Conditioning a Yearling How?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
First of all, hello to everyone, my name is Kari Masoner and I live in Brighton, CO. I've had miniatures (2 geldings) since June 07, but just this past year bought my first filly, a colt, and two stallions (I'm stallion poor!). I am also leasing 4 mares.

I have a roommate (Toni Wilson) that is sorta my business partner (in crime <g>). She just bought a yearling filly (which is the major subject of this e-mail) and a stallion. My daughter and her boyfriend also live with us.

I showed the geldings the first year I got them in a 'fun' show, but that's the extent of my showing experience. Toni has shown western pleasure and halter in QH/Paint shows.

We plan on showing two stallions and one of the fillies this year.

I've read a fair bit about conditioning adult miniatures, whether you round pen, free lunge, or drive them etc. But, I've read that you're not supposed to round pen or lunge yearlings as their bones haven't fully developed and you can put too much strain/stress on them.

So, how do the yearlings get conditioned for show? I've seen them in shows so obviously they're being conditioned in some fashion... So, any thoughts?

Thank you for your help in advance..

Kari

Plenty of good feed, and daily turnout are all my yearling colt need.

I have round penned the two year old lightly, and I did "whirl" the yearling round the bigger pen when he was in the mood to do it anyway, ie no stress, just so I could get a loose "Whoa" but beyond that I leave my colts to grow up before I try to do any serious work with them.

Also, I get them out in the paddock (2 acres) at least once a week, and always after a show, together, and let them run, kick, buck and play.

They are like kids in school, they need loads of down time.

Although my colts have to learn to be polite with females they do not get to run out with any, though.

As Jane says, good quality food and loads of playtime out with other youngsters (preferably yearlings with yearlings, etc. colts and fillies seperately). You can also go 'walkies' with your youngsters and get them familiar with day to day things that they will be seeing for the rest of their lives - traffic (where it is safe to do so), children playing, dogs etc.

I'm sure you will soon have a lot of helpful replies from folk here.

Anna

Hi and thanks for the replies... I figured it would be best to just let them be 'children' for a while. We have two yearling fillies and a yearling colt. I ran my yearling colt with the mares for a while so they could teach him manners... I've also run him with the two stallions who also teach him manners... It's so cute when he does that little mouth thing... please don't hurt me... I a baby...

He's still pretty spooky so I need to do a lot of handling and teaching him to respect his 'lead/boss/alpha mare.' Moi!

I am not a fan of putting a young colt out with mares.

A) they could kill him (!)

B) they could get pregnant

C) they could just all run away form him and teach him to be a right royal pain in the posterior
default_rolleyes.gif

Also, at this time of year, stallions and colts .....um.....no??

Please!

My very polite stallion, who will run with anything I ask him to all winter will, without a doubt, kill a yearling put in with him at the moment and from now on till the hormones subside in Sept- October. So, please, be careful and make sure all playtime is supervised!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your new additions! I just wanted to add that when dealing with youngsters, besides the good food and plenty of play time the other 2 things you will need to include are regular, thorough grooming and(very important if you want to avoid a big belly) stringent attention to the control of internal parasites. Good luck and have fun.
default_smile.png

I have and wouldn't think anything of lunging or round pen training a yearling. It won't hurt them at all.

Latest posts

Back