Do you all have a "stash" of crafting items?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I quilt and sometimes I look at all my fabrics and think I'm a mini hoarder!!
default_whistling.gif
I have 2 dressers and a large cabinet full of fabric!

Just wondering if you all "stock up" in advance or only buy stuff only when your making something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am addicted to stashing craft items. I wish I had a notebook where I had written down what I bought some things for.

We are moving later this summer and I am so looking forward to having a craft room. Don't know that it will never be truly organized, but just having room to leave things lay until the next day will be like heaven. I spend so much time getting my stuff out and in a few hours putting my stuff away.

I would start a notebook now, but I have controlled my buying lately to buying for what I am working on (but only after searching through "my stash" to make sure I don't have the perfect material already). Not sure how long this will last but maybe at least until we are home on our farm again.

Lois

Stash? What stash?
default_whistling.gif

My crafting is mostly recycled. I have stashes everywhere of bits and pieces, scraps and trims, buttons and buckles, string and leather, iron and rusty stuff.

Occasionally I go through things and do a purge, and generally regret it afterward. But the purge at least helps me familiarize myself with my supplies!

OMG I'm not alone!!!
default_aktion033.gif
I can so relate with both of you!! IF I decide to part with something I also feel regret about it! And it's super hard to use my favorite fabric(which they ALL are
default_blush.png
) and usually go buy more"to fit" the project, if I have the cash! LOL! And man, I buy stuff with a purpose and goal in mind but heaven forbid I can remember what that was!! LOL! I should write my ideas down too!! LOL!

This quilt was almost completely a "stash quilt", I already had all the FQs used in the body of the quilt, I only added the border and binding fabric. I even had the piece of cream flannel I used for backing in my stash.

Als quilt - complete - Oct 24, 2012.jpg

I did at one time buy fabric just because I liked it, and now I have a cupboard full of fabric, and lots of it are now "what was I thinking" pieces or too small for many projects. So, I'm trying to only buy for specific projects. Actually, at the moment I'm trying to only use fabrics already in my stash, which is difficult, as nothing coordinates with anything else.
default_doh.gif

Like was said before... what stash? LOL

My main stash is wool, for spinning! Then Art supplies.

I love your quilts Chanda!

I have bits & bobs here and there. I have one of those plastic 3 drawer things from Walmart full of things to make my show bows. But it's full and I have stuff all over!
default_thud.gif

I totally have a stash in two big dresser drawers filled with supplies. I keep it stocked up as best I can. Every time there is a good sale at Hobby Lobby I am there to stock up and I also keep my eyes open to new products. I have one drawer full of different kinds of glue that Dan calls my glue factory. Bad boy he is! LOL!

Oh dear! Do I ever! I just started crocheting late last fall and I already have a fabulous/terrible stash of yarn. :O

20130207_120913-1.jpg

I quilt and so I have fabric. I used to keep it in a large dresser but found if I wanted a certain color, I had to really dig to find it. I recently went to Wal Mart and purchased four big plastic, see thru bins. Just like the ones Annabellarose used for her yarn, but maybe not quite so big. I seperated all my fabrics into colors and used the bins for the four colors I had the most of. I stored them in an entertainment center that is in the livingroom but that has a huge empty spot (behind doors, which was a big bonus). The rest of the fabric is now in nice stacks (by color) in the dresser drawers. Boy does it make it easy to find a specific color now. No more digging. I'm actually organized!! Who would have thunk it??? LOL

i started "collecting" for my retirement years ago. my girls even have contributed for christmas and birthdays. i've been retired for just short of 7 years.---maybe i'llwork on some of them when i'll be able to see after i recover from having cataract surgery in a couple weeks.

Hi kaycee,

I hope your cataract surgery goes well and you are sewing again very soon. I bet you are planning projects already.

Lois

I have my stash of fabric organized by type of fabric...like flannels are all together, cottons are all together, knits together, some by brand, like Moda fabrics as different lines tend to match in color other lines, etc....and also by matching fabrics staying together. Maybe they are not all blue but they match with the green that has the blue in it, etc. Many times these were bought in bundles. Then the remaining fabrics are in categories like children's prints, horse print and matching fabrics, holiday fabrics, and then some of the rest by color. I do tend to forget exactly what I have so I go through my stash boxes (I use clear plastic file type boxes that stack) every so often. I think at this point that I have enough material to last me over 5 years of sewing at my current rate. I also am trying to use what I have already in my stash....but then I see something that I just have to make and so I am also buying new material regularly. So glad that I have my hobbies as I love to keep busy.

Lois

Yarn is my worst stashing habit right now. I hoard it. But, on the up side, when someone is having a baby I don't have to run to the store to find yarn to make a hat or headband. It's all right there. The downside is storage for sure.

I have all kinds of other crafts items from paper making supplies to canvas and oil paints. I've got quilting fabric, polymer clay, beads, and now I'm stashing items for kids crafts for my son too.

I actually just cleaned out my stash closet and am getting rid of a lot of stuff. We are deep cleaning the house and doing a big remodel. Some of the things I wonder why I kept them in the first place. The hardest part was going through my yarn. I had to face the fact that some of the stuff I was given just wasn't going to ever get used. I dislike acrylic yarn so most of that went.

I too was given quite a bit of yarn that I wonder if I will ever use. Keep thinking I will make something colorful someday just to use it up. But then I find something that I want to make and I don't have enough of one color to make it, so I go and buy for my new project. Also thinking it would be good to teach my granddaughters to crochet with in a few years....just like my mother taught me so many many many years ago.

I keep my stash of yarn in under the bed in clear plastic containers so I can see from the outside what it in there. I think I have about six of those containers now.

MajorClementine ~ What is your favorite cotton yarn? Just wondering as I have some that is softer than the Peaches and Cream (which that I use for potholders).

Lois

Your joking right. Stash? I'm in my 60s. Had Girl Scout troops over the years. Had 2 kids. Have 3 grandkids. I have an entire walk-in closet full of "stuff" and I don't quilt. Well, I do use the clothes rods for other things. LOL

My stash is out of control!!

As of today, I am not buying any more fabric unless it is directly connected to the project I am (at the time) in the process of sewing.

As of today, I am making an effort to use fabric that is in my stash.

Lois

Good luck, Lois. I'm trying to do the same thing. I'm trying to just quilt from my stash, only buying batting and if I must backing. I'm hoping to not buy any new fabric til I've got a handle on my stash.

This quilt was almost completely stash fabric (I bought the binding and border; as the whole quilt is from FQs, so nothing long enough to make strips from for binding or border; I even had the cream flannel in my stash to use for backing):

Als quilt - complete - Oct 24, 2012.jpg

This is stash fabric (just took two little strips from store fabric for the pink):

Magic 4-patch finished - machine misthreaded.jpg

This is stash fabric (its complete now, I only added binding that wasn't in my stash - backing was left-overs from front):

Horse quilt 1 - 2013 - in process.jpg

And, these pillowcases are from stash fabric:

pillowcases - fall 2012 - 1.jpgpillowcases - fall 2012.jpg

i started "collecting" for my retirement years ago. my girls even have contributed for christmas and birthdays. i've been retired for just short of 7 years.---maybe i'llwork on some of them when i'll be able to see after i recover from having cataract surgery in a couple weeks.
How is your recovery going? Hope that everything is going well.

Latest posts

Back