Harness fitting/carriage balance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Poole

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to this Forum :)
I live in Spain and have a mini Shetland who I broke to drive last year because he was no good for the kiddies lessons.

We both absolutely love it. My farrier has minis who he drives so I bought my cart off him and he had it on a smaller mini.

There is something off about the balance but I'm not sure how to correct it.
I thought possibly bigger wheels would help as it tips back slightly so the shafts lift up in the tugs almost like it will tip backwards.

Also my harness saddle doesn't sit off his back with a gap it rests on his back. Is this an issue?
It's just a reasonably cheap starter harness as I wasn't sure he would take to it.

Once I can afford to I will upgrade but for now I want to make him as comfy as possible.

I've added some pics although they aren't the best. I hope one of you lovely people can offer some advice :)

Thank you

Sorry here are the photos

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1549390706212.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549390706212.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 33
  • FB_IMG_1549390638421.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549390638421.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1549390537006.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549390537006.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi Sarah, welcome!
What happens if you lower the shaft carriers/tugs down one hole? Does that help?

Your mini is cute, what is his name?

Hey.

Thank you for your reply. The tugs are on the lowest hole. They can't go any lower

Would be bending the shafts help the issue?

Bent something like this carriage pictured below?

Thank you. His name is Apache :)

Attachments

• DSC00977.JPG
    DSC00977.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 10
Larger wheels was my initial thought but they are so very expensive and hard to get here. I may as well buy a new carriage... :(

Your mini is so cute and looks like he enjoys driving!

I suggest that you don't bend the shafts as that will cause a weak spot in the shaft where you bent them. If I were you I would go ahead and upgrade your harness now. Having more holes in your shaft loops will really help you balance your cart, as I think, if you lowered them one or two holes your problem would be solved!

It sounds like you have a gig style saddle, or a treeless saddle. They are usually fine for the type of work our minis do. Some people do prefer a treed saddle but that is based on person and horse. I highly recommend using a nice thick pad under either type of saddle.

There are places where you can buy parts of a harness and start replacing one piece at a time :) Chimacum Tack here in the US sells harness parts for a reasonable price. And they ship world wide!

Thank you for your reply :)

He is a fantastic pony and he really loves it. These photos were taking after 4 months off and he just restarted perfectly.

If I bought a newer harness how could I guarantee the tugs would be lower as I never seem to see measurements for parts like that and also wouldn't they be too low on his body?

If I don't bend the shafts but put slightly larger wheels on. Will that help?

Appreciate everyone's replies thank you

Ps. I do normally use a pad under the saddle but someone has moved it so I couldn't find it. I will look at that tack shop thank you

It’s so hard to tell from a photo. But this is what I’m thinking. Can you shorten your traces a bit more? In the first photo (moving) the tugs are pulling backwards, they should fall straight down. In the second and third photos, the tugs are straight but the traces are loose. Just a little shorter may help. Also, I would put a pad on the breastcollar. It’s seems thin and after some driving may cause soreness. Your horse looks like he is enjoying himself, and you are right to try and make him more comfy. He is very cute!

You can ask for the measurement of the strap that the shaft loops buckle onto. And that strap can be made different lengths, when you order from Chimacum Tack. As for the loop being too low only you will know that. You will want very little weight at the ends of the shafts when they are lowered. I think with your seat so far back you won't have a problem with that, but test it out! Have someone hold the ends of the shafts where they attach now, to see how much weight there is in them, then lower the shafts to where they will be more level and make sure there isn't too much weight (as in more than 5 pounds) in those shaft ends. You will need to have someone close to your size sit in the cart so you can be as accurate as possible.

I'm afraid that putting on bigger wheels will make you sit far too high, you are already sitting as high as I would like. The wheel base is a bit narrow on your vehicle so adding more height to it will just put it off balance when you are cornering, making it easier to tip over. I hope that makes sense!

Yes my traces are too long. I've made additional holes so I can make more and try it shorter.
Sadly the breast collar traces don't unbuckle or I'd buy shorter traces.

I was looking into buying a new breast collar and I did contemplate an actual collar for him too.
I'm in the process of buying/making pads to make him comfier so glad someone else suggested that :)
(It's quite a narrow breastplate but looks super thin in these photos as he's so fluffy and its hidden a bit)

Thank you Mindy
I'm quite new to driving although I drove in England also but there is very limited equipment for mini driving in Spain.
Loads for bigger horses but even to get this carriage was hard.

I cannot afford to buy a whole new harness right this moment but as soon I can I will.
So you think my best bet is to buy a new saddle with longer tugs?
Does it matter how far down his side's the tugs come?

I shall get better specific photos for you all on Sunday which may show better

Thankyou!

Would a neck collar be better for him or its not ideal for a mini.

I did some research on breastplate or neck collar but there seems to be mixed views.
My pony doesn't have much distance between his throat and chest so I find placement of the breastplate hard

I'm in the process of buying/making pads to make him comfier so glad someone else suggested that :)
(It's quite a narrow breastplate but looks super thin in these photos as he's so fluffy and its hidden a bit)

I think we can all relate to the fluffy!

Here is another blog post about line of draft. That is what will dictate what style of collar he will need.
https://theessentialhorse.com/2018/11/14/collars-line-of-draft-balance-of-draft/

A well fitted neck collar is great if you can get one there and you have a low line of draft. If your line of draft is more level, straight, then you will be better off sticking to a breast collar. I do love the Deep V style breast collars for the minis to help free up the shoulder and allow more clearance for their windpipe :)

Ha ha he is superfluffy.
He was clipped last year because I was working him a lot more and it's quite hot even now for this amount of fluff

But who doesn't love a fluffy pony

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_203234_408.jpg
    IMG_20190206_203234_408.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
Yes I've just been looking at those v collars and they look fab.

Shipping to Spain is an issue and very expensive from America which is really fustrating because you have the best mini tack.

My carriage actually has the fixed hooks which I believe you should only hook the traces too if they are in a neck collar?
Which is why I thought a neck collar would be easier around and a possible better fit.

But for now my hubby has made a swingletree for the carriage so he can be comfy in a breast plate

Thanks again for the articles

Would a neck collar be better for him or its not ideal for a mini.

I did some research on breastplate or neck collar but there seems to be mixed views.
My pony doesn't have much distance between his throat and chest so I find placement of the breastplate hard

I would not get a full collar. The line of draft on your cart is pretty much straight back, even with the shafts, so a breastcollar is more suitable. And full collars are much harder to fit, in my experience. My boys both wear a deep V collar, which gives them more windpipe room and also more shoulder clearance. Im sure Mindy has one available at Chimacum. A little pricey, but soooo worth it, IMO.

Attachments

• 68B537C8-F7B9-44F3-9650-057E7218A1F7.jpeg
    68B537C8-F7B9-44F3-9650-057E7218A1F7.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 7
Back