Does This Sound Right?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I am beginning to feel like I bought a hot potato, through no fault of mine or the seller!!! As soon as I send in the transfer papers, then I will be one in the hot seat as far as AMHR is concerned. And Parmela will be off the hook. And I admit, I tend to agree with Songcatcher - when in this position myself, I just hardshipped the mare.
The reality is the only person that can sign any paperwork for the dam of this horse is Parmela, wouldn't matter if you transfered her now or not. Parmela is the current owner of record for this mare and the colt was born prior to her registering the mare.

Thank you all for the responses. They are much appreciated and have given me a lot of insight into why this situation is the way it is. You're all the best!
aktion033.gif

Parmela...so funny after I investigated this a little....I know the colt "personally".....I can assure you that his breeding is correct. I am sure the owner didn't mean to sound harsh...I also know her...it is her personality...in person she is better than on the phone or in writing. I really did not know that this was the colt when I initially posted, but again....I would do it for her. I have done business with her and found her to be very honest and willing to help when needed. Remember dear....not everyone has your exceptionally nice personality.....
yes.gif
again...best of luck...but rest assured that his AMHA papers and breeding are correct for this colt.

Sherri,

I'm glad you posted. I was going to do this but was feeling unsure about possible reprecussions down the road. What if's. What if it's not the colt they say, what if it later doesn't PQ? Am I going to be responsible in some way? But reading your post has given me the confidence to go ahead and do it. I was thinking I needed something notorized from the owner of the colt saying they believed the colt to be so and so and that I wasn't responsible. But they have been through heck and back with this - thinking all along since the day they bought the colt that the dam was going to be hardshipped and their colt could be registered for the smaller fee. I realize they should only expect a single registered horse, but they believed the original seller that the mare was going to be hardshipped soon. Well, she wasn't, then I bought her and planned to hardship her but didn't spend the money right away. Then I needed to downsize due to my divorce and she was for sale. At that point I didn't hardship her until I had the down payment on the sale. Just wasn't financially possible for me to do it sooner. So these people have been waiting at least 2.5 years from what I can tell to get this colt registered. I do feel for them. And thanks for explaining her "tone" in the emails. I've only spoken to the daughter and she was a tad snippy or impatient with me, but I believe she's just tired of the situation and not actually ticked at me.

I will complete the form today and mail it to them. Maybe my good turn will come back around and someday when I need a horse registered someone will help me so I can do it this way and not have to pay hardshipping fees.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Do they have A papers on the colt? Then they dont need a transfer. If they are now trying to get R papers without hardshipping from the A papers... what about a stallion report then? That would have to be taken care of too to show that you indeed did breed the mare to said stallion to produce that colt.

Just read your last postings.... have you seen pics of this colt to ensure it is the one you sold? Compare with baby pics? (I know of someone else who had a situation that didnt turn out so well, and they were refused pics and not allowed on the place to verify it was really even the baby they had sold so they refused to send anything)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's wonderful when communication finally brings all the points together. It seems to me that the original owner and seller of the colt was amiss when promising that the mare was going to be registered in AMHR, but maybe he believed it to be so. The buyer of the colt was also negligent in assuming without proof.

As HGF stated, if they are trying to get R papers without hardshipping from A, the owner of the stallion will have to fill out a stallion report. You cannot do that as you were not the owner. Still some sticky things to work out, but maybe it can be done.

I have faced a similar situation before, where a horses parents were R registered, but their foal was not. I chose to just hardship from the A papers rather than go through all the hassle. Of course mine was a mare and cost only $260 instead of $460.

I hope everything works out for everyone.

I also want to point out that questioning and insisting on seeing a copy of the AMHA papers of this colt is not necessarily questioning the honesty or integrity of the current owners. Verification is a good thing, expecially when more people have been involved and you may not know who they are.

