Could still use some good thoughts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
My mare Whitney is 287 days today. As posted before she has been bagging up for about a month and has previous problems with premature/stillborn foals. She has not had a surviving foal in a long time.

We still have her on mega-doses of Regumate, Banamine and she just finished a 14 day course of SMZs. She developed a SEVERE cough recently and is not eating well. Luckily she is a bit overweight so she does need to lose some weight to be at a healthier weight. We put her on a different antibiotic and cough syrup for the cough and are waiting for lab results. I feel bad for her, her coughing just racks her whole body.

But anyway, in the midst of all and despite all meds she has continued to progress and took a huge leap forward a few days ago. Checked her in the morning to find her bag full and tight and waxed. She is now intermittently leaking milk, just a very small amount but still discouraging. She seems very uncomfortable, even with the Banamine. Lots of rolling, cat stretches, pacing, belly biting/kicking. I'm watching her on the monitor right now doing the cricket dance and butt-rubbing. Her milk is goldeny-whitish and very sticky. I had major surgery April 8 so I can't really collect her to test her milk (probably wouldn't anyway, so I don't stimulate more milk). We got some a couple nights ago and that's what it looked/felt like then.

At this point with her we just watch her closely, continue her meds and pray she somehow holds off but does ANYONE have any other ideas to try? We've run through all the ideas so far, from vets and from LB-ers. On the bright side, she hasn't foaled yet, even with the wax/milk so maybe she will keep holding off....

One other question for you pros, she rolls a LOT. As in, lays down, rolls, get up and goes down again within a few minutes. She'll repeat this a few times through the night. I don't recall her rolling this much last time and my other mares didn't either. Do any of you associate this with a malpositioned foal? I can't help wondering if this is why she hasn't foaled yet, as she looks dropped but is still wide on one side.

Anyway, hoping someone has a new idea but mainly just asking for some good thoughts that she will hold off - we could sure use them. This is our only 2010 baby and we are SO CLOSE to viability, it's driving me crazy! What do you guys think about her signs - would love to hear from people that have had mares do this/look like this and then not foal for awhile
default_yes.gif
Think she could make it longer?

Thanks so much for your good thoughts/prayers guys - it's your support that helps me through these tough situations and keep me focused on the good stuff. I am still mostly stuck in bed with not much to do other than stare at Whitney on the monitor and worry.

Whitney_bagrear_5_3_10.jpg

Whitney_bagunder_5_3_10.jpg

Whitney_bagside_5_3_10.jpg

Whitney_milk_5_1_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Praying for a successful foaling for your little mare. I've had a very healthy but just a tad premature foal born at 291 days. Just had to keep her warmer than you would think. She's now a world TT mare.

Is she on ulcer meds? With the banamine that could be what is making her roll and exhibit signs of belly pain. Ranitidine and Ulcerguard. I've used both successfully as well as sucralfate on preg mares.

I 'think' I remember my vet telling me that Tri-Hist is contraindicated in preg mares.

Think positive! You've made it this far.

Charlotte

Praying for your little mare that she will hold off a little bit longer! You made it so far already!

You could easily get a live, viable foal at 287 days.

I have everything crossed for you, I know how you feel.

Hang in there and tell the mare to do the same.!

Praying your little mare hangs on a little longer
default_sad.png

Poor girl, she sounds so uncomfortable
default_no.gif

Hi Shauna,

I have had a foal born and live that was 282 days. It was intensive care for her for weeks, but she did make it. I would recommend ulcerguard also, it surely cannot hurt her and yes I would consider up - down - rolling something to be concerned about, whether it is ulcers or re positioning her foal.

Good luck, glad to hear she is still holding on. Tri hist is not good for pregnant mares nor is any other cough syrup as I've been told. No antihistimes at all.

Beth

Thank you for the support, it really helps. She is hanging on, I wish I could make her more comfortable, she had a pretty rough night, as did we - since she looked like she was going to foal any minute ALL NIGHT. I put her on ulcerguard last night just in case but I am highly suspicious that the rolling is related to the foal's position. Thank you for all the info and success stories, I rely on your experience
default_yes.gif
Today is day 288, the day Soldier (who died a few days later) was born last year so it would be hard for us emotionally if she foals today.

Shauna,

I had a mare this year, that looked like your mare for almost two weeks. When she truly got rock hard and her nipples where firm and pointed out, then she waxed. big hugh drips on her nipples. Then it was still 48 hours before she foaled.

Another one had nipples and a bag like that too. She also had fluid like that and was very sticky. That went on for over 2 weeks, till the sticky was so thick it would not drip off my finger. Still she waited another couple of days.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Any word?

suggestion.......if she still seems painful.......give Ranitidine (zantac) as well as Ulcerguard. Ranitidine will work in 30 minutes to 1 hour if ulcers are the problem (lasts about 4 hours so I give 3 x day). Ulcerguard can take from 3-5 days to help.

Sure hope all is well.

Charlotte

She is still hanging on, I am so grateful for each day we get. She has been dripping milk for 4 days now, last year she dripped milk for 10 days before she foaled so I'm HOPING that may mean we can get another 6 days in? She is still very uncomfortable, rolling etc.

Her cough is much improved, thankfully and she had been eating better yesterday and this morning but tonight she has not touched her hay. Thanks Charlotte for the Ranitidine idea, I'll go out and give her some. She does a lot of cat stretching along with the rolling. She's pooping normally, drinking water, etc.

She's been dripping milk long enough now that I think I need to have some more colostrum on hand. I have some but not much. Last year I got it from New York but I'm looking for something closer this time.

Riverdance, thanks for your stories, it's good to know how long they can hang on like this.

Whitney went into labor today, we knew right away something was wrong from the way she was acting (plus I already had a terrible feeling about it from all the rolling she was doing this week). I could feel what I thought was a hip or rear so we loaded her into the trailer and headed for the equine hospital about 30 minutes away.

It took them what felt like forever but they were awesome and were able to anesthetize her, untangle and pull the foal, who sadly didn't make it. It was his hip/flank I was feeling so they had to flip him all the way around, I can't believe they were able to get him out of there. It was a tiny palomino colt with a huge star
default_sad.png
Thankfully, Whitney is doing well, she's staying there for a couple days but she should recover fully. She is offically retired from breeding now and will have a wonderful life just hanging around and relaxing. I'm pretty sad about my baby, he was breathtakingly beautiful even in death, but I am so thankful that Whitney is ok. Thank you for all your support.

I am so sorry to hear about your foal but am happy for you that the mare will recover and be ok... Sounds like she is destined to be a beautiful pasture pet.. Hang in there and HUGS to you and your mare for the loss...

I'm so sorry Shauna about the lost baby. He sounded beautiful. You sure have had your share to deal with yet somehow you seem to find the good in it all. I'm very thankful Whitney will be ok. Poor girl and you sure tried everything possible to help this have a successful outcome. You are a great horsey mom. Hugs to you and Whitney.
wub.gif

I am so sorry Whitney could not hang on a little longer. I know how terrible you must feel. I had a mare that lost five foals in a row We tried all the usual things ,Regumate and a caslick. The last foal went full term but was born dead with a twisted cord. I couldn't put my mare or myself thru another foaling so I taught her to drive. Not all mares are meant to be mothers. You might enjoy driving Whitney.

Latest posts

Back