Countdown to Court

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Another exhausting meeting with the DA's office.........I cannot say enough good things about them.

The days are numbered for when we will be in court seeking justice for Michael. We have waiting more than a year for this trial. We are all worn out and very tired of having what’s left of us turned inside out. I am tired of hating and living a life of a bitter person. I am tired of wanting revenge. I am tired of watching my family turn into people we didn’t know we could become. I hate him for killing Michael and screwing up my other kid. That is the result of the senseless act by a career criminal that took Michael away from us forever. For us, this is what happened to us because we love Michael so much and hurt so bad. I want my family back the way we were; not perfect by no means, but completely goofy and borderline dysfunctional suited us just fine. Without Michael as the resident smart mouth comedian who kept us laughing or tearing our hair out, we are lost. He killed all of us.

The major charge is Murder 2. Other charges are leaving the scene, (2 years max) and vehicular homicide. (6 years max)

We are hoping that the jury will find guilty for Murder 2 because that holds the stiffest penalty, 20 years max. I am hoping that it can be 20 years without any possibility of parole. The DA is confident that the Grand Jury will not throw it out.

They are preparing us and rehearsing us for court. Our time in the court room for testimony will be limited due to the graphic nature of it. They are extremely gentle and "careful" with us and will remove us as soon as possible. I"m worried that Jerry will end up with a stroke or heart attack. He will have to testify regarding issues of the mini bike, and how he watched Michael drive it along side the road at the time of impact. I will have to talk about Michael to familiarize them with Michael and the kind of kid he was. I don't know how I'm going to get through that. I'm worried I am going to throw up, or loose control. A special victims advocate is assigned to work with Daniel because I fear that he is going to explode the minute he comes face to face with the animal. I don't know how anyone is going to be able to hold him back.

On August 21 at 9:00 AM court will convene and a Grand Jury will be selected out of 100 people. They will be asked to look at us, if they know either us or the animal. If they do, they will not be chosen. This may take some time being in a small town. If we get our jury selected before noon, they will proceed with the trial immediately at that point. They want to do this as speedy as possible for our benefit and set aside 3 days. They think it's such a cut and dry case we will only need 2. The only problem we may encounter is that one of our key witnesses, the attending surgeon has planned a trip out of the country a year ago on that date and is having problems re-arranging it. We cannot proceed without him and in that case, court would be postponed and possibly not be re-scheduled until after the first of the year. I'd go crazy if that happened but it is a possibility.

The State has issued 24 subpoenas/witnesses for our side.

The defense has issued 2.

All of the animals buddys have since come over to our side voluntarily.

The defense will not put the animal on the stand. The animals defense is that he didn't do it.

To date: the animal shows absolutely NO remorse.

Many of Michael's senior classmates will be there led by his beloved little Tabitha. His Church youth group will be there and Church friends. Many members of our community will also be there lending us moral support. Our relatives from Kentucky will be here. Michael and Dan's older step brothers, who happen to excel in martial arts, boxing, wrestling, and general "kick yer a___" are also coming. I think we should just save the tax payers a lot of money and give the animal to the brothers and be done with it.

There will be much security and media kept to a minimum.

Since this happened last year, the animal has been arrested for burglary, grand theft auto, and another drug charge of meth. He is currently incarcerated in Sequatchie County jail. These extra charges are going to help us keep him behind bars even longer we hope.

We will be bringing some poster size pictures of Michael for the jury to see, and I have to make a slide show of his pictures.

I'm really tired.

Much Love to All from the Mountian.

Don't worry Michael, We'll get him one way or the other and that's a promise Son.

Mom I hope you aren't mad at me

I got that mini chopper to run

I just had to try it out a little bit

I was having so much fun

I remember we were working on the fence

and you told me to take a break

Instead I went to the garage to work

but I didn't know it would be a fatal mistake

And after a while I finally got it going

I was so proud of myself

No one's been able to fix it for years

but I did with old parts from the shelf

I wasn't even on the road

I wanted to see how it would handle for me

I know what happened after that

Some one ran over me

He drove off speeding and left me

All alone hurt so bloody in the grass

Then I realized you heard it all from the house

The sound of the terrible crash

Mom I really wanted to stay

I did my best to try

I hung on as long as possible

I could hear you scream and cry

Mom I'm so sorry I had no choice

I tried to come back two times they said

but my heart wouldn't jump start any more

and before I knew it I was dead

There was a light that was pulling me up

as I left my body in pieces behind

I seem to have floated with Angels

and they were so very kind

I kept looking down below

and it was awful what I had seen

dad was covered all over in my blood

but somehow I still felt serene

I asked the Angels to let me come back

I told them you'd want me back home

but they said that God was waiting for me

and that I wasn't really leaving you alone

I asked them so many questions

and wanted to know about Dad

I was worried that I was in big trouble with him

when I leave tools out he gets mad

I wanted to know about my little brother

and who's going to watch out for my Dan

but the Angels assured me that it all will be right

and he would grow into a fine young man

Mom I know it's been a long time

and you just can't seem to let me go

I understand the way you feel

I will always love you so

A1Michael4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Marty, I feel for you. This is going to be the hardest of all, reliving all of this AGAIN and having to do this. Remember, it is all for Michael!!! Pray to have the strength for you all to get through this ok. For having to face the animal, that person will have to face a MUCH higher Authority one day and remember, He takes care of everything. So no matter what happens, know that He is watching and will take care of things.

