Comfy Fit Harness & Myler Bits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a nice piture, Jules.

How do you like it? Is it a A or B size harness? Are the hames adjustable both in the upper end and at the bottom? what size are the collars and hams?

Questionsm questions, questions ;-)

But since I live in Sweden it's a bit hard for me to have anthing replaced if it should be the wroong size.

So I want to know as much as possible before ordering.

Sweden is a long ways away!

I feel the same way, I really want to get a harness that is right for my little guy so I am giving this a lot of thought and I am here in the US.

I've enjoyed learning about the bits and comfy harness from this set of conversations. One of my driving minis has been in a plain slender snaffle, but no longer seems comfortable in it. When it warms up a bit, I would like the vet to check and float her teeth as needed, but afterwards I wonder if a different bit may be in order? Do you have any advice? Could the snaffle be too 'thin' therefore more severe than I realized?

Thank you for any help!

Ah yes, Sweden is a bit far away so I understand you wanting to get it right. I am in Australia so was much the same myself when ordering from the US. The good news is that Janie from Chimacum rocks when it comes to customer service
default_smile.png
So even if you need to fiddle around with the harness, it is easy enough done and she seems to get good rates on the international shipping.

My harness is B-size, but with a few 'custom ordered' changes. For instance, the hip straps on my mares harness are C-size, as are the nosebands on both bridles. The holdback straps are also C-size...although in this picture they are B-size and a bit short, hence the chainlinks under the ponies bellies as an extender, if you are able to see?

My mini's are very much ponies, rather than the finer typed mini horses seen so much in the US. My mare is a Shetland (traditional Euro sort- very Thelwell!) is 9hh and wears a 14" collar. The gelding is 8.2hh and wears a 13". They seem like 'big' sizes, but as I said my guys are pony type with chunky necks and neither will fit the next size down from the collars they are wearing.

The hames do have a strap top and bottom, I only ever use the top one though.

I have been very surprised with how much better the ponies go in neck collars, such a difference!

Thanks for all your information, Jules. I realy appreciate it.

I'm feeling much more confident ordering my new harness now.

Did you use breast collars before you got your neck collars?

I did use breast collars, I had the deluxe comfyfit/freedom collar, I think that collar is so well designed for the little guys whose necks tie in low, but I still have ended up preferring the neck collars....or should I say...my ponies have let me know they prefer them! lol

Just to give another perspective, I have found that some minis are hard to fit properly with the "neck collar", the draft type collar and a poorly fitting collar is very uncomfortable for the horse. Different things work well on different horses but in general I think the breast strap type harness is more flexible to different conformations and the shaped breast straps would be even better.

Thansk Jules and Reignmaker,

The horses I'm buying the harness for are on the "chunky" side so the collar and hames will probably fit them.

I might even get both collar and hames and somfy fit collars. That way I ca use the on the more refined ones too ;-)

Thanks for all your help

If you are looking to use the collar on more then one body type, I'd recommend the Euro collar. It is adjustable up and down in size and I have found that the collar that measures 13" on the centre hole works for every minis I have from 31-40 inches tall, from fine to thick necks.

Thanks for the info Happy Appy,

I have been looking into the euro collar as well, but I have to admit I like the collar and hames better.

let me know which way you decide and be sure to post lots of gorgeous Swedish pony pictures!

I've enjoyed learning about the bits and comfy harness from this set of conversations. One of my driving minis has been in a plain slender snaffle, but no longer seems comfortable in it. When it warms up a bit, I would like the vet to check and float her teeth as needed, but afterwards I wonder if a different bit may be in order? Do you have any advice? Could the snaffle be too 'thin' therefore more severe than I realized?

Thank you for any help!
I've found that many of the mini sized bits are actually "thicker" in diameter and have made a point of replacing them with "thinner" ones. Before you replace yours with a thicker mouthpiece, try wrapping it in the bit wrap or latex "tape". Then, too, you might find they do better with a 3 way jointed bit (see below).

I also like the dog bone or french link copper mouth pieces - Marsha pictured one like I have several of earlier.

I have borrowed a couple of different Myler bits to try on our more experienced driving ponies (not necessarily finished) - none of the three liked them, so I will personally stick to the much less expensive ones. If you have the chance, borrow bits before you purchase them. I've now turned into a bit collector!! Love pony and mini sized bits - just to look at hanging in my barn or on my kitchen walls (hubby and kids hate that)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think bits and bridles etc make great wall decor!

Hi all, haven't been on here much...but I must add my two cents in...I drive with a pairs comfy fit harness in full collar and hames as well as the Kelly Comfort Snaffle type of bits and love both pieces of equipment! I have a attached a picture of them "in action" last summer at a driving camp
default_smile.png
My horses are 36.5 and 37.5" and they really work well in the comfy fit harness, they wear a size 13" collar as a size reference.

IMG_5929 copy.jpg

I have not used a Myler driving bit, but I use Myler snaffles on all my barrel horss. IMO, they are well worth the money. Every horse I've ever put my Myler comfort snaffle on loves it.

My pony LOVES his Myler comfort snaffle. Huge difference.

Latest posts

Back