Dandruff and itching

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
I have one mini mare that has lots of dandruff and she is itching/rubbing her self bald in spots. My first though was lice but I couldn't find any and I think it's still too cold for lice. I did notice that she is starting to shed. She is about 200 days in foal too. What do you think? I will try and take some pictures today if I can find some help.

I dont think cold bothers lice as lice are always at their worst in winter. They burrow down and probably never feel the cold. Its been my experience that some horses are just more prone to getting lice. I would go ahead and give ivermectin and dust her just to be safe

I agree

My preg.mare was the same way was told too wormer now an wait two wks an do it again well her hair is growing back soo... oohhh yaa no more icthing.

I dont think cold bothers lice as lice are always at their worst in winter. They burrow down and probably never feel the cold. Its been my experience that some horses are just more prone to getting lice. I would go ahead and give ivermectin and dust her just to be safe

I have a couple that are itching too. Haven't noticed any lice what can you give to stop the itching? also at 312 days is it ok do deworm? and use dusting? what do you use?

I have a couple that are itching too. Haven't noticed any lice what can you give to stop the itching? also at 312 days is it ok do deworm? and use dusting? what do you use?
I deworm the momma with Ivermectin as soon as the foal hits the ground. I am not sure if I would do it now... might be best to check with a vet.

Lice actually have more problems surviving warmer weather.

Deworm and dust 2x 2 weeks apart.

Safe while pregnant.

Dr Taylor

The best place to see lice will be under the mane where it is warmer and less hair and if you bring them in a heated area, that way they are on the surface. They are the worst in winter but are deep in the hair so are hard to find.

Both Ivermectin and Dusting should be okay, but I would wash the mare's underside and teat area with water before the foal arrives. We've done it without a problem.

If it's NOT lice, feeding the mare some vegie or corn oil on her grain may help, just a capful or two should be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed mine black sun flower seeds (bird seeds)... and taht helps with thier coat condition and helps with the itch... and will also help darken the color....

Latest posts

Back