Comfy Fit Harness & Myler Bits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Comfy Fit Harness? I'm very interested in it and I love the look of it.

Link: (sorry this link not allowed.....it is a link directly to a Miniature Horse tack site that does not advertise with LB. You may put the name of the store just not an active link)

Also, what do you think of Myler bits? Are they worth the price? I'm thinking about the EPB 01 Myler Comfort Snaffle. It says it is a Level 1 bit and is good for horses beginning training

Link: http://www.horsecarts.com/myler.htm

I am realizing now that I would way rather buy the best i can afford now, rather than buying cheap and wanting something better down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE LOVE LOVE my comfyfit harnesses
default_smile.png
:)

I have several Comfy-fit harnesses. Four in hand, pair and 2 singles (that's 8 harnesses). They are as good as you can get. All have either the Myler or the Kelly bit. The EPB-1 is an excellent bit. The Kelly is almost the same as the Myler but is a bit heavier and has a thicker port. Some of my horses don't like the thicker port so I use the Myler. At $30 for the Kelly and $150 for the Myler it's your choice.

I have the Myler bit and it is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. I used it to start 3 horses and they all did well with it. My older driving gelding, that uses the miniexpress french link, did not care for it, so he stays with what he likes. The Myler I have is too large for the little mare I got recently and she is fine with the french link so I did not invest in another Myler for her (she is 20). With the Myler, there is no place to attach the over/side check appropriately. If you plan to use the Myler for showing, you might consider this.

The Myler is so beautiful, it is personally gratifying to drive with it. I wish my Dapper Dan liked it, but he prefers the simple french link.

I think it's great that you are looking into good bits! I knew nothing when I started and used the horrible snaffle that came with my driving bridle for several years--until I was reeducated by Forum members here.

I do not know about the comfy fit harness, but I have the Camptown breast collar and really like it! I think it depends on what you plan to do with your driving horse. If you are going to show in breed classes, there might be other choices. The harnesses made for actual working horses do not show well in a driving class, IMO. I've never seen a Grand Champion harnessed in one.

Marsha is right--if you ever want to show, unless you plan to buy a separate show harness, then the Comfy-Fit type harness isn't the best choice. It really is not a show harness.

I would choose Camptown over Comfy Fit in spite if the fact that Camptown is a bit more money--for one very specific reason.

I would choose Camptown over Comfy Fit in spite if the fact that Camptown is a bit more money--for one very specific reason.
Curious ... what is the reason? I have a Camptown and would definitely purchase a Comfy Fit instead in the future. In fact, I've been seriously considering selling the Camptown and doing just that - it's just a little too bulky for my A-sized horses. Am I missing something important? ;)

Also, I would not hesitate to show in the Comfy Fit, and I was a show ring person first. Not in roadster or single pleasure, but I feel it's appropriate for country or classic pleasure. I've shown in a Deep Vee collar and breeching and do not feel it had any effect on my placing. If you're showing at Worlds, then you might want to get a show harness, but certainly don't feel that you can't participate and be competitive at a local show with a Comfy Fit harness.

I bought a Myler bit once, but sold it again. I tried it on three horses, one hated it and the other two went no different than they did in the $28 mullen. Not worth the cost for me, but many, many people swear by them.

Thanks everyone!

I don't plan on showing, just recreational pleasure driving. I'm glad there are so many good reviews on the Comfy Fit harness, that might be the one. Minimor, I am also curious as to the reason for choosing the Camptown over the Comfy Fit. I thought they were almost identical, just that the Comfy Fit is $150 cheaper. That's a Myler bit right there!

Thanks for the information on Myler bits as well. I don't see myself ever using an overcheck/side-check as I won't be showing and don't see the need for just recreational driving, so no problem there. I'm curious as to which model/type Myler everyone uses. Are the Comfort Snaffle's the best choice for horses just starting out?

Also, are the Myler bits returnable if they don't work well for your horse? And how do you properly measure for a bit?

