I just want to scream!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
Today was a weird day... My daughter missed her bus for the first time. I had to drive her to school and while we are going up the road she says.. "Hey, theres a dog on the barn bridge"...

Well, I turn the car around and go back to the barn and sure enough, there is a little dog sitting on the barn bridge.

It is a Jack russell terrier male and he comes right up to me and I notice he has a freaking choke chain collar burrowed deep into his neck. He is soaking wet and shivering and dragging the end of the choke collar and his neck is horrible bloody crusty infected goo. Collar is stuck tight and imbedded. sheesh. We carefully load him into a crate I had in the car and he gets to ride to the school with the heat blasting in the car to warm him up while I drop off my daughter.

I get home and find a larger crate and pad it and start soaking that neck with some antibacterial spray off and on while we take care of our cows. After about 3 hours the collar loosens enough so I can get it off. It had a split key ring in the chain so it wouldn't slip loosen by itself, it has been on that dog for quite some time.

I will keep spray cleaning up that neck, he seems so happy to be fussed over. I gave him a harness so I can walk him without touching the neck. He is fed and has drank water and he is fussing about being in the crate but not too bad. Happy wagging tail. loud mouth. LOL.

Has a cough, a lame leg, bad teeth, is old, and intact male. sheesh. Some people are such jerks. I have no idea what I am going to do with him. Will keep him at the barn for now while we doctor him up. He has a cough, probably outside dog and might even have heartworms.

Can I scream now! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Poor dog. stupid dog owners. Money is tight and I need a project dog like a hole in the head, but I can't turn him away or drop him off at the shelter in this condition, I can't ignore critters in need. I will keep you posted on whether we can save the little guy. The cow herd vet was here today and took a look at him for me and gave me some treatment options. He has a waggy little tail but typical jack russell. Wants to escape badly too, slippery little guy to hold onto. I worry he will get away from me during treatment and head for the hills, wish me luck!

Bless you for taking him in. Sounds like you have your hands full and will be busy.

While not dumped by some stranger, I found a litter of 3 young barn kittens the other day that had been abandoned by their mother (they do that around here about this time of year, mom's are getting ready for winter and the kittens lose). Unfortunately, two were too weak to save, but I have a noisy little black kitty in a tote in Shayne's office (warmest room in the house); and we are working on getting him fed, fat and healthy. So far, so good with this little guy. Almost time to feed him again, then time to feed horses and then feed us.

Good luck with the little guy. You are a blessing to him. that is exactly right. "Poor dog, stupid owner" It is too bad there are WAY too many stupid owners out there.

WOW
default_sad.png
Poor little guy.

Lucky your daughter saw him and that she has such a great mom! He's in good hands now (if he doesn't wiggle away)

Good luck with Lucky!

We call him "sparky" haha. Have a cat named lucky that somebody threw out a car window at my daughter standing at the bus stop last year. Our barn is nice and warm with the cows in it, I had him in the barn and he seemed comfortable with the cows and cats.

Two years ago I said to somebody " I could never live with a hound" and a week later somebody dumped a bassett hound here on the farm, he stayed and we named him Fred. A few weeks ago I was complaining about JRTs and their energy level and hyper activity to somebody and I said those dreaded words... "would never want to live with a Jack russell terrier, and I said, "they turn on your spigots and want to change light bulbs while you sleep". Then this dog shows up. When he grabbed at some spurting water coming out of a hose, I got a de ja vu about the water comment. He can live at the barn for now, I never turn away critters in need that show up like that needing help.

Somebody up there likes to play doggie jokes on me and I got to quit saying those things out loud. When I was telling my friend Kim about the dog earlier today she says..., hey, I would love to have a poodle, could you please tell somebody you couldn't live with a poodle so you can gift me one when it shows up?" haha.

I also recently said to somebody that my puppy raising days are over and I would adopt older dogs from now on... a few weeks later I got a puppy on mothers day.

Sheesh, I am such a weak willed person. snicker.

Even funnier... I ordered a harness for my puppy and it didn't fit. I didn't get around to returning it... I ordered a different harness. The one that didn't fit my puppy fit this dog perfectly. I looked at the package and it has a JRT on it wearing the harness in the picture that looks like this dog. ... twilight zone.. yep.

