Do you prefer Modern or Classic and why?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Modern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Classic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All ponies are beautiful in their own way; I personally prefer the head of the 'original' shetland with the big eyes . The american shetland is just poetry in motion but, as I said once before, I really don't think it should be known as a 'shetland' as it has no semblance of the original english shetland and it surprises me that an original name has not been chosen. Some of the english shetlands can be a little coarse but the head wins me every time hence that is why I also happen to love the arab horses.

Remember, the American Shetland Pony Club actually predates the Shetland Pony Studbook Society in the UK by a few years so is technically the older registry.

That said, from the beginning the American public wanted a different type of pony than the folks on Shetland did. The ponies the folks on Shetland sold to the US were often considered by them to be culls - too refined, too long of leg, too tall, etc. This is exactly what the American's wanted though and they thought they were getting all the best ponies from the islands! LOL

Here is an example of an early ASPC pony who is from imported stock:

HowardB.jpg

This is Howard B and he was #4 in the ASPC stud book, foaled in 1888, and his parents were the imported ponies Sparkle and Dot.

I like the American Shetland pony as a whole, all types but have to say that like like my foundation certified, modern hall of fame stallion the best! Confusing for the newcomers but he qualifies in bloodline as a foundation Shetland but is extreme in body type and was shown to his hall of fame as a modern (not modern pleasure) Shetland. To most everyone Squire just looks like a little Arabian.

SquireBigTrotAug2004.jpg

Very pretty pony. He does look like an Arabian. So Foundation does not have to mean the heavier body build? I though that Foundation was heavier boned, Classic is Lighter boned, and Modern is the Hackney type.

You are correct on your definition of type, however a horse can have a foundation seal if it qualifies, that does not mean that you should show it foundation. The shetlands are shown by type, if they have A papers they can show in any division again you want to show them by type, if they are B papered regardless of what type they may actually be, then they can only show as a Modern or Modern Pleasure. Just becuase its papers have a foundation seal does not mean that is what division they will show in. Anyways that is my intake on it. I personally love Moderns, but have several Classics and they are all foundation certified, but have only show one so.

Wow, so is there a book about all this ? The minis seem so much easier to understand, you have A size and B size, no type, just size. I'm really going to have to learn more on the shetland types and how to show each type, that sort of stuff.

I like the American Shetland pony as a whole, all types but have to say that like like my foundation certified, modern hall of fame stallion the best! Confusing for the newcomers but he qualifies in bloodline as a foundation Shetland but is extreme in body type and was shown to his hall of fame as a modern (not modern pleasure) Shetland. To most everyone Squire just looks like a little Arabian.

SquireBigTrotAug2004.jpg

Squire is just ADORABLE! He really seems to have it all and the arabian head to boot.

Squire is just ADORABLE! He really seems to have it all and the arabian head to boot.

Thanks! He has a really nice head and usually puts a dish and a tiny muzzle on all of his foals no matter what the mare's head is like. Even my foals by modern mares have had refined heads, although usually not the dish. Squire is a son of Bar G's Rock "E" and his dam is Bears Fashionable Lady.

Latest posts

Back