Daisy's foaling thread-MAIDEN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my filly in with Daisy and Mystic and it went fairly well. Not sure if I should try Cash(gelding) yet? Seems like Daisy is more cranky with him.

Any mare with a new baby will be jealous of ANY other horse coming anywhere near, it is natural. Megan took a long time before she tried Laney and little Tink in with Ricky, several weeks after they had been living next to each other with safe fencing between them and Laney and Ricky had been best buddies before Tink came along. It seemed ok to start with, but Laney still is not happy about Ricky being there and has had several 'goes' at him to get him to keep his distance.

You cannot expect a mare with a new foal to happily settle back with her former friends, she is a Mother now and has a duty to protect her new baby from the 'interest' of other animals. The best way to do it is to let the mare live next door to her old pals, but the fencing must be safe and secure between them. Once everyone has got used to the foal, then is the time to try the introduction, but be ready for trouble. A foal can get badly injured in any scuffles that take place. The worst problem that can occur (IMO) is if the foal is frightened by the other approaching animals and runs off, only to be followed by it's frantic dam plus all the others wanting to say hello. The foal becomes terrified by the sound of galloping hooves and eventually runs into the fencing as its vision is still not too good at an early age. Total chaos and a very stressed Momma and worse, a stressed and exhausted young foal.

You may be lucky and things will work out well - I hope so - but also be prepared for Daisy not to want to join the others for several weeks, or even a lot longer. She may accept the other girls and never accept the gelding, there is just no telling. But take it slow and easy and hopefully they will all live happily together in the end.
default_yes.gif

thanks AnnaC-I think I won't push my luck and put Cash in just yet. All seem s to be just fine with Bella though so I'll just watch and if it is stressing her out I'll move Bella. We have the room to keep them seperate just thought Daisy has been away so long she might want her friends back.

I've found my girls are much more accepting of the other mares then they are of the geldings. In fact I no longer run my geldings with my mares due to a few personality clashes of moody mares!

thanks Diane! She's about to see her first rain. I put her and Daisy in a pen with a shelter(-no more sleeping in the barn) We are finally getting some rain here.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
It has been so miserably hot the last couple of days.

Hi everyone
default_saludando.gif
So I decided to wean Mystic. Is there anything special I need to give for vaccinations or feed? She has been wormed for the fall and is still on Mare/Foal feed, eating hay and whatever grass is left.

Hi great to hear from you again!

Mystic can stay on her mare and foal feed for now if you wish or you can slowly change it to something for weanlings - not sure what feeds you have available in your part of the world. Neither am I sure about any vaccinations for your area, but she can certainly start her vacs for tetanus once she is over 6 months of age if that helps you at all.

Would love to see some updated pics if poss.
default_yes.gif

lol sorry during the week is crazy around here trying to run kids here and there never mind work...heading out there right away so I'll snap a few

Oh she's absolutely gorgeous - very cute too!!
default_yes.gif

The trick and treaters arn't bad either!
default_thumbup.gif

Never saw your thread before (I'm not very observant
default_wink.png
) and was happy to read through the whole lot and find there was a BABY at the end!!! She looks adorable
default_smile.png

thanks countrymini this was our first baby so I really didn't know what to expect...these lovely ladies helped me through and gave such great advice

Latest posts

Back