Here is a picture... The ring around his neck is not a collar, that is the gross goo from the collar being stuck in his neck. I couldn't get a close up photo of the neck that was in focus but thought Id spare you the gore. His left front leg is crooked and lame when he walks and his off side eye has an ulcer I am treating. he is in good weight thankfully. Will get him scanned for a microchip at my vet when I get him there just in case, but my husband assures me I would be more likely to find a microchip in his hide.

hard to tell his age, his teeth on the bottom are white, the canines are ultra long and heavily crusted with plaque and he has teeth that are loose and gross on top. I guess him to be about 8, his photo looks young, but he has grey on his muzzle and his eyes are not perfectly clear. Not sure, maybe he is younger in years but has miles on him. My guess is that he lived out doors tied to that collar.

best wishes, gotta go to the barn now. thanks for reading.

011.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years ago I said to somebody " I could never live with a hound" and a week later somebody dumped a bassett hound here on the farm, he stayed and we named him Fred.
So, did you get that name from "Smokey and the Bandit"? The Bassett in the movie was named Fred.

yep, smokey and the bandits fred, there is also a comic strip called Fred the bassett. funny thing is that now that he has been here a while he likes to be called "scooby doo" on occasion. If he is ignoring me I say "hey scooby doo" and he comes running, he is a goof and my farm exploring partner. He loves to go sniffing.

Bless your heart. There was a story shared on FB with me on Friday, kind of reminds me of this.. I really need to find it.....about an elederly dog dropped off at a pound, someone that adopted the poor old soul and the letter they wrote to the previous owner of 12 years that could not bother to see their companion of 12 years through their last days, or at least have him euthanized so he would not die in pain and alone. it described his last few months and how the new owner stared into his eyes and stroked his head when it was time to let him go. I cried and cried, but it reminded me of the reasons why I could never ever just drop a dog off at the vet to be put down.

Your a good soul my dear, there is a special place in heaven for individuals like you!

Reactions: REO
awwww thanks Carolyn. Fred the bassett was dropped off with a young lab dog who got adopted right away. Nobody thought a 7+ year old un neutered basset hound with ear and eye infections and blistered feet stood a chance at being adoptable so he got to stay here. He is loud and silly and the floor shakes when he gallops in the kitchen, but I can never again say I could not live with a hound. haha. He is terrific. I also have a tibetan spaniel I adopted at 7 that was not spayed, had bladder stones, an ear infection, and a false pregnancy and was not housebroken and had lived with a senior citizen who died. After I got her healthy she got to stay, she is very sweet girl.

I always said if I went to the island of misfit toys I would come home with the train with square wheels. They keep finding me here, living on a farm we get alot of cast offs. Really ticks me off. Had another cat dropped a few weeks ago. They keep showing up. I do trap neuter release and its like draining the ocean.

Sparky the JRT wouldn't stop barking and boy does he have a loud mouth..., not used to being in a crate and he is thinking he doesn't really like cats, he was polite to them when he was dragging that chain, but now he thinks they stare too much. , he is enjoying a bone and finally stopping barking now, cow barn is nice and warm. Tough getting him in and out of the crate. slippery as an eel and I can't grab his neck. Hope he learns to trust me soon.

You are a blessing to these misfits! I love your stories, so please don't ever stop sharing!!

I'm a huge JRT(Parsons) fan. But I would only have one If he was my only dog and I could focus on him. Not that that's a choice of yours lol. I had a Jack/ schnauzer mix, he was my best friend!! Would I get one again Yes, would I be asking for a punishment, Yes, would be worth it...ABSOLUTELY!!!

My hubby is like a dog whisperer. Animals in general love him. He is not an animal fan at all which is a shame, he would have made an awesome vet.
default_yes.gif
We were sitting in the back a few days ago and a huge red pitbull came wondering up. I was scared, hubby said come here big guy and snapped his fingers, of course here he comes and sat on my hubbys feet. BIG unfixed male. Of course right. God forbid some one get there pitbull fixed. Some people make me sick... He was beat up, I think he was wondering for awhile. I had just let my 3 dogs in when he wondered up. I kept thinking OMG things could have been bad, really bad.

