Crafting in 2022

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely!!! Anyone can sew, it is really easy!! Although I do have a hard time sewing a button on by hand, but my hubby is good at that 🤣🤣

Ive had my sewing machine for about 25 years now. It was the most basic and cheapest one I could find at the time. I have taken a couple of sewing classes over the years, learned how to read and work with patterns. They offer classes at Jo Ann Fabric.

In my new house I finally have a sewing room!! I hope to start sewing more now that I can leave my sewing machine out and ready to be used at any time. I’ve always dreamed of making beautiful dresses for myself…. maybe one day! 😍

DFE234B8-077D-4BB9-97A2-A8F1A9F874BD.jpeg

I got a sewing machine from my parents for high school graduation back in 1971. It is a Singer. I sewed a lot with it, mostly crafting (it is a waste of fabric for me to sewing actual adult garments). It finally got tired about 5 years ago and didn't want to sew denim. So I got a Pfaff. I wonder if grand daughters would like to have my old Singer? I hate to give up that good and faithful machine, though. The new-fangled Pfaff may croak!

Thank you, Kelly. *huuuuug* I told someone in another thread, "trust your gut". Sewing machine added to shopping list!

What kinds of things should I look out for/for on a used machine? How do I test it? Is there one particular, quick thing I could test sew that would prove it's worthiness for purchase?

I'd rather try a used one first for a couple reasons. Primarily, durability and lack thereof in new machines at my price point. (Insert thrifty, reliable new machine suggestions here.😆) Also, if it IS just a passing interest I won't be so economically invested that it sits gathering dust because I can't part with it.

Thanks in advance for helping me y'all!

Absolutely!!! Anyone can sew, it is really easy!! Although I do have a hard time sewing a button on by hand, but my hubby is good at that 🤣🤣

Ive had my sewing machine for about 25 years now. It was the most basic and cheapest one I could find at the time. I have taken a couple of sewing classes over the years, learned how to read and work with patterns. They offer classes at Jo Ann Fabric.

In my new house I finally have a sewing room!! I hope to start sewing more now that I can leave my sewing machine out and ready to be used at any time. I’ve always dreamed of making beautiful dresses for myself…. maybe one day! 😍

View attachment 46209
Our sewing machine is even older and still works great! It is a truly vintage Singer.

Thank you, Kelly. *huuuuug* I told someone in another thread, "trust your gut". Sewing machine added to shopping list!

What kinds of things should I look out for/for on a used machine? How do I test it? Is there one particular, quick thing I could test sew that would prove it's worthiness for purchase?

I'd rather try a used one first for a couple reasons. Primarily, durability and lack thereof in new machines at my price point. (Insert thrifty, reliable new machine suggestions here.😆) Also, if it IS just a passing interest I won't be so economically invested that it sits gathering dust because I can't part with it.

Thanks in advance for helping me y'all!
I know people who have the Brother from Walmart and are very happy with it. I think it is better than new Singers. Unless you can work on them, I would not buy a used one. They have nylon gears that may be worn out, may not have been oiled properly in their lives, and the timing could be off.

may not have been oiled properly in their lives, and the timing could be off.

Could you give me a quick “how to” on how to oil a machine properly. One time my machine kept breaking the thread every time I tried to sew a stitch, so I sprayed it with Pam. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had a sewing expert come over… my Mother-in-law… with manual in hand to help. We read through the manual several times, couldn’t read anything helpful. Then she watched me sew. She said the thread was acting “funny”. So I changed the spool of thread. And that was it! Somehow I had gotten a “bad“ spool of thread! Weird! That’s the only issue I have ever had. And I sew some pretty thick heavy fabrics, never really changing the needle or anything… I think I have changed the needle once. My mother-in-law cringes when I tell her what sorts of fabric and glitter ribbon I put through my sewing machine 😊

Honestly I have never really oiled my machine properly, just that one time with Pam 😁

& what is “timing could be off”? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Could you give me a quick “how to” on how to oil a machine properly. One time my machine kept breaking the thread every time I tried to sew a stitch, so I sprayed it with Pam. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had a sewing expert come over… my Mother-in-law… with manual in hand to help. We read through the manual several times, couldn’t read anything helpful. Then she watched me sew. She said the thread was acting “funny”. So I changed the spool of thread. And that was it! Somehow I had gotten a “bad“ spool of thread! Weird! That’s the only issue I have ever had. And I sew some pretty thick heavy fabrics, never really changing the needle or anything… I think I have changed the needle once. My mother-in-law cringes when I tell her what sorts of fabric and glitter ribbon I put through my sewing machine 😊

Honestly I have never really oiled my machine properly, just that one time with Pam 😁

& what is “timing could be off”? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Your owner's manual will tell you about oiling. I'm not sure the new machines require oiling. And only an older machine might have a timing problem. If the timing is off it won't sew properly. I've had bad thread before also. I sent the spool to Coats, as I thought they should know their quality control was poor. They sent me a voucher for a new spool. Not sure I would use Pam--it has propellant, and the oil is organic, which isn't good for the complex sewing machine. Sewing machine oil is best, if you need to use it.
Your sewing projects are so creative! Love to see what everyone comes up with.

Your sewing projects are so creative! Love to see what everyone comes up with.

Can you tell if your sewing machine needs oil? Heard that most machines make a terrible noise if not oiled properly and wear out those moving parts that ran out of it. If this includes sewing machines, I guess you're not affected.😊

I love seeing the variety of wonderful projects you all come up with here and learning about your machines is pretty fun. I have a Sears Kenmore from 1984 and it has been a great machine for my simple quilting and repair projects. It needs to go in to the repair shop as the tension is off somewhere and it probably needs a good cleaning.

Silver City, I noticed the repair shop had a table of refurbished sewing machines for sale. If you are looking for a used one do you have a similar shop near you? The closest one to us is 50 miles from here.

Finished a sock monkey. He is all hand sewn. The pattern came with the socks, and it was not a very good pattern. No instruction on where to attach the tail. Or how to make the cap. I looked at some of my vintage ones for tail placement.
I found the sock monkey buttons at Hobby Lobby. I thought I could attach one to a card if I decide to give the monkey as a gift.
My husband was totally repelled by the sock monkey. I tortured him by pretended to have the monkey hug him and he couldn't stand it.🤣monkey.jpg

Attachments

• monkey buttons.jpg
    monkey buttons.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 8
Another wonderful project, an excellent gift idea. No sewing machine this time?:)

Latest posts

Back