Do you ever sleep with your windows open?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I love it really cool when I'm sleeping, and the last several nights have been in the 60's, which I would love! But I just can't open those windows! Every time I try leaving the bedroom windows open the racket from the insects keeps me awake. But even worse are the whippoorwills! All night long! And they seem to like hanging around the house. One night I actually went outside to shoot a gun off into the air to disperse them and two of them were sitting right on the deck rail. Then, just before dawn, (and I do NOT like getting up before dawn)!!!, the birds start in. I like to sleep till 7 AM, but the birds think I should wake up at 4:30 AM. Also, usually around 11 PM and on into the night the coyotes are howling like banshees.

So, I just give up my cool, fresh air, and keep the A/C running at night to keep me cool, plus I have to have a fan blowing on me. I sort of like the humming of the fan, and I like the cool breeze. I should probably just put a ceiling fan over the bed.

Do you ever sleep with your windows open[/

All the time. Every night. Drives hus out of his mind. I don't care if the AC is on and its hot or if its 10 degrees outside I have to have my window open even if its only a little bit.

I especially love to hear raindrops or wind or a big storm going on outside. It helps me get to sleep.

Now sometimes that dang rooster somewhere in the neighborhood gets crazy making a lot of noise and wakes me up and then I'll have to get up and shut the window. But I always have it opened up when I get in bed.

Often... but, some nights I just can't stand the nature noises, so have to shut the window. Living out in the country, I have grown accustomed to the noises, but sometimes its just too much.

I LOVE sleeping with the windows open - and we have been very blessed these past two weeks that our weather has been gorgeous and we haven't had to run the AC. I have also gotten very used to having a fan running, so I have to have that noise or I can't sleep. Drives my husband a little crazy.

Barbara

Rarely! I'm security conscious and the windows are alarmed. I can disable, but again -- highly security aware. License to carry level of aware
shoot.gif

That said, I do have a ceiling fan above the bed and A/C going. I keep it like 65 at night, but pile on the blankets. At night, I want to breath cool air but be toasty warm
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Marty ALWAYS.. do not need to worry about security..dogs and horses take care of that.

I am a bit neurotic and need to be able to hear the horses in the barn. Anything unusual and I hear it and it wakes me up Now normal sounds like a bucket banging or neighbors pawing do not even wake me - not even the neighbors roosters or birds but.. a guy a couple houses down just got sheep they did wake me up the first couple of days - Ok well truth be told I do not sleep all that well to begin with and am usually looking at 2-3 hours tops a night so guess waking up is not that big of a deal since I do it anyway lol .

I also need the fresh air so even during the winter my window is open while I sleep

Like Marty ALWAYS.. do not need to worry about security..dogs and horses take care of that.
Huh? I've got the dog part covered but to date, none of my horses have come to my defense
default_biggrin.png
But at WFM, there's always ADT and guns
default_yes.gif

Used to - until a BAT found it's way through a broken screen and into the house!

Now I'm too paranoid to even open the windows at night. . . just a little fruit bat, but not something you want to find in the bedroom at 2 am! It's funny now, wasn't then
default_new_shocked.gif

Yep all the time, and then I put a fan in front of the window to suck in the cool air. By morning Im all snuggled in the blanket and sleeping like a baby. Security does bother me, but doors are all locked, and with a pretty blue tarp for a patio door right now, not sure how secure out house is anyway.

nope....messes up my allergies...I like the sounds, but my allergies get worse when I leave the windows open, so the a/c runs at our house too.

Both m husband and I open our windows at nite except in mid winter when the temperatures in the below zeros. Then there is a risk of frost bite lol, plus the windows could freeze open and I don't like paying to heat the great outdoors. I absolutely love the sounds of nature, we have thousands of song birds that nest nearby and there is nothing I like more than waking up to them singing in the summer. Storms, coyotes, even the wind is soothing to me. I don't even mind the crows that occasionally drop by or the magpie flock we have visiting our yard at the moment. I do however, dislike the sound of people. Fortunately we are isolated enough that that is rarely a problem (unless hubby begins to snore
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
then its time to put in the earplugs)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am too chicken to leave the windows open, too many idiots running around at night.

BUT I have accidentally left a window open at night and when I find out it creeps me out.

We take it a step further and sleep outdoors when it's warm enough (rare this summer...I don't think we've made it to 90 F yet). Of course, we have the vicious Maltese and the blind Toy Poodle to protect us, and Scarlet says that if anyone bothers us, she'll break their arms.

Pretty much every night in summer I have the windows open. It cools off wonderfully here at night except for a few rare times, with temps in the 60's and below. Love it!

We are in a rural area, crimes are rare around here, but I do take precautions. We have the two LGDs in the fields, they alert strongly when someone comes here, and then we have the big inside dogs who do not take kindly to intruders.
default_wink.png
Also have guns if they were to be necessary. And yes, I am very familiar with shooting guns.
default_smile.png

Hee hee Jill ya my attack horses.. no they do not come to my defense although I have a feeling if they thought there walking pez dispenser was in trouble they would - they do however let me know if anyone is wandering around the place. One of my ponies will have a big ol cow if I move the manure rake over a few feet he needs everything the same all the time so something like a person where they do not belong at a time they do not belong there sets him into a total tizzy which of course gets everyone else going. Seeing as he is in a stall about 20 feet from my bedroom window he will wake me up
default_laugh.png

Although they do as a herd attack any dog that comes into the pasture

I love it, Lisa!!! Walking Pez Dispenser
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin
default_biggrin.png

Our horses whinny and think the neighbors may feed them if it's -- oh say, within 6hrs of meal time. They whinny and try to get their attention, despite the fact that the neighbors have yet to feed them during the past 12 years. And they are equally convinced that any visiting "stranger" may also grant the gift of feed. Oh, our horses are eternally optimistic
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
default_laugh.png

Love sleeping with the windows open. Especially when it's brisk out or raining

As often as possible! Usually from mid to late May until well into Sept, sometimes even Oct (depending on the year), windows are open 24/7. I just can't do it when it starts dipping toward frost temps though.....brrrr.....

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back