Color Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windstorm Minis

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE] Ok, here's the deal....and I know I probably won't know for sure without color testing...but would like your thoughts/opinions.....

I have a mare that is reg. as a dun - but - she has a flaxen mane and tail, dorsal stripe and leg barring. In the winter she is a cream color and summer is like a silver/grey color.....some have called her a dunalino, but I'm not sure she fits that.

Sire is reg. as a cremello - but - his sire is reg. as a dapple grey and dam as a solid grey - so don't see how sire can be a cremello??

Dam is reg. as a grulla - her sire is a black pinto and dam is a palomino pinto.

What color do you think this mare really may be and could she be considered a dilute??

Who do you use for color genetics and what is it I would need/ask for and how long does it usually take to get

the results?

Thanks in advance for any help and input.

LisaZ

Obviously the colors from the sire's side are wrong......The two grays would never ever make a cremello, as you said.

A Grulla is also considered a "black dun", which is what the dam would be. Your sire's side is very likely carrying the silver gene....from your description.

So.....YOUR little one could be a Silver Dun!

I am not an expert on the details of color genetic markers, so maybe someone else who IS will post too!

MA

Several factors are involved here and I'm not sure I can address them all. First of all, almost everyone knows that many registered colors are genetically inaccurate. Your mare obviously has the Dun factor by having the dorsal stripe, leg barring, etc.

Her sire registered as a Cremello by a Dapple Gray sire and out of a Solid Gray mare??? Possible if both were heterozygous Black/Red and both also had a Cream gene.

At least one of the parents (and probably both) are actually Silver rather than Gray. That gives a good chance of your mare carrying the Silver gene (which would account for the light/Flaxen mane and tail). This can also account for the cream color in winter and Silver/Gray in the summer.

I would say the possibilities for your mare are: Silver Grulla/Dun, Silver Dunskin, or Dunalino.

Regarding genetic tests, you can test for the Cream gene but there is no test for Dun or Silver that I am aware of.

Hope that helps.

Assume for Dapple Grey that the horse is Silver Black!!

Foal could easily be Perlino from two black based, Cream horses.

We now have a Smoky Cream Silver Black, DD.

Crossed onto a Grulla who has a Red/Cream based parent.

Since Red hides behind Black, and Cream does not show on Black, this (Smoky)Grulla woud appear as a Grulla but be capable of, potentially throwing not only a Cream based foal but also a Red based one.

Assume "palomino" is Dunalino, thus the Dun.

Know alsdo that Silver throws a false Dorsal so the Dun bit may simply be misidentifiaction.

OK, where was I?????

Basically we need pictures but she can easily be a Smoky Silver Black Dun
default_yes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Assume for Dapple Grey that the horse is Silver Black!!

Foal could easily be Perlino from two black based, Cream horses.

We now have a Smoky Cream Silver Black, DD.

Crossed onto a Grulla who has a Red/Cream based parent.

Since Red hides behind Black, and Cream does not show on Black, this (Smoky)Grulla woud appear as a Grulla but be capable of, potentially throwing not only a Cream based foal but also a Red based one.

Assume "palomino" is Dunalino, thus the Dun.

Know alsdo that Silver throws a false Dorsal so the Dun bit may simply be misidentifiaction.

OK, where was I?????

Basically we need pictures but she can easily be a Smoky Silver Black Dun
default_yes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with Rabbit.
default_yes.gif
:

Something else that people seem to always forget...."gray" (true fading gray, that is) is not a COLOR. It is mearly a modifier that adds more & more white hairs to the horses original color each year until they go white. So the two "gray" parents of the cremello....could have been palomino, cremello, perlino, buckskin, smokey blacks (any creme carriers) that faded to "gray". Most of these horses that show they are going to gray out early, ARE registered as simply "gray", instead of their base color. So if both parents carried the creme gene (even tho they are registered as grays) ...then of course, your mare's sire could very well be a cremello.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back