Colour Genetics...the science

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckles

Reaction score
Hi all, i am a bit of a colour nut when it comes to miniatures, and love to work out what possiblities you can get from different breeding combinations. I was really looking forward to one of the foals on our farm being born. Mum is a palomino with no white at all. Dad is a buckskin minimal pinto with a small amount of white on three legs and a tiny arrow head shape on his rump. So far, Dad has produced a bay, a medicine hat buckskin, and a palomino pinto. Now a palomino and a buckskin, i thought, yes, i might get a dilute. What did i get? A chestnut pinto! Now I know that is possible but just not what i expected. In saying that, he is stunning (IMHO), and has gorgeous blue eyes. He is not mine alas, but have first option on him. He is slightly prem and down on his pasterns, but given time, he should be a stunner. Am going to repeat the mating next year and will eagerly await the results. I apologise for the picture, it is a bit dark but he is a bright red chestnut.

30982577_full.jpg

Sandra Spekreijse

Serentiy Park miniatures

New Zealand

Fun isn't it??

I bred two Blacks and got a Chestnut.

I bred the same mare to a Silver Black and I STILL got a Chestnut.

That's the way it goes!!

"Fun isn't it??

I bred two Blacks and got a Chestnut."

Me too! In fact multiple times I have bred 2 blacks and gotten reds. If u based color genetics on my own results Red would be considered the dominant color, LOL.

yes, i am a color freak too! i absolutely looooooooove it!!!

i spend many hours a day racking my brain by pondering the many many possibilities of which color baby i will get. i have a mare due july '07, and there's so many things that baby could be.

she is a buckskin pinto. bred to....some red-lookin horse (he's registered as sorrel, i was told he is red dun, he has silver streaks in his tail, and appears more liver chestnut. maybe some sort of silver bay. go figure! lol.)

the mare's past babies have been a black pinto (guess she's not homozygous for agouti) a chestnut pinto (not homozygous for black either), and a solid palomino (not even homozygous for tobiano). the sire to all three is a chestnut.

oh the possibilities....

YAY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNN!!! :aktion033: i totally love this stuff.

and that's one adorable colt!
default_wub.png
: so pretty

I am a color fanatic too.....and have been testing my herd for various color traits lately.

Here is a website you should all enjoy!!! If you don't already know about it, Animal Genetics has a color calculator that is really cool! It doesn't have silver on it, but maybe soon they will add that option....

Equine Genetics Offspring Color Calculator

Enjoy!

I bred a black and white stallion to a near lepold appy mare and got a near lepold appy filly. Rebred the same two and this time I got a solid black filly. You never no.

KenBen

The mystery behind colour genetics with miniatures!!!!!!!!!!! I have a grey mare that had a grey filly 2 years ago. Now - I bred her to the same stallion who is solid black with white socks. This stallion has produced pintos in the past - so obviously carries that gene. However, I was totally shocked when our mare foaled a sorrel and white (loudly marked) pinto. I was not expecting that at all!!!! So I understand your surprise with your little guy - who is beautfiul by the way.

Many of you have already seen this color example, but for the "newbies" I will post it again. These are FULL BROTHERS and SISTERS.

Sire: Blue Roan Pintaloosa

Dam: Silver Bay

rithaxenonfoals.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back