New colt for Ourfarm Miniatures! Guesses on pinto patterns?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkermini

Reaction score
After losing a colt last week to a bad dystocia, we are happy to have a colt on the ground, with both Mom and colt doing great! I was really surprised by the amount of white this guy has-his sire is a frame/splash/probably sabino, but dam is solid without even one white hair. I would think this guy is tovero, but neither sire or dam are tobiano. (Both the dam's parents were tobiano, however...) Or he possibly looks homozygous splash, with frame. Im going to attach a picture of his sire, and him. The colt has color on his ears, the front of his neck/chest, and a tiny spot on his tail. So any guesses on pattern? I am sending hair off today to test for champagne, his dam is champagne but its hard to tell if he is with so little color.

Moonjuly10.jpg

Web 100_4628.jpg

Congrats on your healthy colt and sorry about your loss. I would take a wild guess that this colt's dam may carry tobiano even if it doesn't show up. So I would test him for tobiano, splash, frame, and sabino. What color are his eyes?

Official color patter~ Cute as a button....
default_smile.png
Congrats!

He is a chestnut base Medicine Hat- probably has all patterns so it is worth testing for LWO, obviously. Testing for Sabino is rather pointless as most / a lot of horse that are Sabino test negative, same at the moment with Splash- with both Sabino and Splash, even if they test negative there is every chance they still have the pattern. Sire is obviously Splash, so every chance the foal has it.

I see no point to a term like "tovero" as it just does not mean anything.

He is a lovely foal, I hope he makes up a little for the previous tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! To answer/comment on replies-

targetsmom-both eyes are blue

MBhorses-yes he is medicine hat but trying to figure out what pinto genes (splash, tobiano, frame, sabino) made his a medicine hat.

rabbitsfizz-I agree on the splash and sabino testing! However he isnt chestnut, he is either brown, sable champagne, or classic champagne. His sire is homozygous black (his sire is actually a brown roan frame/splash and probably sabino, and dam is classic champagne with no white markings).

Here is a close up of his head spot, you can see the darker forelock. I sent hair to test for champagne, and will also test for frame in the future.

Web 100_4626.jpg

I think there are ear tips also, looks Bay!

Back