Does shivering in the back legs indicate colic/pain?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
I went out for chores this morning and now it's Rosie who doesn't want to leave her stall and she's not eating all her TC30. Oh no. She ate all her hay, had tons of poops and drank a good amount of her water.

From the way she was standing and her refusal to move, made me think laminitis, but heck she's on dry lots (with a shadow of green now and then). Her hooves are cold. Thank goodness.

She stretches a few times--and does that grasshopper thing with her back legs. Discomfort. Colic isn't on my mind because of her stall conditions.

So then I think she much have what Tucker had. I check her temp and it's normal. Thank goodness. I kept thinking of how I had to graze Tucker on wet grass to keep him hydrated and I knew that wasn't a possibility for Rosie. She tried to poop while I was taking her temp.

So she wanders out to the front pasture where the other are eating but she stands in the run in and her back end is shivery. She wanders to another part and lays down. I can feel the shivering. She can't be cold... and no temp. This is a new symptom to me and it scares me. I gave her Banamine and called the vet. She did deposit a big pile of poop out there.

While waiting for the vet to call back, I cleaned her stall to put her in, but she didn't want to go in her stall. This has to be a good sign. The shivering stopped. She stayed with me while I waited for the call. This is not unusual--she oftens stays close to me rather than be with the herd. I decided to offer hay and she happily dove in. She never stopped eating so I cancelled the vet call because there's nothing to see now.

So--this whole story leads me to that symptom of quivering or shivering in the back end--is that a sign of pain? If she ate, pooped, and drank, could I still chalk this up to a mild colic case? Maybe she had a gas bubble?

Your experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this before in a colicky/pain mare. She would stretch out and she was shivering all over.
Okay--that's what I'm looking for. The weird part is she never missed a poop--and the last one was so plentiful. I heard nice gut sounds wile she was munching in the barn too.

I'm headed to get another tube of Banamine just in case. I have two doses left but it's Saturday--and Sunday is my horses favorite day to need a vet.

If she is on a dry lot, it could be sand colic

Do you have her on a physillium regimin?

If she is on a dry lot, it could be sand colic

Do you have her on a physillium regimin?
No. It's been quite wet for weeks so packed down and they are fed on cement areas.

She still seems fine. I tried to talk to a vet while getting the Banamime but the one was on a call.

It may not be necessarily colic. It could have been something else that was causing her pain. If the banamine is helping thats good, I would continue to give that every 6 hrs today, and if she continues to do well back it off to every 12 hrs on Sunday and Monday I would go ahead and have a vet look at her just incase.

This was the case I saw with the mare that was over here. She didn't want to eat, she layed down alot, but not necessarily rolling she was also stretching out in the back legs. She was pregnant so didn't know if she was colicing or aborting as we could still hear gut sounds. We gave her some banamine. Turned out she was allergic to the banamine and it seemed to get worse instead of better, thats when the shivering started and she was really stretching out. Once we didn't hear anymore gut sounds we took her to the vet and they tubed her and she seemed to do a lot better. They gave her a different kind of pain meds, not bute, since she had such a bad reaction to the banamine.

Saw another case of a filly colicking and she stretched out also.

I would sure be giving her Gastro Gard along with the banamine. Banamine is notorious for causing ulcers.

One of my mares is very sensitive to the sudden temperaturw drops that we get here and her first signs are stretching and yawning, if I get there in time it is sufficient to take her for a walk and away from her friends.

Good luck

Is Rosie pregnant? Could she possibly be slipping? It can cause colicky type pain even though everything is going through her system just fine. Just a thought.

Is she possible coming into heat? Large follicle can also cause pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good things to think about here. Thanks.

Since she was fine Mark and I went kayaking as planned and when we got back she is still fine. She was the only one "grazing" when we got back. I saw her pee a good amount and I gave them all more hay. She's eager to munch. I think I will make sure to keep hay in her belly--add more to their days while it's so chilly at night and warm during the day.

She's not pregnant--no stallions here. I have never noticed when she's in heat--but if being in heat could cause pain--I'd lean towards that or a gas colic. Thankfully this looks like an easy one.
default_smile.png

I don't want to give more Banamine unless she gives me a reason to. It worked in 30 minutes this morning--so it'd work fast again. I don't want to add to ulcer possibilities.

barnbum said:
I don't want to give more Banamine unless she gives me a reason to. It worked in 30 minutes this morning--so it'd work fast again. I don't want to add to ulcer possibilities.
I agree with this. Every six hours seems awfully frequent to me!

Maybe it's something in the weather. Turbo had a small gas colic this week as well which I've never had one do at home and it scared me half to death. One dose of Banamine and he was fine, but still. Ugh!

Check out the tying up idea as well, I'm not sure what the exact symptoms are but if she was only shivering in the rear and did not exhibit coordination or neurologic problems back there I'd be looking at things that cause muscle problems in the hind end.

Leia

It could be pain from ovulating, since you said she isn't bred. My experience is that that pain doesn't last long and so likely most cycles you just don't notice it. Of course that is one of many possibilities, but if you don't see it again, that might be the cause.

Please watch her like a hawk! There are a lot of problems that can cause tremors in the rear, viral, and neurol. like West Nile, EMP, and lots more. If you notice she is acting unsteady at all with her rear legs call the vet, not to alarm you as it could have just been mild discomfort, but stay on top. I had a mare with EPM and the first system was weakness in the rear legs, she still had a great appetite. Hope that all is well and it was just a mild gas colic.

Please watch her like a hawk! There are a lot of problems that can cause tremors in the rear, viral, and neurol. like West Nile, EMP, and lots more. If you notice she is acting unsteady at all with her rear legs call the vet, not to alarm you as it could have just been mild discomfort, but stay on top. I had a mare with EPM and the first system was weakness in the rear legs, she still had a great appetite. Hope that all is well and it was just a mild gas colic.
Thanks. I've been staring at her hind legs every time I'm out there. Everything looks normal. Even when she was shivery she walked normally. It truly lasted less than 15 min--it disappeared once the Banamine took effect. I tucked them in early due to warm temps bringing out the mosquitoes, even though they've all had the WNV vaccine.

All is well, it seems. I look forward to sleeping in on weekends--just for 45 min-an hour--but I didn't in case that was the trouble yesterday. I went out at 9:00 last night to give them all more hay and based on how much hay is in their stalls--it was a bit generous.
default_rolleyes.gif
But no pain, no shivering, just a content girl.

A friend has suggested Mare Magic, so I may give that a try. Rosie has a unique quirky personality, and maybe something to ease and balance her ways would be helpful.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back