DeWorming Schedule for Weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I was hoping you guys could give me some info on deworming a weanling so that I can be prepared when she gets here next month. How often do I deworm her? What kind of dewormer do I use? (no Quest) When do I start a regular adult deworming schedule? Also, are the powder dewormers good? I looked on Jeffers supply online and they have a deworming schedule (kinda confusing) and I think it is for adult horses. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
default_unsure.png
:

Thanks!!

Brandi

I like daily wormers on weanlings... it helps keep the pot belly away. I currently have my horses all on Strongid 2x. I also worm every other month with paste wormer... rotating between ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate.

Andrea

We like Daily Wormer too, like Andrea.

With 9 waenlings and 7 yearlings, I mix under their pellets daily for one week, pause one week, repeat and so on. Works for us great for years

Anita

I like daily wormer too and we used to do it, until our number increased.

Now, we worm all of our foals at 2 months of age with either Safeguard or Panacur, and then follow it with Ivermectin a month later. After that, they are all put on the same worming schedule as the adults.

MA

My first deworming is at 4 months w/ Panacur. 8 weeks later will be w/ Ivermectin, repeat in 8 weeks the go back to Panacur.

PLEASE do not use Fenbendazole (Panacur Safeguard et al) as a single dose wormer except in the first case with a ten day old foal.

I worm first at ten days with Fenbendazole (all brands are the same it is the CHEMICAL that counts)

Then at a month with Ivermectin and for the next three months with |Ivermectin.

At weaning I do the five day course of Fenbendazole.

A also, now, Tapeworm at this time just to be sure.

Then they go on the normal schedule and, since there is no known resistance to Ivermectin and hence no reason to "rotate" chemicals, they stay on this every two months with the exception of:-

Autumn.

Five day Fenbendazole followed by Ivermectin ten days after the last dose coupled with Praziquantel for Tapes.

Spring- the same as Autumn- the actual time of tape worming and five day course differs with the area you live in so I do not give a specific month for this- consult a local land agent, your Vet may well not know.

Rotating wormers at random may well help build up a worm burden.

Latest research shows an alarming resistance due to daily wormers.

We ususally get our first frost in Oct-Nov. After the first frost I always do a double dose of strondgid. Is a double dose ok for foals that are 4-5 months old? Or should I just stick to single dose for them?

Double dose of Strongid to kill what??

Ivermectin is the chemical normally used to get Bots after the first frost, but since I use this all the time anyway I rarely take any notice of this one.

This sis why you need to pay attention to what you are using to kill which worm!!!

A double dose of Strongid is know to kill tape worms. I know thier is other stuff but this was supposed to be less harsh and more forgiving for human error.

Latest posts

Back