywhere around here. Bill was 28 years old, which was very young, their life span is 70-80 years old. He flew away.

Here are wild ones in our yard. Please excuse the quality. Thank you
default_smile.png
Taking photos is my passion.

I'll post a couple of my little group as well
default_smile.png
Even though most already have seen them haha.

Toby

Kevin

Snickas

Willow

Lacey

Skittles

The whole group

I'm the new guy here. I have 4 dogs, black lab, snauzer, and 2 Great Pyreneeses puppies. I also own a goat (I have no idea what kind). My goat thinks he is a dog.

As of a month ago, Gracie my little horse.

I am hoping my goat will start thinking he is a horse (I have given up on him being a goat) and actually graze instead of begging for dog food.

A lot of goats like eating dog food, its corn based. Our goats used to try getting our dogs food, but our dogs guard their food. Goats leave them alone.

Besides all my minis, I have several other horses. Other than my husband's Clydesdale, the tallest is 14.1 (and the smallest adult non minis is 12.2). Half a dozen of them are my other "main" breed, Icleandics. My first Icey foal is due soon, mare is bagging up, can't wait! :D

Besides horses, I also have mini donkeys, they're so cute
default_smile.png

As for the non-equines, I have a llama, just because they're cute. I take him for walks sometimes ;) Living with him (and the donkeys) are 2 goats, a little Nigerian and a HUUUUUUUGE Nubian. Also 4 sheep, 3 of which are triplets their mom rejected, so we bottle raised them. The fourth was bottle raised by his previous owner. They're all just pets. One of the triplets is a girl, but the rest of the sheep and both goats are fixed boys. Other than the Nigi, they're all friendly and love attention.

Also outside are 4 guinea fowl, 4 turkeys, one (so far) peacock (a young hen), and a lot of chickens and ducks. My silkies and frizzles stay cooped up for safety, but everyone else free ranges during the day. I love watching them
default_smile.png

To guard all my critters is our LGD, a Great Pyrenese. Also living outside, because he refuses to EVER come inside, is a mini aussie. And we have another large dog (Leonberger mix) who lives outside (her choice) in good weather, but comes inside when it's too warm for her liking.

Inside we have a lot of cats... I'd love to find homes for most of them (we have rehomed some), because they are stuck in a large room, as some of my dogs kill cats
default_sad.png

And there are the rest of the dogs. Mostly Mini Aussies, which we used to breed, and some border collies. I do agility with 4 of them (1 BC and 3 Mini Aussies), and several others have done agility in the past, or have at least some agility training. We love it
default_smile.png

I'd share pics, but I'm at work, so I can't.

CheyAut....I'll forgive you for not posting your Iccie on the MareStare forum. Since I'm a lurker there and not much of a poster, I won't reprimand you. The Aunties, on the other hand.....

Carly Rae, I'm taking this opportunity to get you to look at and think about your herd dynamics. In the pic of Kevin where he has his nose raised toward the camera, Toby's in the background. Do you see how Kevin has his right eye looking foward toward you? It is soft, shows interest and is round. Yet his left eye is looking back at Toby. It appears VERY concerned about where Toby is and what he's doing--it's rolled back hard, white is showing, and you can see that the eyeball is pointed.

Toby appears to have a very aggresive, domineering and driving type of expression on his face. What happened just before AND just after you snapped this shot?

[quote name="Dragons In the pic of Kevin where he has his nose raised toward the camera, Toby's in the background. Do you see how Kevin has his right eye looking foward toward you? It is soft, shows interest and is round. Yet his left eye is looking back at Toby. It appears VERY concerned about where Toby is and what he's doing--it's rolled back hard, white is showing, and you can see that the eyeball is pointed.

Toby appears to have a very aggresive, domineering and driving type of expression on his face. What happened just before AND just after you snapped this shot?

Good point. Also, the horse in the background apears to have his ears pinned back.

We have dogs (3 shih-tzu and one 3/4 shih-tzu & 1/4 poodle) and two Great Pyrenees crosses, kitty cats (dilute calico medium hair, black & white medium hair, and black Maine Coon / Persian), 4 Nigerian dwarf goat whether, and lots of tropical fish. Love them all, even kinda the fish ?

Anoki - That is an amazing picture!! I love it.

I have an odd set up. I have animals i own, lease, loan, foster and share.

Owned

Mini horse, Goldie

Lab x, Billy

Staffordshire bull terrier, lexi

Fish tank

1 Rooster called Man Chicken and two hens called the harem

1 cat called Bobby

Lease

Stallion, banner

Loan

Gelding, thriller

Foster

cat, Pebbels (owned by Thrillers owner)

Jed, 17hh hunter and when i'm looking after him (usually a few days a week) i do his owners horse too.

Latest posts

Back