Cookie's thread- 7/4 A FILLY! PICS on pg 16 now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the baby just wont nurse- they have having to milk the mare to feed the foal. Have already called their vet who said just to keep feeding the filly every half an hour.

I had the same problem with my first colt this year, he had a great appetite but couldn't seem to latch on, i had to milk mum every 30 mins and bottle feed him. It was VERY tiring but worth it, he finally latched on 4 days later.

I am sending prayers she learns soon.

It is also important that in between feeds they leave her to bond with mum or they will end up with a foal that doesn't know she is a horse. In the day I fed him under mum so he got the message that milk comes from "under there" I didn't insist as much during the night cos it was just sooooo tiring but in the day I did.

Thanks for the tips and I will pass all this on! Yes, they are feeding every 30 minutes. Diane the nipples will elongate once they are 'used' a bit. I had the same problem with Vixen when Karma was born, but in just a few hours all was good!

She is in with her mama, who is doing great and is so patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 10.40pm the cam is down, I hope all is well
default_pray.gif

Congrats!

I hope things improve soon, my problem filly need a few human assited feedings but we also spent a lot of time guiding her to her mother's udder and encouraging her to work it out. Thankfully she got it after a few times and I could sleep that night!

Cookie and baby Dixie went to an equine hospital close by them. The mares nipples are just too small for her to latch on to. They thought it best to have her where there is someone to do this round the clock and monitor the baby and also make sure she will get enough colostrum, etc.... They will try to get things squared away where she can nurse on mama, but at this point, the foal cannot nurse on her at all.

Thanks for letting us know
default_yes.gif
I am with Diane and sending lots of
default_pray.gif
for Cookie, Dixie and their wonderful owners.

Well done to them for making a fast and sensible decision. I'm sure the clever people at the centre will do all they can for little Dixie and her new Momma. Please send them our very best wishes and tell them they are all in our prayers.
default_yes.gif
default_pray.gif

Lots of prayers for Cookie and baby Dixie
default_pray.gif

YEAH!!! Just got a text from mama that little Dixie is nursing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!! Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts!

BRILLIANT!! I'm so pleased for them - wont be long now until Cookie and Dixie are back home safe and sound. What a relief for all concerned.
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

I am sure they will pick her up tonight and I will have them send a pic so I can post- yeah!

Fantastic news
default_thumbup.gif
I am so pleased to hear that she has found the milk bar.

12.20am and the girls are looking great
default_thumbup.gif
Dixie just had a quick snack and then she shot off to play with mum's dinner bowl
default_smile.png

Cookie is rubbing her booty.
default_thumbdown.gif

LOL!! Nothing changes - Cookie is still playing statues and obviously has Dixie doing the same thing but hidden behind her!! But it's brilliant t have them both home again.
default_thumbup.gif

I will post a couple of pics this evening- the family is thrilled that they are home and they are SO in love with Dixie.

Ok, so after her rough start and a trip to horsie ICU for her first day and night, here is Cookie and baby Dixie right after they arrived home from the hospital. Heard from their mama this morning and they are SO, SO, SO in love with the baby. She is just a day old here.

CookiebabyDixie.jpg

CookiesDixie.jpg

SUCCESS!!! She was finally able to make use of the milk bar!!

CookienurseDixie.jpg

Back