Thanks for your response Parmela....actually the mare was on my list to hardship and I was getting to it as I was muddling through the masses of paperwork, but she sold first....so hence she was gone and her colt had been sold as well...it left the current owner of the colt in a bind as well as you when you were probably first contacted, and I think you are right...she will be happy to get it resolved. She has bred several mares to him and she is primarily an AMHR person. I was there just last fall to pick up a Sids Rebel daughter and her 08 filly that I purchased from her and saw Jr when I was there that day. It is most certainly him. The owner also talked to me about the situation and I told her that the mare left before I got to her HS with AMHR, but knew that you had her and was most certain that if you hardshipped the mare, then you would help her out. I know the horse well and again can assure you it is him....actually funny because I told her that she should consider jumping him because when he was a youngster, he could clear a three foot panel easily....LOL

I think all of us in the business run into registration issues. The 08 filly that I bought from her has never been registered. I have the application to AMHA and to AMHR.....I still need a breeders certificate from the previous owners of the mare from AMHR, but will wait to get that until I DNA her and the AMHA papers are back. I am sure it will be no problem as I do know the previous owners of the mare that sold her to this lady, but once again.....paperwork hassles and red tape....that takes time a diligence....however my little girl is worth it....she is out of a Sids Rebel daughter and by Little Kings Buck Commander and is maturing into a beautiful young mare.

Anyway, thanks again Parmela, sorry for rambling on here, but I am so glad that all of us horse people work together and help each other out when it is needed, because with the economy the way it is and the uncertainty of just "everything" in general.....it is nice to save money when we can and feel the comraderie of the miniature horse world in general. I know that myself alone...and I am not a big farm by far, have spent in excess of $1500 this year in registration fees with AMHA and AMHR and am still about $300 from being totally caught up. I really want to join and register my foals with the PTHA, but OMG...not sure I can take another registration hit right now....LOL.....Have a great day and thanks so much again for helping out......you are so right in good things happen to people who put "good" out there...I have seen it over and over.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to worry...the mare is on the stallion report as "pending" registration. This is not a problem. This is really not a bad situation, but public forums lead a lot of folks to assume. This is no one's fault....or perhaps it is mine for not working quickly enough to get the mare hardshipped....I was sick some back then...missed some work and fell a little behind. Who knows....I will take the blame if necessary.....I am just glad that all is working out well. I know the colt....have been around him since birth.....he is who "everything" says that he is and I can assure everyone of that. Actually, I for one am glad that the AMHR allows you to go back and register foals to a mare that has been hardshipped in, long after the foals were born. We could all be in this situation and I am sure that we would much rather get a signature and pay the normal registration fee than to pay $460. It can happen to anyone and I would encourage anyone that "if they know for certain" it is the offspring of the sire and mare that they help out their fellow horsemen. I can assure you that I will. Life is tough enough and times are hard right now for so many of us, people are angrier and more synical now than ever before, or at least I have noticed that. Sad but true....but at least we, as horse people, can try to help each other, especially when we are absolutely "certain" that we are doing the right thing.
smile.gif

Not to worry...the mare is on the stallion report as "pending" registration. This is not a problem. This is really not a bad situation, but public forums lead a lot of folks to assume. This is no one's fault....or perhaps it is mine for not working quickly enough to get the mare hardshipped....I was sick some back then...missed some work and fell a little behind. Who knows....I will take the blame if necessary.....I am just glad that all is working out well. I know the colt....have been around him since birth.....he is who "everything" says that he is and I can assure everyone of that. Actually, I for one am glad that the AMHR allows you to go back and register foals to a mare that has been hardshipped in, long after the foals were born. We could all be in this situation and I am sure that we would much rather get a signature and pay the normal registration fee than to pay $460. It can happen to anyone and I would encourage anyone that "if they know for certain" it is the offspring of the sire and mare that they help out their fellow horsemen. I can assure you that I will. Life is tough enough and times are hard right now for so many of us, people are angrier and more synical now than ever before, or at least I have noticed that. Sad but true....but at least we, as horse people, can try to help each other, especially when we are absolutely "certain" that we are doing the right thing.
smile.gif
On public forums, many points, that may seem irrelevant at the time, are left out when asking a question. Therefore, replies are based on the information given. When additional information is supplied, the response may be different. I hope no one takes offense at generalized statements that are not pointed at any individual. It always pays to be sure. Glad everything is working out.

