Do you prefer Modern or Classic and why?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Modern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Classic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
I've never had a Shetland, except the pony I had when I was 5. Which do you prefer, Modern and Classic. And what makes the difference? And can you get a Modern under 38in so it can be an AMHR over?

Hello,

Yes there have been moderns under 38'', actually i believe Michigans Heart Breaker was ASPC/AMHR registerd and he is a modern. I know their have been more as well.

I prefer the classics
default_smile.png
. I would suggest someone looking to start with the shetlands start with the classics, then watch the moderns and if you really have your heart set on the moderns then go for it. I think it would be much easier to go from minis to classics, rather then go from minis to moderns lol. It takes ALLOT of money to keep a modern shod, then agian, you could also look into the modern pleasure division as all the fancy plates, shoes ext are not required nor weights ext. I LOVE the moderns, nothing is more beautiful then a modern fine harness horse, i drool watching those classes! I like allot of action and allot of refinement and tude' so the shetland pony is right up my ally
default_smile.png
. I am sure someday i'll get a modern just for fun, for now the classics will take care of my addiction
default_smile.png

I've been doing the shetlands for only two years and i have seen every class and all the behind the scenes work ext and i just do not feel ready to show a modern at the moment. Thats a little ways off still for Leeana ...

I like the classics, larger classics ALTHOUGH hopefully someday i can try my hand with a modern. The classics are just beautiful and so gracefull and full of spunk. I have a foundation gelding too, however, i like the taller classics.

Here is an example of the 'type' i like, she is a weanling currenly and going to mature around 44'' - 45''. So refine and beautiful, she is a 3/4 sister to Alpha Farms Classical Bobcat and by a King Lee son.

Alpha Farms Magical Melody ASPC Pending AKA Kitty

12-2.jpg

kittywittysitting.jpg

I have to admit, if i had gotten into shetlands before miniatures ..i prob would have stuck with the shetlands, however it didnt work out that way and the reason i got into the shetlands was because of the miniatures. I love my minis, but the ponies are far more fun imho!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loveeeeeee kitty!! cant wait to see you show her leeanna

I have a modern pleasure and she was our first pony. I love her to death! We have never put shoes or pads on her and she did show well back in her day. But mainly I prefer classics as I am doing miniature horse/shetland pony crosses.

I just dont have it in me to do the shoes etc that it takes for a modern pony.

The classics are just so smart and fun to train

I had Miniatures before getting my Shetland, and voted here for Classics. My pony, BG, is a Classic and I think he's wonderful. If I can at some point I would love to get a Modern, too...

I too love the classics as they are my favorite and I like the taller ones. I like to watch the moderns but have no desire to own one.

Kim

I voted for Modern. I have three of them and I just LOVE them. They are the horse I've always aspired to own.

That said, you can't deny the beauty and kindness of the Classic. The Classic American Shetland is a beautiful pony and I am just AMAZED at the consistency of quality at Congress. They ALL are amazingly correct with wonderful toplines, upright hooky necks, and beautiful little heads. To pick the champion it seems truly comes down to the nuances of type and conformation. AND they move beautifully, too. Coming from the minis, where conformation and movement runs a huge range... I just appreciate how truly consistent in quality they are.

But the Moderns... well although they are a little more "homely" to look at than the Classic... it is their extreme motion and fiery attitude that just wins me over. I like a hot horse, and I like a horse that looks good under harness. And, they are small so a lot cheaper to feed and maintain than a Saddlebred or something! I agree with others though... unlike the Classics they do require shoes, a lot of time to work with for headsets and motion, and they require those "trade secrets" to get the most out of their action to be competitive. Getting into Moderns is daunting, but I just loooove these guys! They are smart as a whip and will give you every ounce of their energy for you at the drop of a hat. They are just plain fun.

I truly think that AMHR registered Moderns are in the future of the miniature horse... just waiting to see my prediction come true in another five years or so...

Andrea

I currently have a classic......however I WILL have a modern some day.

No, those are too course even for Foundation her in the US. The American Shetland was selectively bred for refinement and as a light harness driving pony whereas the UK Shetland is more of a draft type animal.

Check out the home page links in signature lines to see some great examples of American Shetlands.

Do they have English or British Shetland's here in the U.S.?

barefoot Posted Today, 09:33 PM Do they have English or British Shetland's here in the U.S.?
Im sure there are some, but they would be very very rare. I local friend of mine breeds and imports Dartmoore ponies and she is importing a shetland from oversea's and i cannot wait to see it, i told her i am going to steal it and bring it home to show everyone on the forum lol! But like i said, there is most likely less then a handful of them Island shetlands here in the united states. My friend says she see's a few at the rare breed shows she does. It costs allot to import a horse
default_smile.png

barefoot Posted Today, 09:33 PM Do they have English or British Shetland's here in the U.S.?
Im sure there are some, but they would be very very rare.
There are UK Shetlands in the States. There is a yahoogroup that is dedicated to the UK Shetlands and they have a registry, etc. Maybe even some shows. I am sorry I don't have all that information, but if you search yahoogroups you can probably locate it and find help from someone on that list.

