Dog breed question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We spend alot of time on a boat in the summers, and half the week we used to be in a 35ft fifth wheel with 3 dogs (until we bought our second house)...a very large lab, a med size mix, and a rat terrier. The lab of course loved water (he passed away in Nov)...but IMO I don't think a lab is a good choice...at least not mine. They tend to be clumsy...at least mine was...god rest his soul...I miss him. Rat Terriers are wonderful....no grooming...mine is about 15lbs but he is tall, not really small. They can be energetic though...but they love to be active and to do things with their owners...they adapt very easy...they are not as hyper as a Jack Russell...but they are not laid back either...they are super tough little dogs that will make you laugh constantly. My mix is 35 lbs and I think he would be perfect for what you describe...he is a heinz 57...short hair....active but not hyper. Most dogs are very adaptable so size I think at this point would be what is important to you. I say go for a mutt!
default_wub.png

I'd suggest a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Big dog, but minimal grooming. Plenty of energy but not hyper-energized, obedient if early training is properly done. Mine is an extra big(weighed 113 lbs. in her prime) spayed female. Protective but doesn't 'overdo' it; barks only when necessary. Not as many health issues as many larger dog breeds, generally(dermoid sinus is one to look out for, however.) Was very easy to house break, and always polite in the house(though they do have long tails, which can be 'hazardous' inside..
default_smile.png
Seems impervious to weather; though slick-haired, she has NEVER seemed fazed by the cold. BEST dog I have ever had; I'd have another in a New York minute!

I admit, I've never had her in the water, but I can't imagine she wouldn't have adapted well to that, too.

I've had Schipperkes; they are great little dogs...but you said you like BIG!

Margo

Latest posts

Back