Critique on a homozygous colt.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Below is a picture of our AMHA/AMHR yearling colt. He is 30" tall and homozygous for tobiano. We're still waiting for the red factor results.

Can you please critique our little guy? He hasn't been trained to stand in a show stance so these are the best pictures we were able to get. He doesn't toe in or out in either the front or rear, he has an even bite and his testicle are fully descended. He's never been sweated or worked and this is just a picture taken after he was pulled out of a pen and bodyclipped.

He has fantastic movement, is wonderful to handle and has horses like Boones Little Buckeroo, Shadow Oaks Paul Bunyan, Meridians Dyno Flow, and Bond lines in his pedigree.

P8122087.jpg
left.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to critique conformation as I am not qualified to do that. I will say that I love his color.

Regarding if a homozygous is worth more, if the conformation is correct and you want to breed for pattern, then yes, homozygous is worth more. If the conformation is not correct, in my opinion, homozygous is not worth anything.

Stephanie... being homozygous MAY increase the price but not by much, it is just an "extra" for a buyer, particularly one that breeds specifically for pinto as this guarantees their odds.

I find most horses more often than not are priced according to the sum of ALL parts of the horse, not just one part.

He looks like a cute little guy, I like all the angles and lengths of parts in his legs. He has a decent amount of refinement and balance although not very extreme for a youngster, as they only get thicker as they age.

He has a nice head, but his neck could be a little more upright and set on better, particularly where it ties into the withers. He has a low sloping tail set. His shoulder isn't very deep but it slopes back okay.

I couldn't price him on his conformation and homozygous factor alone. You don't mention anything about his pedigree, movement, show record, or temperament/training. These add a lot to a horse. Colts are very hard to market, they need to pretty much have everything beyond just color alone.

Andrea

I can't wait to read the replies on him since I think he is beautiful! I don't know a thing about conformation :-(

Although he is a very nice colt, I'm not sure if you can get that price for him or not. The homozygous tobiano might help if the right buyer comes along who is looking for that. I don't see any glaring faults in him at all. A lot of people like the neck to come out a bit higher but the way his is doesn't bother me.

I believe conformation first, color second. If you are a breeder homozgous is very improtant.

So you need both.

We have a small pinto breeding farm. And it is nice knowing in the spring I will have a colorful

bunch of foals. cjmm

Stephanie, I see Fee Estah in the background of the first picture .... :saludando: "" Hiii Fee Estah !!!! ""

Your colt is very pretty. I like him.
default_yes.gif
:

He is a nice enough colt and he is well marked but I am afraid you can take your pick for that sort of price, AND the animals would have been trained to stand and the pictures professional.

Maybe a bit too blunt??

Think about it- if he is worth the price he is worth the effort, basically.

Take the photos down, work on him for a week, give him a bath, a trim and get someone to help take the pictures, making sure you get a really good background or can photoshop one in (!!)

I think you will be surprised at the change in reactions.

And be a bit more "in your face" about his prospects- I have seen colts that were basically rubbish declared as "top show prospects"

A small "will go far in the right hands" or "we REALLY love this colt, he is truly exciting" wouldn't hurt
default_yes.gif
:

If you do not blow your own trumpet, no-one is likely to listen :bgrin

Latest posts

Back