What color would you call this new foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
many more picturesOur dilute producing mare, Bonnie Blu Eyes, gave us another pretty dilute foal on Friday night (April 30th). The vet says he is creamello, but it looks like he may have some brown in his mane and tail. His eyes are blue, with pink rims, ears and nose. His daddy is a buckskin BTU son (Boones Little Buckeroo Lil Shadow) and mommy is a seal brown and white Bond mare who has previously produced creamello, perlino, champayne and cream dunn. So what do we have this year? We are naming him Ole Country Roads Ima Shadows Sunshine! He is 12 hours in these pictures.
29474_1329343748974_1092374498_30839071_7293868_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess smokey cream. (Double dilute on a black base).

Cute!

Andrea

I would guess smokey cream or perlino-pretty baby!

Very cute! My perlino has red/brown throughout her tail and a bit through her mane.

Hard to tell without being able to see the mane and tail. From what I can see, he looks cremello to me. His body looks like a very pale palomino. My cremello colt this year looks like a very pale palomino.

Usually the smokey creams have a slight smokey color to their coats and mane and tail.

Congratulations!

mommy is a seal brown and white Bond mare who has previously produced creamello, perlino, champayne and cream dunn.
Momma cannot be seal brown and throw double dilutes...she is likely a smokey black??
default_wink.png

Sue C. has a point...... Your mare is more than "seal brown" to be throwing all those dilutes.

Your little one is probably perlino just by looking at the one picture I see. This looks like a candidate for a color testing.

Champagne has to have Champagne from at least one parent. The other Dilute genes (cream and dun) also are directly passed. They don't skip a generation. However, how they SHOW themselves can be tricky! So the testing is helpful in that dept.

Hard to tell without being able to see the mane and tail. From what I can see, he looks cremello to me. His body looks like a very pale palomino. My cremello colt this year looks like a very pale palomino.

Usually the smokey creams have a slight smokey color to their coats and mane and tail.
When you say a "slight smokey color" do you mean black? Thanks for all the great responses!

Your very pretty mare is not a Seal Brown, even though she looks it!!

I would guess at Smoky Black, but it would be worth testing her.

Also, to get a Champagne foal you have to have a Champagne parent, and you do not appear to, so, I doubt her foal was Champagne (unless of course you bred her to a Champagne stud, in which case I apologise!!)

Anyway, the foal is just EDIBLE, give me a couple of strawberries and I could munch on him, he is lovely, and, of course, you don't love him at all, now do you??

It shows!
default_laugh.png

I would guess, and it is only a guess, as there is NO way of telling just by looking, that the foal is Cremello, but I would suggest you test him and his Mama.

Then you have a reason for posting more pictures, and letting us know what he is.
default_wink.png

Your very pretty mare is not a Seal Brown, even though she looks it!!

I would guess at Smoky Black, but it would be worth testing her.

Also, to get a Champagne foal you have to have a Champagne parent, and you do not appear to, so, I doubt her foal was Champagne (unless of course you bred her to a Champagne stud, in which case I apologise!!)

Anyway, the foal is just EDIBLE, give me a couple of strawberries and I could munch on him, he is lovely, and, of course, you don't love him at all, now do you??

It shows!
default_laugh.png

I would guess, and it is only a guess, as there is NO way of telling just by looking, that the foal is Cremello, but I would suggest you test him and his Mama.

Then you have a reason for posting more pictures, and letting us know what he is.
default_wink.png
Thanks for your kind words! I have his 3/4 sister, Irish, that we are retaining. Can't wait to show the two in Produce of Dam in July! She was pretty yummy as a newborn too! Bonnie has been tested, and the paperwork was very confusing. Agouti and all sorts of weird words and letters. I was told by her former owners (who I am forever grateful to, for selling me this wonderful producing, sweet girl!) that she is double dilute. OK. I think I need a book or article on dilutes. It is so confusing! My vet said, "why do you keep breeding her to buckskins? You will always get super light (colored) foals." She says I should breed her to my black and white stallion and probably get buckskin. Actually I bought her in foal to Boones Little Buckeroo Grand Slam, and only choose to breed her to Shadow. A buckskin pinto would be lovely! I will give her a year off, and breed her to King next year. Maybe I just like buckskins buckeroo horses!

Hi Wendy,

If you have the test post what is on the paper here...that way someone that knows can help you figure it out. Also, to get a buckskin one parent must carry agouti, black horses do not carry agouti so a black pinto (KIng) to a smoky black won't give you a buckskin. But a bay could..... Are you more confused now?....lol.

So, I need to breed Bonnie to a bay to get a buckskin? My dear friend, Linda Mikeworth, has a 26 inch bay Shadow son (Moe Patterson's stallion, same sire as this colt) that is a doll! I am breeding Sara Lee to him this year, so maybe Bonnie next year! I wonder why Bonnie doesn't throw pintos? In 5 foals, no pintos. I will post the test papers soon. Thanks, Tami!

If you post her results, as they are on the paper, I will explain them to you....OK?

Latest posts

Back