Do you have a horse at a trainers??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticking to answering your questions. How much credit it yours? I don't have a horswe with a trainer, at the present but if I did I would give the trainer credit for the training he/she would do. Could I place like a trainer? Absolutely not! I would place a horse with a trainer when and if I have the right one for more reasons than one. A good trainer can present a horse to its best. Not saying there aren't owner handlers that do a terrific job. Do you show horses that are not with a trainer..has that horse ever been with a trainer? The only horse we have ever had trained was my driving mare because my husbqand wanted to learn, at that time, how to do it and the trainer came to our place and taught him right along with the horse. I raised Shelties for some years and learned then that a handler can give your animal the edge it needs to win. But here agin there were many owner handlers that done really well. I think we ll know of a couple of owner handlers on this forum that does a super job showing their horses but all of us just don't have the capabilities or knack for doing our horses justice in the ring. My husband has started doing some showing locally but I will stick to doing what I do best which is grooming and making sure everyone has the attention they need. Mary

Frankie said:
You are involved. Been reading a lot on the forum the past few weeks, by far more reading than I have done before. How much credit is yours? How much the trainers? Do you think you could place the way the trainer does? If so, why is your horse at a trainer?

Do you show horses too that are not with a trainer? Has that horse ever been at a trainer though?

Having a horse at a trainers that does very well, does that make you more qualified as to what it takes to be a champion, or what a champion is? Or did you just pick the right trainer?

Just curious as to how it all comes across to you.

438937[/snapback]

Lyn

Thanks for you comment about Bruce Abbot I was wondering what his fees were. I saw him performing at the Hookstown show. I was wondering if he will take any horse or only the ones he thinks will place well.

I was training my gelding to drive myself, but now realize it would have been a lot safer to have someone else do it, that knows what they are doing.
biggrin.gif

I am just thinking down the road some. I have a yearling stallion I might want someone to train to drive in about 2-3 years from now.

(My husbund does not know this yet
wink.gif
) But I am thinking of my health here.

Deb

I think there are many different types of trainers. I don't think a horse shown by a professional trainer is any better than one shown by an amateur, that is not what makes the horse win. The difference is having the glory that you showed and placed well, I think it also depends on what you are wanting, don't get me wrong I love to win!!! Im very competitive, but I do this for fun and thier is no better feeling walking out of a class with the reserve champion mare that you showed and trained for halter. I have had Disneyhorse show my stallion for me because I knew he would show much better for her and he did...

Magic and myself sent 2 horses to a trainer in Phoenix to be trained to drive. They were there 2 1/2 months and they were broke to drive, we took them to thier first show ever this past weekend in Norco, they did awesome, and we were driving not the trainer.

However I also use DisneyHorse here on the forum to train ME and my daughter Jessica. She is super, very patient and calm (she needs to be to deal with me)
wacko.gif
. She has helped me to train my own horses to drive as well. So while these 2 horses were at a professional that I was paying for, I was also breaking 2 horses here at home with the help of Disneyhorse. She comes once or twice a week and I pay her by the hour. She tells me what im doing wrong or right for that matter, and I also showed the 2 green horses in the show this weekend and they did just as good as the 2 who had been at a trainer. The 2 I had trained had less time on them. But they know me and what I expect and what im asking. None had an accident and that is the best part of all of it. The 2 I trained never broke gait at the show, the other 2 that had been at the trainer both broke gait. The professional trainer was $275 a month.

biggrin.gif
I send some of my horses to the trainer and some I train myself. ALL of the halter horses I have done on my own and we have done quite well. Most of my driving horses are trained by E Pony Farm. They have done extremely well by me. They have made my horses a joy and pleasure to drive. My time is very limited as I am avery busy farrier with 3 kids and 10 horses, so training driving horses is tough for me to do consistently. Every horse I have sent them has come home sound sane and happy. {When I pull onto the show grounds and they hear Bill and Frans voices they whinny to them.] I find that a high compliment. Bill has driven my stallion to THREE national grand champion titles , my little gray mare also has THREE national grand champion titles in country pleasure driving. Our black mare has a res national grand champion title in country pleasure driving. The titles are great but the friendship and knowledge the have given me is far more priceless. If you are looking for a trainer find one that spends his time with the horses not showing off for the customers. I have beaten my trainer in classes and I have also beaten many other well known trainers. I did that by learning from them. Linda B Also I'm horseman enough to know when someone else can do a better job than me and thats more fair for the horse.
wub.gif

pam..

Let me tell you to have a horse (meaning to have the eye to purchase one or to breed one) that John Eberth will handle for you well that in itself is something to be VERY proud of and quite an accomplishment.

Not to mention an honor
smile.gif

Dont let others bring you down there is so much to showing and most of it depends on the competition so for me placing high in a ring of decent horses is ok but seeing my horse place (with a trainer handling her) in the ring with some TOP horses and TOP national contenders well that sure does just as much for me and makes me just as proud

I do all my own training and conditioning on big horses and the minis. Love it. It's a great way to bond and very self-gratifying.

In Florida we worked horses year round and showed year round. Because we could!

But up here in the winter? Are you nuts? Does anyone feel the need to go outside to work a horse in the snow and ice and freeze their little miminyas off?
ohmy.gif
It ain't me!!!!!
no.gif

But there are winter days when it's like 40 and sunny outside and not muddy or icey and that's cool with me.

But the problem with that is that it is starting and stopping a conditioning program and that is unhealthy and can lead to all sorts of sore muscles and things like that.

I mean like, say, I am working a horse in the winter for 5 days a week, 20 minutes a day. And then here comes a stupid blizzard that puts ice on the ground for 2 weeks. So, ok I stopped the exercise. Now it's gone and I resume that conditioning. Fine. No, not fine because here comes another stupid snow storm now and I again have to delay conditioning due to weather conditons again for another week or month even. So for me, it's better that I be on a exercise program that I can stick to.

Now, the showing the minis is still very new to me and I would not mind the guidence of a professional mini trainer at all. When Sheryl was here from Irish Springs I learned more by watching her in a few minutes than I could have learned by myself in weeks. It was very beneficial. Would I prefer her to take my horses in the ring instead of me? Heck yeah....she's a whole lot better looking!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Frankie said:
You are involved. Been reading a lot on the forum the past few weeks, by far more reading than I have done before. How much credit is yours? How much the trainers? Do you think you could place the way the trainer does? If so, why is your horse at a trainer?

Do you show horses too that are not with a trainer? Has that horse ever been at a trainer though?

Having a horse at a trainers that does very well, does that make you more qualified as to what it takes to be a champion, or what a champion is? Or did you just pick the right trainer?

Just curious as to how it all comes across to you.

438937[/snapback]

If I have a horse at a trainer's, and the trainer is showing the horse, then about all the credit *I* get is that I was the breeder, lol! And was smart enough to send the horse to a good trainer. I'm still proud of my horse though. I can't place as well as a trainer can, not in halter. I'm just not talented enough. I do pretty well in driving though.

I do show horses that are not with a trainer, and that have never been to a trainer's. My B gelding Magic Mist Color On Fire is one. It does make me proud when a horse like him is trained exclusively by me, and does well. Other horses I've shown, I've had lessons, learning how to show my horses better, but I was always the one handling my horses. And I've sent horses to trainers to be conditioned and shown.

Those horses that have won with a trainer, well, that doesn't "qualify" me as some kind of "champion maker", IMO, but I'm just as happy when my horse wins, trainer or not. I just like horse shows and horses, lol!!

Latest posts

Back