Colour prediction please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
I have a beautiful little bay mare who I purchased in foal to a golden palomino (with a black sire and palomino dam).

Three previous foals to this same stallion were all palomino (alas pale not golden like dad). Her last foal appears to be a black buckskin(?) but won't be sure until she loses her baby fur coat.

Mum is due in about a month and just for interest sake I'd like to know the odds of bay, palomino, black (like grandpa), buckskin or whatever. The mares parents were bay and chestnut.

Really looking forward to your replies.

I'll try to post a photo........just because she is so darn cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the black genes scattered in there, the possibility of buckskin is right up there, IMO.

But it's also a "crap-shoot" at this point.
default_smile.png

Not sure if you have ever seen the coat color calculator online - but it is helpful (and addicting to look at odds of what coat you might get). Without plugging further details for agouti/silver dilution/ red factor for the sire and dam - I got the following results. If you know these details for the sire and dam you can get more exact results. Here is the link: http://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine/CCalculator1.asp Hope this helps
default_smile.png

Offspring Color Probability

32.81% -​
Bay
32.81% -​
Buckskin
12.50% -​
Palomino
12.50% -​
Red (Chestnut/Sorrel)
4.69% -​
Smoky Black
4.69% -​
Black

Well, I bred my cremello mare to my black bay stallion, expected to get a buckskin foal. This is what I got...
Bonny and Foal - july 12, 2012 - 1.jpg

Here's a bit better picture of his color:
Manny - july 28, 2012 - very cute.jpg

Now, I know my mare carries silver (her dam was silver smokey black, but until this foal was born, I didn't know Bonny carried the silver).

Looking at the calculations before knowing the mare has silver, there is about a 50% chance this cross would give me buckskin.
Now that I know she carries silver, her chance of throwing buckskin drops to about 29%. Her chance of throwing the silver smoky black she had is less than 10%.

Latest posts

Back