Any chance to get a prescription from your Dr. to just calm all of your nerves a BIT??? I would be a MESS girl, I dont know how you are hanging in there.

I will pray for strength for you all, but just keep Michael first and foremost in your mind!! You must all get through this for him!!!

Wish I could be there to just hold your hand and be silent support. Actually, know that I am there in silent support for you all during this and picture all of your friends here on LB sitting in the courtroom behind you and your family. We are all with you!!!!
default_wub.png
:

Oh great, shouldnt have gone back and read the poem, now I am crying at work!!

Marty, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading that poem, no one should ever have to go thru what you did. I hope this piece of sh*t gets everything he deserves and then some. I feel so bad for you and your complete family having to relive this all over again. Everyone on this forum is here to support you. If you need to talk just give me a jingle. You take extra care of yourself and hang in there, justice will be served. (((hugs))) Corinne

me too crying at work!!! Marty i did not join this forum until months after you lost Michael but have followed your story since i found about it... you don't know me but you and your family have become very important to me and if it would help at all, i would come and stand with you too on that day. you have, and will continue to have, my thoughts and prayers... and Laurie is right, no matter what happens here, the animal WILL face a higher authority, who by now, spendin time with himm, has developed a great attachment to your Michael
default_wub.png
:

Oh Marty....words just don't seem to do anything justice.....

Just know you and your family have been in my thoughts constantly....and you will continue to be....

None of you deserved this.....

~kathryn

Marty, you will have our prayers during this trying time for your family. Please know that most of us may not be able to be there with you in person, but we'll all be praying for you. I can light a candle as well. Please have someone post here to let us know the outcome. Maybe someone could bring a laptop and give us a play by play, somewhat ringside?

I say to let the brothers have him and be done with it. BUT, if he's in prison as a "child killer", the good ol' boys in there might do better than the brothers :new_shocked:

Marty, I will certainly be lighting a candle for you and the family! I really hope that the animal gets what he's got coming to him and gets to sit his a** in jail for killing Michael and everything else that he has done!

HUGS friend!

You are a hero to me! I pray for you and your family. I dont know what to say in fear of saying something stupid. But know I am praying. I PM you awhile ago about my mom. When I talk to my mom I tell to find your son, Michael. From what I read they would be in great company. I think she lead me to you. In your posts I find strength. May GOd Bless.

Oh Marty.......I can feel your emotional exhaustion right through the computer screen. And the tears are behind my eyes right now.

This probably doesn't help at this point, but your post brings back so many memories of what we went through when the family lost our Dan.........I think I told you ages ago that the justice system seems to extend the grieving and can even pull you backwards for a time.........I suppose you already know that by now. And yes, you're right. A family is never the same after. How CAN it be?

Just for the record, it's taken me many many years to work through the hate. Of course, the fact that one of the "animals" that killed my brother resurfaced when Bri was a toddler and I had to deal with the courts all over again for his sentencing with another horrible crime, didn't help any. No, the "forgive and forget" thing is not there for me........but I think I can say the hate has been cleaned out of my system. I pray you can (in time) work it out of your's.

Hugs,

MA

Marty, you and your family remain in my heart and continued prayers.
default_wub.png
:

Oh, Marty, sweetheart, no one should have to go through this h-ll that you and your family have had to endure. It just isn't fair that someone can do something like this and be on the streets until he is tried for murder. He should have been locked up and the key thrown away immediately in my opinion. I will be praying for the outcome you are wishing for. This has to be so emotionally draining for you but once it is over you may be able to at least try to establish a life without this creep being foremost in your mind. I certainly hope so. I think of you often. Keep your chin up girl.
default_wub.png
:

My dear friend, my heart breaks again for you reading this. The tears fall harder than rain and just don't cleanse the hurt I know you feel. I may be way up here in NY but on 8/28, if you feel a small whisper around you...that's just me standing beside you, caring and sharing.

[SIZE=14pt]Oh Marty. I will be praying for you guys on the 21st. I hope they give hime the max on all accounts. I loved your poem. You are so talented.[/SIZE]

Love and hugs,

Christy

Oh Marty, my heart goes out to you, Jerry and Dan.

It will be a very hard time for you all but you do it for Michael. Justice will be served.

Bless your heart

Anita

Hugs to you Marty, you WILL find the strength to go through this and face him, you will be able to tell them about Michael, truth will come out in the end. Know that we're all thinking of you at this time.

krisp

Oh, Marty. You and your family will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers on the 21st, even more than usual. I'll bet you'll have the jury in tears, just like all of us, when you start talking about Michael. They'd have to be as heartless as that animal to not find him guilty and throw the book at him!

We'll be with you in thought and spirit that day, as well as praying for you.

I will be thinking of you, Dan, Jerry and especially Michael on the 21st and will have candles lit for you all. My prayers go with you as you walk into that courtroom. Please know that all the strength and support of your Forum family will sit with you in that courtroom and rejoice with you when this monster is convicted!!

Latest posts

Back