Do all mares produce milk before foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby just got a drop of milk out of Sally, and she's still testing about 7.1 ph on Maybe Baby. Does that mean we can go to bed tonight? At the same time? :)

ph can change very fast. In theory you’ve got time. What I’ve been doing with mine is checking every couple of hours. If it is dropping fast than you really should keep an eye. I try to check at midnight my time and depending what it is I’ll check again every couple of hours. It’s just me checking my mares. But I stream so that other people can watch too which allows me to get some. But sounds like y’all are doing a great job watching her!

My two already foaled. They tested 6.4 or less at foaling. But once they started dropping ph it dropped fast. One of mares dropped from 7.2 to 6.4 in less than 24 hrs. But she had stayed at 7.2 for a couple of days. Once she hit 6.4 she foaled within 24 hrs.

My mare duty started at 2:00 am. She rubbed her butt on the gate for six Andy Griffith shows, then she laid down but was uncomfortable all night. I fed her at 7:00 am. She seemed hungry and ate a little. I've seen her lay out flat, stand up again, stretch out her neck and yawn, and now she is just standing there. When Hubby gets done arguing with his broker, we're going to test her milk. :)

Sounds like you're having more luck than I am, fingers crossed!!

Back