Did I really see this on AMHA website???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But seriously ... gave me a flashback to when I was just as little, catching heck from my Grandad for getting on the wagon before he did. "Unless the driver is sitting down with the reins in his hands, you STAY OFF!"
I resemble that remark!
default_laugh.png
I've been known to say that.

(However, I didn't have a grandad who drove, or even had horses. My family on both sides are city-born folk. My mom wanted to keep a pony in her garage....Now my son has had horses his whole life and they aren't a novelty!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Myrna

In going through the AMHA rulebook for another thread, I did notice on pg. 100 it specifically says: "11. A driver must never allow passengers to enter a vehicle until he/she is seated with the reins in hand and must never dismount while passengers are in the vehicle." So that trainer should have been disqualified for what she did!

Leia

Wash your mouth out, child, that trainer was a well known and respected man who has forgotten more than you will ever learn and so is incapable of making a mistake. (honestly I have NO idea who he is!)

It would be hard, but not impossible, to disqualify him after the event, but you would be disqualifying a small child, not the trainer....so....moot point.

I think he should be names and shamed in MHW, though, and given an official reprimand. That would make sure it did not happen again, and that no-one copied him (I am still trying to find the video of the trainer not leading his horse, btw)

Trainer 'not leading his horse'???

This was a lady trainer. I'm not sure who she was, though I have my suspicions. Glad to see there IS a rule in place against this! Maybe it was dealt with at the show, as I only saw the incident on the webcam. I hope someone raised the concern with show management, at least.

A halter trainer who (on a bet, I believe) took his stallion in open halter sans lead and won. They had a great relationship! It was mentioned in the rule change proposal thread because of course someone has now decided there must be a rule against this.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

You know you're doing something right when they start making rules against what you do!

You know you're doing something right when they start making rules against what you do!

Yes, obviously THAT trainer truly did have a rapport with the horse...but IMAGINE the chaos in (especially) a stallion class where several trainers did this, and too late, found that they did NOT have that rapport/control outside of their home ring!!!

I believe it was actually a gelding, NOT a stallion.

The internet is a great thing, but unfortunately it allows false information to spread far too easily and that's how rumors get started.

I'm with Kendra. In addition, I think it's too bad that a rule would have to be written to prevent people from doing something which is patently inconsiderate and UNPROFESSIONAL, at best, dangerous at worst...but unfortunately, it seems there is always 'someone' who thinks it's 'clever' to push the envelope, even when it means 'involving' others without their permission.

Of course, it's grand to have a 'great rapport' with your horse; I don't have a horse here that doesn't come to me under most circumstances when I say 'come here', and use their name; they've been rewarded for doing so! It's one thing to be proud of having a good rapport---I get that...but it is QUITE another to decide to 'demonstrate' it under inappropriate conditions...where, if everything DIDN'T go as planned, others(who had NO say in the matter, remember)could well be adversely affected.(And IF this little 'show-off' WAS 'on a bet'? Even worse!!)

Margo

I personally don't have a problem with someone showing their horse that way if they know they can show their horse that way. This particular trainer obviously was confident of his ability and his horse's obedience.

I don't expect that there are many that will try to imitate him--I would doubt that there are that many people who are stupid enough to try it when they have to pretty much KNOW that they cannot control their horse without holding onto the leadshank.

I believe it was actually a gelding, NOT a stallion.

The internet is a great thing, but unfortunately it allows false information to spread far too easily and that's how rumors get started.

Doesn't really matter the sex, I have seen mares fight worse than stallions, and geldings are horses too. It is simply an unsafe practice.

Call me old fashioned but I believe a society should have rules that actually protect the other people in the class, it is rarely the idiots that do the silly things that get hurt.And whilst you still have a rule in place about check reins on the grounds of "safety"....well.

How would you feel if someone decided to show a horse in harness with no bridle on?

Even if it was totally, completely, safe?

It was a silly thing to do, but where was the steward to say, nope, you cannot go in without a lead rein?

Kim said:
on 06 October 2011 - 08:14 AM, said: I believe it was actually a gelding, NOT a stallion.

Wow, sorry, I hadn't considered the gender to be relevant to the story in this case. All I remembered was it was a male horse. My apologies.
default_new_shocked.gif
Cripes. Didn't meant to "start rumors."

As it happens (having done my research and found the video) yes, it was a gelding and he went Grand during this little exhibition. Guess the judges didn't have a problem with it!
default_wink.png

Minimor said:
I personally don't have a problem with someone showing their horse that way if they know they can show their horse that way. This particular trainer obviously was confident of his ability and his horse's obedience.
I don't expect that there are many that will try to imitate him...
I agree. Most the halter trainers I've seen are busy shanking their horses until they look like they'd rather be anywhere else. I was rather impressed that a Big Name Trainer had that sort of relationship with his animal and say "more power to him!"
default_yes.gif

Here is his description of the video: "Over the weekend ____ dared me to show R. without touching the lead. Here's the class. R. is my favorite show horse of all time. He has an awesome will to show!!!" There were almost 80 overwhelmingly positive comments on this video (most of them from well-known breeders, exhibitors and forum members) including people who were there and saw the class in person. The trainer commented, "The judges were very complimentary. I checked the ruled first and in halter there were no problems. I considered doing hunter but there were some rule questions for that so I didn't show hunter however I practiced it in the warm up and he did fine."

The horse appeared to have a halter on and possibly a lead (it was hard to tell from the grainy video), the handler simply didn't touch it. I can't see other exhibitors suddenly going "Oh my God, he won doing that so I must try it too!"
default_wacko.png
Why try to legislate common sense? There are not suddenly going to be huge "liberty halter" classes because one guy did it one time. We let in harness horses with no training already and drivers who have never held the lines, I don't see how that's any less risky. Much more so in fact!

Can we get back to driving now? I only mentioned the video because Fizz brought it up.

Leia

The horse appeared to have a halter on and possibly a lead (it was hard to tell from the grainy video), the handler simply didn't touch it. I can't see other exhibitors suddenly going "Oh my God, he won doing that so I must try it too!" Why try to legislate common sense? There are not suddenly going to be huge "liberty halter" classes because one guy did it one time. We let in harness horses with no training already and drivers who have never held the lines, I don't see how that's any less risky. Much more so in fact!
I believe the lead was over the horse's neck the whole time--that's what I was told anyway, I haven't watched the video.
As for the suggestion that someone could try dropping the bridle and driving without lines in some class, it's not going to happen--for one thing there are rules that say driving horses must wear a check and a snaffle bit....so really driving without a bridle is already against the rules. Even if it weren't....I very much doubt anyone would try it!

But in any case, yes, the harness horses with no prior training and the drivers that have never before held the lines are all plenty scary--much more scary than a halter horse with no hand on his lead!

So long as each horse went in on it's own, a "Liberty Halter" class would actually be really cool.

"Dances with Horse" competition?

There is a class for that around our way - it is called "hands free obstacle". One horse in the ring at a time over trail obstacles, back throughs, etc, and it REALLY tests the handler/horse communication!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back