Considering Leasing My Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
To make a long story short I will possibly be moving to Connecticut and will be having to board my horses while I'm there since they won't allow you to have horses....even in miniature size....on the naval base no matter how much I beg lol.

My herd consists of two riding horses, a mature stallion, a weanling colt, a mature gelding and two bred mares due in 2012 by my mature stud. The two foals have been reserved (without payment) to an aquaintence of mine as she really wants them.....my concern is that with work and school I won't be available to foal the two mares out so I was considering leasing them to the lady who wants the foals....but where would I even begin with that? I have never leased before and I need some pointers.

I know that I would have a clause stating that once the foals are born they are to be paid for but would it be more reasonable to have them place a deposit once born and then paid in full by weaning? I am offering a LFG on the two foals since she really likes these two crosses......

Also should I have her get insurance on them? I know that I was going to have a clause stating that if the mares were to perish (fact of life) that they were to be replaced with a mare or filly of equal value and registration.

After foaling and weaning I plan on bringing them up to me but taking them to CT to foal out when I don't have the facilities nor time to foal them out is just no feasible and I am wanting to do what's best for them.

Any tips, advice and concerns? Also could someone email me their lease contracts to [email protected] thanks so much!

I don't have any contracts, but you can just draw up your own.Put everything in it that you have addressed in your e mail and DEFINITELY get insurance on any that you would want to replace.I have had good luck with Gencorp in RI.Be sure the insurance is in the name of the person who actually owns the horses and will get the money should something happen.Unfortunately had 2 claims in the past 20 years and they were quick to respond and pay.Good luck on your move.

When I first got into breeding minis I leased a mare, she was bred,I foaled her out but the foal belonged to her owner. It was a 2 year lease, I got the next two foals if I chose to breed the mare, and then sent the mare back in foal. This way we didn't exchange any money for the lease and it worked out well, I renewed the lease one more time, and then ended up trading one of my fillies for the mare and I still own her today, she is one of my favorites!

The mare was insured over the time of the lease, I think for both mortality and major medical, but I can't remember for sure. I was responsible for all feed/care/vet bills, etc. If you haven't found one I can look for the lease contract we used, just PM me your e-mail.

Okay so it sounds like I definately want to get them on insurance while they have them.....but I do have a few more additional questions....

Should I charge a lease fee? I mean the lady is already "buying" the foals from me, so I'm not exactly sure if I want to or need to charge a lease fee...

I do know that they will be responsible for general husbandry with the both of them, but how "specific" to my general routine should I make them stick with? I know that they do wonderfully on Strategy GX twice per day along with two flakes of quality coastal hay twice per day......should I make them stick with that or allow them to feed something else?

I am having a hard time coming up with a contract by myself so if anyone has a sample or wouldn't mind giving me pointers on how to write it up, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back