Do you have big horses? Ride?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I have a big horse? Do I ride? I think this answers both questions:

225850878.jpg

This is me riding my clydesdale gelding, Bailey. We're both a few years older now, and don't ride as much. He's a grand old man at 21 and I can't imagine my life without him. Here he is with the rest of the herd:

344237894.jpg

Bailey probably needs to read the thread (over on the other forum) about storing minis with larger horses. ...handsome fellow!

I love my little goobs, but every time someone rides through our area I stare in envy and wonder if you can ride if you have a hip replacement.

I love my little goobs, but every time someone rides through our area I stare in envy and wonder if you can ride if you have a hip replacement.
I would just ask your doctor. I know people do it after knee replacements, but if you are totally healed and you ride easy on a nice quiet horse, I see no reason that you couldn't??

AngC, I'd ask your doctor. I can honestly say I ache all over after riding because of old age bones but I'm not willing to give it up. I do ride a smaller 14 hand Norwegian Fjord. Just something about being closer to the ground that feels better to me now. Since we're sharing pictures, here's one of my beautiful girl waiting to head out on a trail ride.

2012june26thsylvie 001.JPG

Oh, Mountain Woman! When my clydesdale goes on to his great reward, his replacement is going to be a fjord!! I LOVE them and am so looking forward to going from 17:2 hands off the ground to 14! Your girl is so beautiful and I hope I can find one that won't break the bank. They seem to be particularly expensive here on the west coast.

We have 2 paints, a palomino QH and a appendix grey Q.H. We ultimate trail ride.

Its interesting to read all of your different stories of your horses--And thanks for posting pics--yall have such beautiful horses! =)

Jayne, your Clydesdale is beautiful! My gypsy vanner looks like a smaller image of him. He is lovely.

Thank you, Carolyn! I think he's pretty handsome, too! The best part is that he's so sweet, and in spite of his size is not intimidating at all. He just has this loveable-goofy personality that draws people to him, especially kids. When he was a wheeler in a 6 horse hitch, he was the one who they brought out for people to meet and get their hands on, because he loves people and is about as safe as a horse can get. As long as I'm on the topic of HIM, here's a picture of his pretty blue eyes:

154127918.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We own 5 big horses but we do not ride them, they are Standardbred Harness horses.. We have 3 racehorses and two retired broodmares.. Here is one of our racehorses from a few years ago that I managed to get a great picture of on the track..

brig1.JPG

Very nice horses!

I own a Grade QH gelding named Jesse. He is a former cutting horse and is now just a big pet.

I grew up riding and showing hunter/jumper and trails. I haven't rode much in years. I took lessons / showed from the age of 4 to 17. I am 25 now and hope one day to get back into riding whenever time allows.

I have owned two Paints, a TB (off the track), an Appendix QH and my current QH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Lou, aren't standardbreds just the best! My big boy is an ott standy and is just a love. Too bad he is just pasture sound but we love him to death anyway. If I do get another riding horse I want it to be another standardbred. Can't say enough good stuff about them.

I have a couple of Icelandic Horse's I still ride. Use them as Hippotherapy.

Love hearing about evey one's horse and nice to see other gaited horses out there. VBG

Thank you for the advice, Mona and MountainWoman.

Unfortunately, I kinda' got out of the loop with the surgeon (a very nice lady) but I'm not fond of doctors and somewhere in there I saw some late-night, lawyer commercials about metal on metal implants. So I never went back when I should have. [...WHAT... do I have to go back and get sliced open so they can replace it....] It's starting to "bite" me now. {...didn't have much choice at the time regarding replacment, but I never really thought what would happen if they recalled a fake body-part.)

My husband is really starting to worry me; if he anticipates that I might want something, he does it. I am trying to be responsible and sure hope he doesn't come home with more animals (plus I'm trying to stave off the matter of breeding which I thought was already settled.) Tonight I wrested a promise from him that we would find a stable (somewhere, anywhere) and try to see if I could ride. And he agreed he would ride too. ...SIGH.

Latest posts

Back