I need help choosing a driving bit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytori220

Reaction score
I have a 19 year old well trained driving pony. I'm in need of choosing a new bit for him. The bit I have came with his harness used and is pretty old and is getting rusty. It's just a plain half cheek snaffle. He does pretty well in it but I was wanting to try something else. When I had riding horses I bought an awesome Myler low port comfort snaffle bit...which I swear by and loved. And I would buy another one for driving but I just don't want to fork out $150 bucks for it. So anyway....I've seen the knock offs which I was told to stay away from. But I do like the look of the knock off Kelly bits like the myler. I've seen the French links which I've read that people liked. I'm not sure if I should go with a bit with shanks like the butterfly or liverpool. Definitely want something with copper but not a full copper mouth. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I drive pretty much all my horses in a half cheek mullen. I've tried a Mullen - used it on 3 horses, two didn't drive any different than they did in the $15 mullen, and the third (who I bought it for) hated it, so I sold it. There's so little room in a Miniature Horse mouth, I think the less going on with the bit, the better. I do start them in a french link, but they graduate to the mullen as soon as they're ready for a more consistent contact.

Oh crap - can't edit my post anymore? Of course, that was supposed to be "I've tried a MYLER" of course.

I hate typos ...

I agree with Kendra. I have tried different bits and the one that seems to accepted/liked by the majority (not all by any means but most) of the horses I've driven is the mullen mouth half cheek snaffle. I have quite a few different bits (some quite expensive) that just hang on hooks in my tack room. I keep them because you just never know when a horse will prefer one of them but I can't seem to keep enough of the mullens around.

If you just want to buy an expensive bit I would recommend the Myler EPB-1 or EPB-4. Otherwise stick with the $20 half cheek snaffel. In a seminar with the big guys the new popular bit is a mullen with an upward curved port. Never seen one for mini's though.

I have several of the Kelly's and they are OK but they are heavier and thicker than the Mylers.

My driving horse does not like the Myler Comfort Snaffle. He is very happy with his Mini Express copper link french link. I bought the Myler for a little larger horse--same mouth size but a bigger horse. He like the Myler, but my present horse does not. I have kept it, however, as I might get another horse that prefers it. The Myler is a beautiful bit; it makes ME feel good to use it!

Ok...so I went ahead and bought a half cheek french link with copper link from mini express. Ive bought some stuff from her and have always been happy. I figured I would try that first. I was trying to stay away from a mullen mouth. Just dont think I would like how it would feel for me and him. Since its ine solid peice I was thinking that it would feel like im pulling on a block of wood with no give. After reading posts and articles I think ill go with the french link.

Tell us how he likes it.

The mini I now drive, Teddy, was used to a mullen mouth wrapped with latex bit wrap. I tried a French link, also wrapped, and he didn't really care for it, so back to the mullen I went. You could try the latex wrap to give some feel, but it does slime up the bit and I can't get it off well without pulling all of the plating off.

There's something to be said for using what the horse is comfortable with....

I agree with goldlilcks - people get so worked up about what's in a horses mouth that they forget the hands behind it are more important. Don't fix what's not broke.

Latest posts

Back