Daisy's foaling thread-MAIDEN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea loves minis

Reaction score
Daisy is a maiden mare pasture bred end of May-middle of July. This is a first baby for me and I am soo excited. We thought she was in foal last year but turned up she was just really overweight :S Any advice would really be appreciated! Thanks for following her051.JPG053.JPG

***Sorry about the dirty pen..we have her in a big holding pen until the cattle are finished calving.....She is still shedding out so looks a bit scruffy****

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Thank you for the pics, looks like she has a bit to go to fill ghat udder, but with maidens it seems like you never know!

Daisy is 35" I'll have to contact the studs owner and get permission to post a pic of him. He is a black and white pinto. She has really changed her shape in the last couple of days. She was alot wider and seems to has shrunk width wise and dropped more. 042.JPG041.JPG

Hi and welcome to the Maternity Wing (it sounds better than the Nutty Nursery as Diane - truthfully - named it) LOL!!

What a pretty mare - sorry but did you say how old she is, and what size is the daddy?

Please feel free to ask any questions and we will try to help if we can. And do tell us all about your other animals - we like to chat and get to know people during the long wait for these babies to arrive!
default_yes.gif

023.JPGDaisy's bag is very firm today. Quite a change from yesturday. I took some more pics. Nothing really happening with her udders though. Thanks so much for the warm welcoms! I believe the daddy is around the 34" mark . I have 2 other mini's Cash is a 29" grey gelding and Bella is my filly. I think she'll be around the 38" quite a difference from Cash lol Other than my horses we have cattle, dogs and cats. 012.JPG015.JPG I added some pis of her udders and privates(sorry girl)
default_blush.png
and another from the front

Don't worry, I have a VERY preggo mare that winks at my stallion. What does her bag look like this morning?

I have a question about feed. Daisy is usually just grazing at this time but I moved her into the barn at nights now and let her graze during the day. I put water and a flake of hay in for her at night as well. What else shoud I be feeding her? Thanks in advance

• Does it matter if it's feed for weanlings? I think the protein is 14 %? I bought 2 bags for my filly but for some reason she wouldn't eat it? If not I'll pick some up tomorrow...also how much would you feed? Thanks

Bella is a yearling. We got her in October last year. She wasn't handled at all. We had a hard time with feeding her. She wouldn't eat the hay or feed we got her. She finally picked up on the hay and I thought the feed as well. She just kind of pushed around the feed with her muzzle. She would eat it-just small amts at first but now won't touch it-just prefers to graze so I gave up on it
default_sad.png
I was just putting it in a feeding bucket. I had her eating at the same time as my gelding to show her what to do put he just lapped up his and went onto hers
default_doh.gif

076.JPG

Just checked in on Daisy. Doesn't seem as wide today and bag isn't as hard. Raining hard here today. Will keep her in the barn until it slows down a little.

so apparently the closest town to us does not carry mare/foal feed. Just 12% and 14%. Would it be ok if I just feed the 14%? The next closest town is 2 hours away....Any thoughts

Just catching up on the recent posts and wanted to say that yes, the higher protein feed will be great for your mare, but with a lot of 'adult' horse feeds the pellets/cubes are very hard, making them unsuitable for a foal, whereas with the mare and foal feed, the pellets are softer and will 'melt' when in contact with the foal's saliva, and therefore safe for a foal to nibble at. So if at all possible, it would be best if you could get hold of some mare and foal feed - do you have a neighbour or a friend living nearer to town who might be able to help?

Castle Rock Miniatures-yes they are all boys....thank you...they are a handful at times but so loveable! AnnaC-I think I will keep Daisy on the 14% and hopefully my mom can pick some up on her way here this weekend Just one more question AnnaC when do you start the foal on the feed? Thanks

wow your household must be very busy at holiday time. lol I am just thankful it's warming up outside so the boys can run off some of their energy. My oldest Mitch is 6, Erik is 4 and Lukas is 21 months(the pic is a year old...time for a new one)

I have 2 boys
default_smile.png
12 and 4 years old, I feel like I spend my hole day picking up clothes and toys
default_thud.gif

I have 2 boys
default_smile.png
12 and 4 years old, I feel like I spend my hole day picking up clothes and toys
default_thud.gif
Picking up clothes and toys is what I spend my days doing too, and they love to unfold laundry both while I'm folding and after I've refolded them and put them away! I have 3 girls, 1 is almost 3 and the other 2 just turned 1 last February
default_smile.png

HA! It's not that you "feel" like you're spending your whole day picking up clothes and toys............................YOU ARE spending it!!

(And it doesn't get any better -- and the "toys" get larger!!!
default_yes.gif

But, ya' gotta' love 'em !!!!
Thanks for letting me know
default_thud.gif
Add on top that I have a lazy Italian husband
default_frusty.gif
Thank goodness I have Bicky to help me tidy the house.

my favourite girl.JPG

Latest posts

Back