Do you have a tail maintenance routine?

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by Huckleberry Hooves, Jun 9, 2019.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Jun 9, 2019 #1

Huckleberry Hooves

Huckleberry Hooves

Huckleberry Hooves

Hello all! Today was my day to wash tails and re-bag them(for the ones that wear a bag) and came to thinking what everyone else does. Do you bag their tail or just leave it? Grow it out or cut it? Please share your routine or plans! I would love to know what you all do!

2. Jun 9, 2019 #2

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

I just leave them loose. One of mine has seborrhea so he get special shampoos. The other one grows a long tail and I trim it so it skims the ground. Any longer than that he steps on it and pulls it out in hunks :confused:

3. Jun 9, 2019 #3

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Dapper Dan grows a luxurious tail. I keep it trimmed just above the ground. He gets a scaly tailbone so I wash it with Selsun Blue every month or so. I spritz on a moisturizer at grooming time and I have an aerosol that has uv blocker. My new mare has a thin tail. We are working on getting it into better condition. It is looking much shinier already. I keep it trimmed and use the moisturizer on it. I don't like their tails to drag the ground; for me that isn't a good look, but I know many people consider it quite elegant. I don't bag them, as they are out in the pasture. When we are going to an outing, I braid his tail and it looks like a movie star with a nice glossy wave.

4. Jun 10, 2019 at 8:15 PM #4

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

I trim mine just above the fetlock. I usually give them a good trim before winter. I agree with the above, though I will add, I cannot stand seeing a horses tail dragging in the mud.