Crafting in 2022

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top is made, it's about 3' square. I haven't decided on how I want to do the legs or how plain or embellished I want it to be. MaryFlora, if I can do "sculpture", anyone can do it. I started with paper mache because I had no clue about armatures (or anything else) and paper mache is cheap. And I found a website that's wonderful. The mosaics with the Thinset is a little trickier because of how fast the Thinset dries. But mosaics can be as simple or complex as you want, and a wide variety of materials can be used. My problem is too many ideas in my head, and too many projects started. Finishing a project is a challenge for me. But I'm not happy if I can't be creative. 🤪

Well, I've started a styrofoam table. It will be covered with mesh and then Exterior Foam Coat, put out by the Hot Wire Foam Factory(also the place I got my cutters from) instead of Thinset. Doesn't sound much like sculpture, but it's practical, and I want to see how strong it will be. Because you know I will be making a lifesize miniature foal eventually!
Is the process of covering it with mesh, coating, and other stuff different from that of the snake?

The covering with mesh and then coating it will be the same. The product I'm going to coat it with is new to me, but I think it will be easier than Thinset. It's supposed to have a stone like texture and can be brushed on, troweled on, or even sprayed (special equipment there), so it will definitely be different.

It must be as nice, just the same. Enjoy, and thanks for the replies.:)

Don't you just hate it when a project you have been working on doesn't turn out? You keep tweaking and reworking, and it still doesn't turn out. This happened to me with a box I've been working on. I cross stitched a design for the top and repainted a wooden box. I'm not pleased at all with it. Grrr.
No, you cannot see it!

I am sure it is fabulous Marsha! All your crafts turn out beautiful.…but if you really don’t like it, you could always see how ugly you can make it…. And then post pics to give everyone a good laugh 🤣🤣💕💕

I don’t have the patience to tweak and rework stuff so mine usually ends up in the trash or as a dog toy 🤣🤣

One of the reasons (and there are many) it takes me so long to finish anything, is when it's not turning out like I want, I leave it sitting while I try to figure out how to fix/make it how I want. Sometimes for months...😫🤣
In the end, sometimes you just have to embrace the imperfections. 😖 It's art after all, and I figure those imperfections are what make it art. 🤣

I am sure it is fabulous Marsha! All your crafts turn out beautiful.…but if you really don’t like it, you could always see how ugly you can make it…. And then post pics to give everyone a good laugh 🤣🤣💕💕
Oh my gosh I never thought of doing this! Making it MORE ugly! I may try this.

One of the reasons (and there are many) it takes me so long to finish anything, is when it's not turning out like I want, I leave it sitting while I try to figure out how to fix/make it how I want. Sometimes for months...😫🤣
In the end, sometimes you just have to embrace the imperfections. 😖 It's art after all, and I figure those imperfections are what make it art. 🤣
In many cultures, an imperfection is always put in intentionally. Mosques, with their beautifully painted architecture and mosaics? An imperfection placed within. Woven rugs from many places are the same.

The reasoning is that only God is perfect. If we try to be.....welll....let's just admit that pride often goes before a fall.😆

I like Kelly's idea. In that frame of mind you may come out with a treasure you'd never imagined.

Well I just can’t be part of this thread anymore! 🤣 You all are so incredibly creative!

Dragon Hill, thank you for sharing your process! Mosaics would be a great activity to do with the grandkids. They are also very creative and love to make things. A fun summer activity and maybe not as intimidating as sculpture! 😉 Thank you!🤗

Marsha, your angel button doll is just cuter than words can describe! I love the simple look to her face, though I don’t think anything about creating her was simple!!
Your exchange partner will be over the moon!

Yes, sometimes I leave things a long time while I ponder on them too. Sometimes I finish them. Sometimes I throw them away as hopeless!

Silver City! You have talent! What ideas do you have?

I just made this tutu for my upcoming show, we will be in the costume class! Soooo excited!
331E3F3D-8307-4389-A9B8-3C4661C4DF6A.jpeg

So that got me thinking about you. Silver City, why not make yourself a tutu? Or the horse, or the dog…. or the cat?! Do you have a cat? You could make the tutu for the cat out of toilet paper and hay string! You can’t get any cheaper or simpler than that! Of course we would need pics of said cat with tutu on!! 🤣🤣 There are so many easy tutu tutorials on YouTube and you don’t have to sew anything, just tie knots. Easy peasy! So Silver City? Do you accept the tutu challenge? 🤣🤣 And anyone/everyone else who wants to make a fun tutu and show off their tutu challenge 🤣🤣 It really is fun and easy! 💕💕

Last edited:
Silver City! You have talent! What ideas do you have?

I just made this tutu for my upcoming show, we will be in the costume class! Soooo excited!
View attachment 46620

So that got me thinking about you. Silver City, why not make yourself a tutu? Or the horse, or the dog…. or the cat?! Do you have a cat? You could make the tutu for the cat out of toilet paper and hay string! You can’t get any cheaper or simpler than that! Of course we would need pics of said cat with tutu on!! 🤣🤣 There are so many easy tutu tutorials on YouTube and you don’t have to sew anything, just tie knots. Easy peasy! So Silver City? Do you accept the tutu challenge? 🤣🤣 And anyone/everyone else who wants to make a fun tutu and show off their tutu challenge 🤣🤣 It really is fun and easy! 💕💕
What is the well dress horse wearing?

Latest posts

Back