Cookie's thread- 7/4 A FILLY! PICS on pg 16 now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Buffy has at long last decided that we have all waited long enough to see her new baby - sooooooooooo it is now up to you Cookie! It is YOUR TURN NOW!!
default_yes.gif

Ok yesterday her milk was no longer sticky but it was clear??!! What is up with that? It went from cloudy to clear? Came out in a nice stream. We are going nuts here....

Ok, we have 'skim milk' this morning!!!!

OMG this mare is TORTURE. But maybe she has decided tonight is the night (fingers crossed LOL)

LOL!! I say that every night Karina (I'm sure everyone else does too), but so far our pleas have fallen on DEAF EARS!!

She is very uncomfortable today- rolled and has been breathing pretty heavily.

Cookie is certainly a candidate for a big squeezy hug.... that or use of a plunger!

I agree wings- get the plunger!! Ha, yep, wondering if she will wait til after midnight or.... wait for... ???!!! An engraved invitation?

She will be shut in for the night soon to munch her dinner, so we will see what happens.... I can tell it's gonna be a long night and glad I have tomorrow off. I told her mama that if she doesnt have this foal tonight- guess what's on the Bar B for holiday meal tomorrow?!!!

Well she's still playing statues at the moment - but guess she's waiting until after midnight for a 4th July baby!
default_yes.gif

OMG, baby is out- that was tough

It was dystocia with a front leg back- ha, nice foaling for the mare AND owners first time! They all handled it like champs!!

It was SCARY and I knew something was wrong when she started rolling up on her back and nothing was happening. I am about an hour and a half from them so could not even help! They had the stallion owner on the phone who walked them through what to do (they have been breeding since about 1980) so have been thru just about every kind of foaling. Ha, once the baby was out I started crying I was so relieved. I dont even get that emotional over mine- you just do what you gotta do at the time. I was so scared they would lose this baby that they have been SO excited about.

Now the mares nipples are so little they are having to try to get some milk out for the foal, and hopefully the nipples will shape so the foal can latch on.

By the way, they have not figured out her whole name yet, but they call her Dixie.

Oh HOORAY!! Many congratulations!! Sorry it wasn't an easy birth for a first time experience, but well done everyone.
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

Just seen them in there trying to get the new little girl to drink - is there a problem? Wondering why help is needed - is Cookie not feeling very settled? Sorry only just logged in so not been watching, and hoping that there wasn't a problem.
default_yes.gif

Being a maiden mare, Cookie's nipples are just about non existant as her bag is huge- and not enough nipple for the baby to even latch onto- so they got a little milk from the mare and gave the baby since it's been a while. Had to give Cookie some pain meds too- she wont stay up she is hurting too much. Once they get her nipples to have some kind of shape (I only had to milk out a maiden mare a couple of times) so the baby can latch on, they will be ok.

Thank you Laurie for the explanation. I was a little concerned, but I can well understand that Cookie must be feeling pretty sore, plus I have had some 'tiny nippled' maidens myself. Do hope all settles down for them very soon.
default_yes.gif

Back