Michelle

We love to see and watch the Moderns but dont know much about them. We do raise the Classic Shetlands and Love them
default_wub.png

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

The largest breeder of imported UK Shetland ponies here in the states are owned by Personal Ponies LTD. They use them specifically for their breeding program. They prefer a smaller, huskier pony for their program with dis-abled children. ASPC does NOT recognize UK Shetland ponies and stopped allowing them into the registry back in 1955 ....They decided it was time to stop bringing in more UK ponies because the breed "here" in the US is called, the "AMERICAN" Shetland Pony and it had evolved and still is, to a very sleek lined, very NON UK looking Shetland Pony.

I personally think the UK Shetlands are darling and would love to have one, although I don't think I could ever affors one. Cheap to buy in the UK, but the importation fees are A LOT!

Again personally I like a breed for the Foudation and Classic American Shetland pony because they remind me more of the first Shetland ponies who were brought to this country and bred. I LOVE to watch the Moderns as they are so exciting to see strut their stuff, but I don't believe I want one.

JMO,

Jenny
default_smile.png

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM Is this modern or classic shows? Whats the difference?
The moderns, classics and foundations are all different 'types' of American Shetlands. The American Shetland is a breed in whole. The moderns have a mix of Hackney blood which is why they possess more extreme movement.

The classics and foundations have less movement (for the most part) and dont carry any hackney blood in the upfront pedigree.

The moderns and classics show at the same AMHR/ASPC shows but in different classes and division.

I voted for Modern. I have three of them and I just LOVE them. They are the horse I've always aspired to own.

That said, you can't deny the beauty and kindness of the Classic. The Classic American Shetland is a beautiful pony and I am just AMAZED at the consistency of quality at Congress. They ALL are amazingly correct with wonderful toplines, upright hooky necks, and beautiful little heads. To pick the champion it seems truly comes down to the nuances of type and conformation. AND they move beautifully, too. Coming from the minis, where conformation and movement runs a huge range... I just appreciate how truly consistent in quality they are.

But the Moderns... well although they are a little more "homely" to look at than the Classic... it is their extreme motion and fiery attitude that just wins me over. I like a hot horse, and I like a horse that looks good under harness. And, they are small so a lot cheaper to feed and maintain than a Saddlebred or something! I agree with others though... unlike the Classics they do require shoes, a lot of time to work with for headsets and motion, and they require those "trade secrets" to get the most out of their action to be competitive. Getting into Moderns is daunting, but I just loooove these guys! They are smart as a whip and will give you every ounce of their energy for you at the drop of a hat. They are just plain fun.

I truly think that AMHR registered Moderns are in the future of the miniature horse... just waiting to see my prediction come true in another five years or so...

Andrea
I voted Modern - have loved them since I was little and read "Easter Pony" and "The Show Ring, Easter Pony Grows Up" about an orphaned Shetland Pony who was a Modern.

Agreed but I feel I am lucky - one Modern I had looked at was a beautifully conformed horse but could not move without stretchies as a foal. Neffie is growing into her attitude and her modified diet - her tongue is paralyzed from the tip to 2 inches up so she is on a slurry diet - and I cannot feel her ribs like I could before.

The picture below is Neffie this past spring before she was diagnosed. She was not moving out like she does now and this is how she naturally goes.
default_wub.png

000_5097_00.jpg

I hope this is not a huge picture.

I love the Moderns but have seen some Classics I would love in my barn if I was shopping for a new horse. I have two Morgan yearlings and they are big versions of my Shetland.

Denise

Silversong Farm

(edited to remove the duplicate quote and picture - Lewella)

The classics and foundations have less movement (for the most part) and dont carry any hackney blood in the upfront pedigree.
To clarify -

A "B" papered pony is a pony that is 12.5% or more outcross. The approved outcrosses when the ASPC was open were Hackney, Welsh, Americana, and Harness Show Pony. The ASPC is now a closed registry and eventually under the current rules all bloodlines will eventually revert from "B" papered to A papered as the percentage of outcross behind them decreases. A "B" papered pony can show in only Modern or Modern Pleasure classes.

An "A" papered pony one that is 12.5% or less outcross. An A papered pony can show Classic, Modern, or Modern Pleasure depending on its body type and movement.

A Foundation Certified pony is one that has 4 generations of all "A" papered ponies in its pedigree. That means all A's in the 3 generations on the papers and 1 generation off the papers. (When a registration number in a pedigree appears without an "A" or a "B" behind it predates the "A" and "B" pedigree designations and is considered an "A" when figuring Foundation eligiblity). A Foundation Certified pony can show in ANY division it qualifies on based on type and height.

So basically Foundation ponies are the best? Can you have an ASPC Foundation that is a classic and AMHR registered?

Foundation shetlands aren't "the best"... it is just a division where the pony can be a little heavier in type than the Classics tend to be... they MUST meet the smaller height requirement and they MUST meet the bloodline requirement. A quality Shetland is a quality Shetland... be it Foundation or Modern. It just depends on what type of pony YOU like best!

You can have ponies of all types (Foundation, Classic, or Modern) registered AMHR as long as it meets that height requirement. MOST of the AMHR register-able Shetlands are Foundation or Classic, but a few are Moderns.

Andrea

Back