Thanks for finding him and helping him. These guys find you for a reason
default_wink.png

Please keep updating his progress!!!

I am still going to try to find somebody that is interested in taking on a project dog, on occasion I am gifted a dog ment for somebody else. I once located a poodle that needed a home. I mentioned to a friend of mine and she adopted the dog. She said to me "I have never been ga ga over a dog untl now"... that poodle was her best friend for 10 years. great dog. I got to baby sit for the poodle (Elsa) when my friend traveled on business. My husband always said I should have kept that one. She was a one in a million dog. I was glad I got to see her over the years, and if I ever do find a home for a dog it has to be somebody I know very well and trust. I have to get him in better health and evaluate. I strongly suspect heartworms. I used to work for a vet and he has that funny deep cough that heartworm dogs get, but maybe not. Gonna give him a bath first warmer day and try to get those crustys on his neck healed. I am going out to get some more vetercyn spray today. Expensive but works miracles on that type of wound. For now he can stay at the barn and continue to make the cats stare. LOL. I hope I don't meet his former owner. I don't think I could be very nice. Amazing the transformation in only one day, just getting that chain out of his neck and he went from slinking to perky and watchful in that photo I attached. I should have taken photos of before the chain was removed my husband said. Looked like two different dogs. His head was to the ground yesterday morning. The spray I used on his neck yesterday doubled as spray pain killer, something my vet gave me awhile back. Will see what today brings, hope I can keep him contained til I can get him healthy. He likely escaped from where he is, getting him in the crate is very tricky but I hate tieing dogs and letting him run loose is not an option either.

Hubby would agree with Sparky on the cat staring thing! He hates it when the cats stare at him. I find it hilarious when he yells at the cats for looking at him while he watching tv or eating! Like the cats are going to listen... yeah right! Hehehe!

You'll find Sparky a new home! I can't even imagine what pain he was in from that chain.

when my now 20 yr. old grandson was 6 he begged his Mom for a JRT, she finally gave in and said he could have one for his birthday. So hubby and I bought him a puppy. I also have worked with dogs all my life and have adored many breeds, but also said I would never own a little yelping, hyper, JRT. Well a few months after he got his puppy, my son-in-law was transfered to Florida. I was to take care of "Charlie" for two months while they got settled. Needless to say "Charley" is still here 14 yrs. later. He is my little buddy, and I can't even sleep without him cuddled up to me under the covers. He has gone to all our horse shows, guards the tack room and trailer, and on our several trips to Nationals has chased away those noisy tractor trailers. He is agreat mouser, and nothing comes in his yard or it dies. I once saw him take on a black snake and it coiled all around him, but he won the battle. He has had two dentals, and needs another one, but at his age it is too risky, although he thinks he is a youngster and he is all muscle. I bet if you give this little guy a chance he can work his way into your heart and your bed, they make great bed warmers.

IM000001cowboy.JPGI also had a JRT miniature schnauzer mix given to me from an 'accidental' litter. He was a blessing for I had lost my beagle to heart attack. Talk about a character, he kept us laughing and on the run, and a good companion while working with the horses. He lived to be 17 years old. He never could catch a squirrel but he gave it a good try and tried to climb trees after them. Your rescue is so cute, love these feisty types. I bet he is where he is supposed to be, FATE stepped in again to you and heard you say those words and matched you again with an animal in need. He is so fortunate you found him. I know the feeling and need to scream not again someone mistreating a dog like that, because I am the magnet as well for lost and dumped out pets. We have kept a few of the ones I found because we finally gave in and accepted that perhaps it was meant to be even tho I really did not need any more to feed. We kept two dogs some people just plain left to fend for themselves when they packed up and moved away and they were such lovely sweet dogs, one cannot figure out a certain element of the human race.

I have a little dog right now that has a story wrapped in Fate that brought us together but it will have to wait for another time.

Enjoyed your description(s) of your rescues.....Bless you.

We also like to take in older dogs that are harder to place. It's hard to bid them good bye, but also very rewarding. So far we've had Tucker - the Bernese Mt. Dog, Lucy - the hound, and now Duke - a Golden Retriever. Each time we are told that they probably won't live more than a couple more years, but they all stayed with us much longer. At the moment we have 6 dogs and three of them are seniors and they are ALL good friends. Our three younger ones keep the older ones from FEELING old, I think.