No offense whatsoever Songcatcher. It was a very "valid" point. Registration issues just drive me crazy sometimes....there is just so much to it...I assume besides the cost that this is "why" some people say...to heck with it...I actually work for the previous owners of this mare. She was on my list of priorities to hardship into AMHR....it was our intention all along, both horses (the mare and the colt) just sold to two different owners before I got it done. She was really no exception as far as the stallion report is concerned because we and even myself for my own farm put "ALL" mares on the AMHR report that are on the AMHA report.....the only difference is when it asks for the registration number....I put pending. This covers you for the future, even if she was not AMHR registered when the breeding actually occured. NOW....I will warn folks that sometimes when you call in asking if your mare was on the AMHR stallion report for that year.....if she was listed as pending, then sometimes they will say "NO".......Always ask them to pull the report for that year and physically "look" at it.....because they can only put into their computer horses that have a current registration number.

I recently hardshipped one of my own mares into AMHR....and am now going back to register her previous foals with them. I am so thankful that she was on each and every report, listed as pending....therefore...I don't have the added expense of the $25.00 late stallion report. Just another little money saving tip here....LOL

Honestly Sherri, I had NO idea you ever owned the mare. This whole time I thought she'd had two owners before me - her breeder (HUGE farm, known name) and then the people who had her at the silent auction I bought her from (another HUGE farm, known name). And actually, to be honest...my friend Barbara bought her!
laugh.gif
Me ended up "owning" her (as well as the other FIVE horses my friend bought) well, that was just one of those things where my friend go overly excited at an auction and raised her hand a few too many times. Oh, and then the issue of her not actually owning any property so she needed a place to "board" all these horses.
no.gif
Yep, that's how I ended up with her!LOL But's she's a STUNNING mare with a first rate pedigree and movement that is beautiful. So, she's been worth it actually.
biggrin.gif

Oh no Parmela...I never did own her.....just was doing and still am doing the horse paperwork for the folks that did. I "usually" do a pretty good job for the volume that I have, but this one sold and was gone before I got her done. I did always love the mare though and ironically she would have probably been a great addition to my farm....but your are right...there were only two owners before you and none were me.....LOL

Well as her CURRENT owner (as soon as I get those transfer papers sent in) I have to agree with those that adore this mare!! I just love to watch her move and she is a great addition to our farm. Her current foal is outstanding too (and a keeper).

This has been a very educational thread and I guess there is no reason for me to hold off on sending in the transfer.

Oh no Parmela...I never did own her.....just was doing and still am doing the horse paperwork for the folks that did. I "usually" do a pretty good job for the volume that I have, but this one sold and was gone before I got her done. I did always love the mare though and ironically she would have probably been a great addition to my farm....but your are right...there were only two owners before you and none were me.....LOL

Oh for Heaven's sake Sherri!!! I don't know where my head is these days! Wait, oh yes I do!!! I lost it during the divorce!
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif
NOW I know exactly who you are and yes, you've got your hands EXETREMELY full!!!! I don't know how you do it. But I'm sure glad you came on here and explained some things. I do think everyone involved fully intended to hardship this mare earlier ranther than later, but it just didn't work out that way. But the good news is NOW SHE IS AMHR and from now on all of her babies can be double registered!!! She's worth it. Gorgeous mare that produces gorgeous babies.

We will get this all worked out!

Happened here, someone bought the mother of a mare I own. She hardshipped into the amhr. Thankfully that person signed my papers as the orginal owner wouldnt work, according to the amhr had to be them and saved me 150 bucks! I was truely grateful. Plus it but that back pedigree on her papers.

Prior to sale of the dam of my mare, that owner was working on getting her amhr but just hadnt gotten that far yet.

Well as her CURRENT owner (as soon as I get those transfer papers sent in) I have to agree with those that adore this mare!! I just love to watch her move and she is a great addition to our farm. Her current foal is outstanding too (and a keeper).

This has been a very educational thread and I guess there is no reason for me to hold off on sending in the transfer.

Congratulations on owning her.....yes....she is beautiful and I wouldn't think twice about transferring her either. Best of luck and a bright future with this nice mare. And Parmela...so sorry you have gone through so much...and hats off to you for remaining such a dear person through it all.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back