Things you never think of....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
Like trimming a mane that gets dreadlocks. I do keep mares with foals manes trimmed, but rarely thought of a single horse. Until last night...

It stormed all afternoon, so I hid inside. When I fed, I got to the back fields. Boomerang and Players were up, ready for dinner. Misty was midfield, just standing there. I got grain, called to her, she answered back, but didn't come in. Fed the guys, called her again, she answered again.... but still didn't come in. I really look over, she seems to have caught a hind foot, perhaps in a weed....

NO. It's in her MANE. She had scratched her neck and got a loop of mane caught in her pastern. I went flying out, unhooked her foot and released it. Poor girl stood there shaking. I have no idea how long she had been like that. It hadn't cut off the circulation to her hoof, but she must have been so sore. She just wanted to lie down. I put her in a stall, she promptly rolled and then just rested. I pushed her bowl over to her, and she ate dinner lying down. I went out about an hour later, she was still down. I made her get up and walk a bit, gave some Banamine and let her rest. She was up and fine this morning.

She has one of those fine manes that tangle in a breeze, let alone a storm. Well, I fixed it. I chopped it. Not a full roach. It'll grow back and right now I don't want her to do THAT again!

You can see how long and fine her hair is...misty2_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness what a scare!! I'm so glad she is alright. You are right..things you just never think of!

These horse I swear could find something dangerous in a rubber room.

oh my, not nice.....

Mare's with foals, you keep their manes trimmed? is that for the same reason, so the foal wont be playing about and get tangled up in mum?

Sooooooo many things to think about being a new mini owner, and a new mini foal owner-to-be

I trimmed Crystal's forelock to hopefully stop her eye constantly watering, it worked, but the poor girl isn't going to win any beauty contests with my hairdressing skills.

Now does she have to contend with me trimming her mane once the foal is born? - I better practice on something so I don't totally humiliate her with my trimming techniques

Never thought of that! My boy has dreadlocks, will keep them untangled and trimmed. His mane is so thick.

Yes, if it's a mare with fine hair, it gets cut back. Baby could get a leg caught and break it. I have mares with think hair that never tangles. Misty and now Fancy seem to enjoy their dreadlocks...

cowboy magic is great for combing out the dreads.

Rather than cutting the mane another option would be really fat braids, loose at the top so the hair doesn't pull and irritate but not so loose they can put a hoof through, work well.

Latest posts

Back