I hope you keep us updated on your little fellow "Sparky" aka "Scooby". (Could he be telling you which name he prefers?)

Hi Miniv... Actually Sparky and aka Scooby are two different dogs. Sparky is the newest drop off in need of saving, Fred/scooby was the one from a little more than a year ago and you are right, he picked his name so on his vet record he is Fred, in the house he is scooby doooooo. haha..

My son is taking a shine to Sparky the JRT. He says to me last night.. Hey, we have a whole house of "crappy old dogs", why can't I keep this "good dog". My son is 11. I reminded him that he said the same about the bassett hound and now mommy does all the care and walking. LOL, did he just call the dogs "crappy", I know he didn't mean it, the topic on whether to keep dog number 8 is a hot one in our house right now. I was calling around rescues and local friends that might want to take Sparky in for a project dog and that is why my son is getting nervous. Most of our dogs are old and as they age they just lay around more, not as much fun as the new dog on the block... haha, kids and their view point on life, keeps you young and laughing.

My vet gave me some medicine for Sparkys neck and as he feels better from the lack of the imbedded chain his JRT personality is coming out. Probably why my son is thinking he is cool. Yesterday I had to explain the difference in an intact male pee habits and a neutered male pee habits. My son came up to me and says "Hey you didn't walk Sparky cause when I took him out he peed like 5 times!" I said, well, I just had him out 30 minutes ago and intact males can pee around like that and hold back some pee to pee some more, they do that. you should have seen my sons face processing that one. Cracked me up.

Sparky is easier to get back into the crate if you give him a cheese stick. That problem now solved. I am sure he was never crate trained. I covered his crate with feed sacks in the barn last night for warmth and he pulled them all into the crate to lay on instead. Big sacks and narrow bars, It was hilarious how many were stuck half way and shredded.

stay tuned.

One of the folks I called yesterday about placing the dog wants to come see Sparky today, she just texted me. sheesh. I think I better give him some more days and not upset my son, this would be a good home, but I know how it is when a dog "talks" to you and you feel compelled to go against what is smart to do, and go with your heart instead. My son gets that from me. Maybe in a few days we will figure out what is best for the dog. take care and thanks for reading and writing.

I know my son is. I was talking to a friend and said something about talking her into taking a project dog on and when I get off the phone my son yells at me "you are NOT giving MY dog away!" lol

Sadly this little guy is NOT cat friendly. My kitties are not safe around him. Great dog with humans and kids and cows etc. Hates cats so even my son says... Hey mom, this dog needs to go somewhere else, he is too rough with the cats. It is sad, but we have too many cats and some are very old and I can't have a dog that isn't cat friendly with all the rescue cats we have adopted here.
Good news is that his neck is healing terrific and we have rescue associations around here that might be able to find him a good placement due to his excellent people skills and friendly attitude toward kids. super temperament. Crabby with cats. Crate trained and not so barky now. walks good on a leash and I think these things might help him get adopted, I hope so. wish me luck. Calling around to try to find him a special place. so far all the jack russell terrier rescues are full and not taking any more critters. His age will hurt him for adoption, I think he is at least 5 years old. wish me luck. . Dont fry me for trying to find him a home. If I cannot provide the proper environment I know what I must do. take care:( sigh. I just want to scream with frustration.

Why would someone fry you for doing the responsible thing? Of course you must find him a better situation, neither you, your cats not this poor dog will be happy in the end if you keep him knowing he is a poor fit. You are doing what you can for him (far more it seems than his previous owner) by getting him healthy and taking care of him until he can find a perfect home. You are to be commended for not just dumping him somewhere (animal control) and washing your hands of 'the problem'. He will find someone out there who can love him in spite of his issue with cats. I just want to add, it doesn't surprise me that the Jack Russel rescues are full, many people who get a jack puppy have know idea of how challenging they can be and this is not a breed that fits in every household. For some they are a perfect fit and exactly what they want in a dog but that so often is not the case and the dog is the one who looses.

Latest posts

Back