Crafting in 2022

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't laugh, please! I wanted to try and make a gourd button with google eyes. It was very hard to align the drill press accurately, even though I predrilled the spot. The eyes are inset. It is 1 1/2". google spider.jpg It's supposed to be a spider. I think I will do a fish next time, as it would only need one eye. That would be easier to design.
Meanwhile, my mom asked me to make her some pajama bottoms. She sent me a pair to use as a pattern. Easy, huh? She says "just cut around it, you don't need to have a pattern." Well, I'm working on them but I think she'll be sorry she didn't insist on a store bought pattern!

Last Sunday I was teaching kids about the tabernacle so I made one out of cardboard and paper and my craft supplies. The big box was from my new cart and the rest from supplies from our recent remodel.
I had it in a room across the hall and when we returned the kids sang so loud and were so happy that that ritual has been done away with!

20220219_100314.jpg

That is an amazing repurpose of your cart box, Willow Flats! It looks excellent!

I’m guessing it is pretty heavy duty cardboard? I always find that hard to breakdown as it is so sturdy!

I don't think I've shared this one, and in a couple days it'll be mailed to it's new home to be a couch quilt. I've been calling it "the ugly" quilt, as the fabrics for the top came in a box of fabric from an estate sale, the fabrics were pre-cut, and some what poorly done, there was no pattern, so I just started sewing, made a couple cuts and did more sewing. The back is a lovely floral print. It wasn't done in this pic, but it's the only one I've taken.

Attachments

• 2022 - strip quilt from auction tote - borders 6.jpg
    2022 - strip quilt from auction tote - borders 6.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 7
The button looks nice, and the eyes added more life to it. So you can paint as well?
Don't think you could call what I do "painting"!
I don't think I've shared this one, and in a couple days it'll be mailed to it's new home to be a couch quilt. I've been calling it "the ugly" quilt, as the fabrics for the top came in a box of fabric from an estate sale, the fabrics were pre-cut, and some what poorly done, there was no pattern, so I just started sewing, made a couple cuts and did more sewing. The back is a lovely floral print. It wasn't done in this pic, but it's the only one I've taken.
You were brave to take a chance on that tote of precut pieces. The colors are very nice! You always show such nice quilting projects.

Last Sunday I was teaching kids about the tabernacle so I made one out of cardboard and paper and my craft supplies. The big box was from my new cart and the rest from supplies from our recent remodel.
I had it in a room across the hall and when we returned the kids sang so loud and were so happy that that ritual has been done away with!

View attachment 46519
Wow. Looks rich and elegant. No wonder the group was so impressed.

You were brave to take a chance on that tote of precut pieces. The colors are very nice! You always show such nice quilting projects.
I didn't realize it was so much pre-cut pieces, as there were some uncut fabrics as well, I just picked boxes with fabrics i liked. Did give some away that didn't fit my needs/taste.
Thank you.

I finally finished the snake, yay. I had to go back and look, I carved the foam back in August! Wow, I am slow.
snakefeet.jpeg
Those are my feet, so you can get an idea of size. And just for fun:
snakeflower.jpegsnakeNtree.jpeg
He is styrofoam, covered in mesh, then several layers of Thinset with three different sizes of glass tiles and a few seed beads, sprinkled here and there, and for the nostrils, and painted glass eyes.

He is styrofoam, covered in mesh, then several layers of Thinset with three different sizes of glass tiles and a few seed beads, sprinkled here and there, and for the nostrils, and painted glass eyes.
So creative.

I finally finished the snake, yay. I had to go back and look, I carved the foam back in August! Wow, I am slow.
View attachment 46540
Those are my feet, so you can get an idea of size. And just for fun:
View attachment 46541View attachment 46542
That looks amazing. I like how its head is sort of reared up, as though looking around. With the thinset, would it be durable for outdoors? What made you think of such an interesting craft?

I have a dream of making outdoor sculptures. I also love mosaics. The Thinset and the glass tiles are what you need for outdoor mosaics, so the snake should be durable for outdoors. The foam came from researching DIY outdoor sculptures. Turns out carving foam is quite common for movie props, theme parks, Halloween props, even signage and architectural elements. As for the snake's head position, generally, the snakes I see usually have their head up like that, and I thought it would look more interesting that way, too.

I have a dream of making outdoor sculptures. I also love mosaics. The Thinset and the glass tiles are what you need for outdoor mosaics, so the snake should be durable for outdoors. The foam came from researching DIY outdoor sculptures. Turns out carving foam is quite common for movie props, theme parks, Halloween props, even signage and architectural elements. As for the snake's head position, generally, the snakes I see usually have their head up like that, and I thought it would look more interesting that way, too.
So what's next?;)

Well, I've started a styrofoam table. It will be covered with mesh and then Exterior Foam Coat, put out by the Hot Wire Foam Factory(also the place I got my cutters from) instead of Thinset. Doesn't sound much like sculpture, but it's practical, and I want to see how strong it will be. Because you know I will be making a lifesize miniature foal eventually!

Latest posts

Back