I own 1 x Camptown a 2x Comfyfit harnesses and personally would choose Chimacum Comfyfit hands down. Actually, a lot of parts on my Camptown harness are now actually from Comfyfit anyway
default_smile.png
The Comfyfit bridle fits my ponies in a much better/more complimentary way, so I never use the original bridle that came with my Camptown harness. I found the customer service when buying from Chimacum of a fabulously high standard, which is why I didn't even consider buying my pairs harness from anywhere else. I guess it is all just personal preference and individual fitting requirements though.

I also, like Kendra, think that the Comfyfit can cut it in the show ring, add a bit of patent here and there and I think it is quite a handsome harness. It is all I use as I wouldn't want to compromise comfort for my horse for 'style' of a show harness. I have attached pic of me using my Camptown/Comfyfit (it started as a Camptown but has equal Comfyfit components now) harness in the ring.

Again though, it all comes down to personal preferences, so see if you are able to look over some harnesses or ask some vendors some questions and see where you end up. Choosing a harness is exciting!

574584_10151935448342459_1611025484_n1.jpg

The Myler bit I got is EPB-04 Comfort Snaffle, 3 1/2". It was $153.80, including shipping, from Estate Horse Supply. I was told it was the ideal beginner bit by Mr Myler. It fits my 32" gelding fine, and also the three 35" horses I used it on. It is too large for my 32" mare, so I had to order a 3 1/4" french link from Miniexpress for her. I did not choose to invest in a another Myler for her, since she is fine with the french link. The copper french link bits only last a few years, as the copper gets worn. But for starting out, I think it is a good bit.

The Myler bit is much heavier than the french link.

Do not know from experience, but I had heard the Kelly bits might have burrs at the edges of the bit, or might pinch. That is why I decided to invest in the Myler.

Do not know what their return policy is. But whatever company you choose, they will help advise you how to measure for a bit. I think 3 1/2" is pretty standard for A horses.

Good luck in the Bit and Harness Maze!

I like the comfy fit but went with the Euro collar instead of the standard. My horses really like it better for pleasure driving. I also went with the Kelly bits. I like the half check double jointed roller mouth bit.

sugar bit.jpg

Intrepid%20roller%20mouth.jpg

Always good to have pictures! Here is my Myler. There was discussion a few years ago about where to attach the check, so it has some text on the picture.

bitwithtext.jpgfrenchlinkbit.jpgAnd also my french link bit.

Thank you Marsha and happy appy!

I'll ask the Estate Horse Supply people which bit would be best. I'll probably go with either the EPB 01 or the EPB 04.

I measured him for a bit using both a pencil and rope, and he wasn't too fond of it so I got different measurements. They averaged around 4". Does that seem right? He is a "B" mini, somewhere around 36"-38".

A question for the Comfy Fit harness users: Do you send your horses measurements in, or is it a fixed size? If it is a fixed size, would it fit a "B" mini? He's not a refined type, more medium build. If it's by measurements, what should I measure for?

Went with the comfy fit. you can email them and they have a pic of where to get measurements then they fit the pieces to my mini. great to work with.

It is strictly a matter of principle why I would not buy the Comfy-Fit harness.

Perhaps most people do not care, but I do.

Thanks everyone!

I talked to the trainer today, and she said she can't do lessons until May, so I have a while to decide. I'm really excited and she says that she'll start with me just learning to harness and then learn to drive with her experienced horses. Once I've learned all of that, I can then start to work with Breaker. I like how she's going to start with the very basics, as that's what I need. I'm sure when the time comes she will suggest the best equipment for Breaker once she gets to work with him. I can't wait!
default_biggrin.png

I have 3 Comfy Fit harnesses and plan on getting two more but will be getting the euro collars instead of the breast collars despite I think they aren't worth what they are priced at but I do like them. I use this harness when I show in my chariot and recreation use and also my training harness as well. Won't go back to the regular harnesses.

1499662_10201118940363663_1892258233_n.jpg

Does anyone have/use a Comfy Fit Harness with collar and hames?

I’m looking into buying those for my mini A pair.

Ay information would be helpful.

999834_476418212443229_1924188013_n.jpg

a quick pic of my pair with Chimacum Collar and Hames harness
default_smile.png
They are 34"and 36.5 "

IMAG6769.jpg

Latest posts

Back