Dog breed question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well I have a bit of a strange question...I was all set on the breed of dog (Great Dane) that I was going to purchase next year but it is likely that we will be moving aboard a boat now. We're very excited to finally be able to live our dream of living aboard a boat. Anyway...on a boat space is everything! It's essentially going to be like living in apartment except much less space. We will still be getting a dog because I know many people that live aboard boats and still have dogs of all sizes. I do know a couple that have a great dane living with them on their boat but I'm just thinking it's not realistic at all. Or is it?

We're a very active couple, that go hiking, walking lots and our dogs go with us everywhere.

What I am wondering is your opinion on a breed that would be best suited for us? I know each dog is individual and training makes differences but I am speaking in breed general terms here.

We need a dog that can adapt to small spaces easily. Exercise isn't a huge issue as it will still be exercised everyday but I don't want something with the energy level of a border collie. That being said I don't want something that can't keep up with us. I don't mind brushing regularily but I do not want a dog that needs to go to the groomers for clips. We both prefer bigger dogs. Hence the great dane...although we have had Malamute X, Chihuahuas, dobermans, pittbull X, labs and shepherds. It needs to be a friendly breed but at the same time when I'm alone I want it to alert me if something is up. An obvious bonus would be that as a breed it loves (or at least likes) water. It needs to be a breed that generally doesn't wander.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
default_wub.png

My Saint Bernard was pretty much the dog you described. I'm not sure if all Saints are like her. Good dogs.

Yes, a Schipperke, that is my suggestion also. When you ask about a dog for life on a boat that is the breed that comes to mind first.

Thank-you for the replies please keep them coming! I do know at least four people that have Schipperkes on their boats!! After all they were bred for that! Although I must say they're far too small of a dog for me.

Sixstardanes-That's interesting...and actually now that I think of it I have a friend who has four danes in a 1200sqft house. I know that the dobermans always seemed to be able to tuck up into small places.

ErikaS. I never would have thought of a St Bernard!

While Dobes can fit in small spaces they are high energy dogs. They need exercise and activities to keep them busy or they can get very destructive. An older rescue might work well on a boat but I would stay away from anything under the age of three.

I think most dogs will become destructive if not given a proper outlet for their energy. We have had dobes before so I know about their energy. I've never found them to be very high energy...well I mean they are but we always get that energy out so we haven't ever had problems with dogs with pent up energy. We won't think anything of taking our dogs on two week long hiking trips or hiking up the local mountains. We're really active everyday and the dogs are always part of those activities.

Have you looked into Greyhounds? They are supposed to be good apartment dogs and I don't think require a lot of grooming.

default_unsure.png

Schipperke is a good one or how about a Portuguese Water Dog ( they do however need some grooming ) I know several people in Key West that live on boats and they have PWD's...great with children, love water extremely loyal and are semi active but are just as happy to lay on the dock and watch the world go by.

Let us know what you end up getting and I would love to see pictures of your new house boat!!

Golden retriever
default_wub.png

I don't know about all of them, but the calmest, sweetest dog I ever knew was one.

I was going to say Golden Retriever too
default_wub.png
Every Golden I've ever know has loved water, and they are awesome, loving dogs.

I've never owned a Labrador Retriever but have been around many of them and I think they are a breed that could work out well for you too.

Well, if space is an issue, I would stick with something on the smaller side and not a really hyperactive high energy dog...........

I am another one to suggest a schipperke. they are small, bred to be barge dogs, are great company, and wonderful dogs! jennifer
default_saludando.gif

I was going to suggest greyhounds too. They love to lounge around and they are soooo sweet. They do need a leash though when you take them off the boat. They also live longer than danes too.

You might want to check into NEBOLISH MASTIFF. BIG, SHORT HAIRED, NON-SLOBBERING, AND LIKE WATER. They are the result of years of crossbreeding boxers, English Mastiffs, and arguably other breeds. They are a recognized breed.

An excellent link to all breeds of dogs is www.dogbreedinfo.com which is in alphabetical order and includes purebreeds and developed breeds. You may find a number of different dogs that interest you.

If you decide you are interested in them I know of a website for people here in Texas that are expecting a litter. They used to always have a waiting list. You can PM me if you want their website. Anyway dogbreedinfo.com is a good start. Happy hunting!

Newfoundland! They even use them for water rescues!!!! We have a half newfie and half aussie and he is a good, BIG dog! He is calm and loves to go on walks and car rides and anything you can throw at him.

Chesapeake Bay Retriever -- they LOVE Water.... But they need someone with a strong leadership stand so that they do not try to dominate you... They are not really good for an appt. type space because they love to exercise BUT it sounds like you would be doing alot of that with your dog and they love to swim and be outside in general so I would think they would be a breed to look into.

I have a chocolate lab and he LOVES water and exercise as well BUT he does NOT do well in small spaces... His tail is always knocking things over when he comes in the house... He actually perfers to be outside... We live in a trailer and when he is inside he takes up ALOT of room but he also likes to lay under the table so alot of time you dont notice the space.. But he loves water and exercise...

Good Luck!

Back