Miniature Mule .....We have a baby!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
I have permission to post these photos any story of a friend's mini. She is a 4yr old maiden, and was purchased a year ago, from a farm with other miniature mares and a miniature Jack. She wasn't supposed to be bred, but I went an had a look at her and she definitely is. I can feel the baby kicking and I think she is starting to bag up. At about what month gestation have you been able to feel the baby kicking? I have been able to feel it moving at the front of her udder and a couple good kicks along her side. Here are some pictures from 3 weeks ago. I won't be able to get updated pictures until the weekends because I am away at college. I will check in on her when I am home and will be sure to get photos.

Shylo, Mar  17(2).JPG

Shylo, Mar  17(1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for the pictures - she looks pretty close to foaling to me, plus if your friend has had her for around a year she must foal very soon! (is it possible that a mini mare in foal to a jack would carry the foal longer like normal donkeys do?? Someone???)

Please tell your friend to start watching her little mare 24/7 especially as she is a maiden. Also to make sure there is somewhere safe for her to foal, preferably with lighting in case assistance is needed. Sorry if she already knows all this and has everything organised - it is not easy over internet postings to tell if owners are experienced or not!

Sending your friend good luck - do keep us posted on how things are progressing please.
default_yes.gif

Welcome! She certainly is making progress in the udder department, and she looks as if she's dropping nicely. Since she's bagging up, hopefully she'll complete her udder. Look for the nipples to be separated and pointing down, and 'filled' -- not flattened. As Anna said, we're not sure whether you know all this or not, so we just say it in case.

There are some good threads pinned at the top of our forum, about birthing. You might want to print them out for your friend, and leave them with her, in case she needs some help.

When you go there, see if you can get a picture standing behind her, right down at her level and looking forward along her sides. Then we can see how the little one is 'riding' and that will help us know when she's getting ready!

Can't wait to see more of this precious mare!

Last edited:
Thanks Anna, We've moved them around and she is checked regularly. Turned out in a paddock close to the house and barn checked during the night. I've been giving her some advice that I have picked up from reading the forum.
default_smile.png
We appreciate it all. I found out it's has been closer to 10 months that she owned the mare.

That is a good idea Diane.I will print the threads and send them her way. Ok,I will be sure to get that picture. As of Friday her sides were still round. I don't think the foal has lined up yet.

Anna I've read that mares carrying a mule foal will carry between the horses average gestation (so what 320 or so for minis) and the donkey's 12 month gestation. Might be able to find that out on the donkey forum here on LB, it hasn't been too active lately, but someone might be watching it.

Thanks Chanda, must admit that I would have thought that the dam (mini mare in this case) would have governed the length of pregnancy, but was just interested. Might try a post on the Donkey forum - as you say, someone may know.

From what I have researched their gestation is more like a horse so 340 days, Maybe a little less because it's a mini.

Here is the update for today. Shylo's tail head is getting very soft. Her bag is growing. Her vulva is getting looser., but hasn't changed colour yet. I don't think we have too long to wait. From the pictures I don't think the baby is lined up yet, but your opinions would be great.
default_smile.png

April 4 (5).JPG

April 4 (7).JPG

April 4 (10).JPG

April 4 (13).JPG

Vulva is getting puffy, but I still think she could elongate a bit more. Udder is filling, but not filled, but she could do that at foaling, but I'm always encouraged that if they start an udder they will work to fill it a bit more. But again, some don't.

Baby in the picture isn't quite lined up, but a few good rolls can fix that. So, I'm hoping you have a little while longer, so the udder can fill more, she can elongate a bit more, and she'll do some good rolling to get baby lined up for you.

But, I think it will be sooner rather than later, for sure!

Last edited:
Moving ahead VERY nicely! Udder growing nicely, baby still a bit sideways, but rolling will quickly change that. And she's elongating nicely. She looks like everything is moving along together, so keep a close eye on her. Once that udder fills a little more, and the nipples separate and fill, she'll be elongated enough for a smooth exit path for baby! She could move VERY quickly now -- so watch her like a hawk!

Nipples separating. She's making good, steady progress from one day to the next. Hopefully, she'll continue to separate those nipples and fill them, and she's looking like she's getting ready to go. Keep the pictures coming. She's changing a lot each day now, so she's doing just fine!

Her udder is starting to harden up more. Also her mood is changing, she is restless and cranky.

Latest posts

Back