Conformation ,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowRidge Farm

Reaction score
I was asked to start a conformation thread for newbies. So I guess here goes :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: This is going to be hard because everyone has there own likes and dislikes, some like a drafty stocky built and others like the more slender built.
default_yes.gif
: First off, if your going to start breeding, your jack should be your most important purchase, since the jack is going to give your foals 50% of there conformation. You do not want to buy a donkey for breeding with turned out front legs or one that is cow-hocked. You also should check there mouth to make sure there not parrot mouthed (that is where the teeth extend more then 1/4" from the opposite set of teeth) . You also want your donkey to have a really nice friendly temperment. Lets keep this thread going.... and help the newbies. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate seeing misproportioned or down hill in front donkey's.

My Ella is as close as I have seen in a well proportioned Donkey be. I am not her breeder so can not take credit for how nice she is. But her breeder knew what they were doing. She has balance, is niether too refined or too stout. She has a level top line.

I like seeing straight legs and large soft eyes.

And good Temperament is very important too. Not all donkeys are like that. She has a people loving temperament.

I started looking last year for a Jack I could breed Ella too this summer, as she will be a little over 3 years old then. Am one of those people that rather find a good local stud to breed my girls to,,than having a stud here. But think that will be changing.

The Jack would have to be as nice in conformation and temperament as Ella is. What I have been finding is really depressing.

Looking or finding her match or a Jack better than she is, proving to be very hard.

Do also know her faults, so the Jack would have to be strong where she is weak.

Is why I am thinking about buying my own Jack.

I started looking last year for a Jack I could breed Ella too this summer, as she will be a little over 3 years old then. Am one of those people that rather find a good local stud to breed my girls to,,than having a stud here. But think that will be changing.The Jack would have to be as nice in conformation and temperament as Ella is. What I have been finding is really depressing.

Looking or finding her match or a Jack better than she is, proving to be very hard.

too bad you aren't close to me... Dillon has an awesome temperament, very friendly, and extremely handsome, and great confirmation... (no really, i'm not bragging, he is awesome!!)
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin :aktion033:
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back