Does anyone have any articles or..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
I am trying to find out more info on smutty palomino color and would like any accurate info on it or articles pertaining to it. My young palomino pinto stallion who was nice and golden last year is now getting chocolatey looking and getting dark hairs in his tail. His sire is Billy Idol and his dam is a bay pinto. No silver in sire's background that I can see and he didnt have the black hairs in his tail last year so I am relatively certain he is not buckskin. So any info on the smutty gene would be nice.. Thankyou....

I had a palomino roan pinto filly born here a few years ago. She was born a very bright/vivid gold colored palomino. By late that summer when she shed, her coat looked so totally different! She at that time, looked to be more of a silber buckskin the difference was so strong! She looked to have black tipped ears, black above the socks etc. BUT, she is a palomino. She has not looked that way since. I can go through pics and post them if you like...just let me know.

Thanks for the info. He doesnt have black tipped ears but he definitely looks different maybe he is gonna just get a darker shade of gold. I cant remember if his dam was sooty or smutty bay. I guess I will have to see what he looks like when shed or clipped out. I dont care really as he is a nice refined boy. Good legs and teeth. I am actually pretty happy that someone didnt come snatch him up when I had him offered for sale. His color right now is just a little strange looking.

Mona if you wanna post those pictures for me that would be awesome. I would appreciate it.. Thanks..

He sounds pally with the smut modifier....to check just have him DNA'd. there are pallies out there with very dark coats and even dark legs and a lot of dark hairs in mane and tail that probably wouldn't pass classification as a pally...BUT are still genetically palomino
default_smile.png

This likely won't help, but this is what my palomino roan pinto went through.

Here she is at 4 days of age:

smutty4days.jpg

Here she is at 4 months of age:

smutty4months.jpg

smuttyface.jpg

smuttylegs.jpg

As a yearling: (she did not retain the smutty appearance that she did at a weanling age)

smuttyyearling.jpg

And as a 2 year old: (she did not retain the smutty appearance that she did at a weanling age)

smutty2years.jpg

Thanks Mona..

Yeah he looks alot like that right now but of course he still has winter hair. MAybe he will shed it out with his winter coat. Thanks again..

My palomino might be similar to this. Only I have no idea what you would call him. He is a golden palomino with a pure white mane and tail, black legs and darker face. What is that called?

Not sure if it applies to "smutty" or not but a palomino that is getting a lot of high protein will get the dark spots and some times smutty looking. This can be from either protein in alfalfa hay, pellets or commerical feed like a sweet feed. Just an additional 2 cents! Taking off the high protein by the next year should not have the black spots etc. (and no I am not an expert just sharing some of my experiences) Lavonne

MiniHunterHorseFan...

Your horse sounds like a silver bay, not a palomino by your description. Do you have pictures? A lot of people mistake silver bays for palominos or chestnuts...

Andrea

Not sure if it applies to "smutty" or not but a palomino that is getting a lot of high protein will get the dark spots and some times smutty looking. This can be from either protein in alfalfa hay, pellets or commerical feed like a sweet feed. Just an additional 2 cents! Taking off the high protein by the next year should not have the black spots etc. (and no I am not an expert just sharing some of my experiences) Lavonne
Hmm I didnt know that. He is on a 14.5 pellet . Gives me something to think about.. Thanks for the info.

MiniHunterHorseFan...
Your horse sounds like a silver bay, not a palomino by your description. Do you have pictures? A lot of people mistake silver bays for palominos or chestnuts...

Andrea
I don't have a current picture downloaded right down but if you look at the horse in my avatar picture and picture him with black legs and a dark face, that is him.
default_smile.png

I'm with Andrea .... "black" legs sounds like you have a silver bay, if they are black. I have a mare that you would guess to be a well colored pally but, she is not. Either silver chestnut or silver bay. Her color changes dramatically all year with that light winter coat hair from the silvers, she sheds and what a dramatic change
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png
. Never had her tested but know she carries silver and guess there is a chance she has creme in there.......but those silver legs and flax m/t are there year round.

Back