Does anyone have photos of body clipped minis? I have a Color dilemma...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFrazee

Reaction score
I recently clipped Tarr, my colt, and I have a dilemma about color. I am thinking of getting him color tested, just not sure at this point. His sire is a Black Appaloosa that carries the red gene, his dam is solid black but most of the time looks brown.
First two photos are before clipping, Last three photos are after clipping.

001.JPG

002.JPG

008.JPG

004.JPG

011.JPG

Just looks black to me. When they are freshly clipped like that they are going to be lighter then what they should be. That's why so many people asks how much time should I give my horse to bring his color back, etc...

Also unless they are a non-fading black many blacks get sun bleached and turn brown.

My "black" mare looks exactly like that when clipped. And when she has her hair bac, she's a really dark "sable" brown with black points. This is considered black in the miniature horse world. Most "big horse" people, including my vet, would call her brown.

Black
default_smile.png

I was mostly wondering, I forgot to mention he has weird spots that are dark black, there are 3 or four spots the size of a quarter, one behind his left ear, one on his left knee, one on his left front cornet band, and one on his right hock. And lots of tiny, smaller than pencil eraser, spots on his back, sides, neck and hips, that are also dark black.
For some reason my camera doesn't really pick up on how much darker the spots are, but here is a couple photos. Photo one is the spot behind his ear it's kind of half in the shadow. Photo two is the spots along his back, I had to crop it way in for it to load, but there are lots more of these spots, one spot is almost dead center of the photo, one is bottom left corner, and the other is top right corner.

023.JPG

022.JPG

My mare gets those to sometimes. Its the hair growing at a different rate,as the dead shaft of the last shed strand is being released. Once his hair starts to grow, they will disappear
default_smile.png

Clipping removes most of the rich color on a horses coat. I had one that was a pretty deep chestnut, who when clipped, looked peach!!

Well our stallion looked more "blue" when clipped, bu did also have those same little black spots in the black coloring. This is the only shot I have of him after clipping in 2000. This is April 2000.

b9c6.jpg

I don't have pics of him after the hair came back that year. BUT do in 2005 -

7561.jpg

63fc.jpg

He would sunbleach in the sun but was never kept in a barn/stall.

My boy that is black is actually a smokey black, so when he is clipped he gets lighter unlike his father who is a true black gets darker as he is clipped and he also has those little black spots here and there after his first clipping. His dad has a recessive gene so the babys take more of the dam's color on then his.

Latest posts

Back