Color help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows_Gold

Reaction score
We have no idea which one he is! lol. His name is Bo. Mom is a bay roan with two blue eyes and dad is a buckskin with chocolate points.

his is the sire......

dusty005.jpg

This is him unclipped....

ty002.jpg

ty001.jpg

ty021.jpg

And this is him clipped....... mostly lol

horsepoll007.jpg

him and mom....

horsepoll013.jpg

horsepoll002.jpg

horsepoll016.jpg

horsepoll017.jpg

He does have dark stalkings under his light hair. And on his right side both front foot and back foot have socks. He does not appear to have a dorsal stripe. His tail has red, black, and white in it. His mane is black as can be! I hope that helps!!

Not buckskin....... Probably bay with Sabino to explain his beautiful facial marking.

Congratulations!

MA

I agree.....the colt is Bay. And his dam is actually a Bay who is "graying".
default_yes.gif
: Many Gray horses who are in various stages of "graying" will look like "Roans". But, a true Roan will keep the dark head. This horse's head is just as grayed as her body.

Thanx for all the help. I never thought of the graying. I don't know if this matters or not but I'm sayin' it anyway. The mom has always been this color, she has a bald face, and as time goes on the bay stays more and more on her (on the other side). She is 3 years old. Its both of the parents 1st baby, so we didn't know what to expect!!

Well, you know it IS possible for this mare to be a Bay Roan & also carry the gray gene.
default_yes.gif
: She could have started out Bay Roan & has grayed, making her head be just as gray as her body.
default_yes.gif
:

Oh ok! Soory I'm not really familiar with the "graying". I've heard f it before but not thought about it. Could the colt carry this? He does have a few white hairs on his body just before his mane ends. I looked over him and except his blaze and his socks there is nothing like that anywhere else on him. Hes not pinto cuz is only 4 or 5 hairs. Its really strange. And I didn't se them when he was born. He is about 2 months old.

The colt appears to be straight Bay. I see no signs of Silver or Gray...or roan.

If he were roan....he would have either shed off his baby hair to look roan, or look that way upon first clipping.

Now grays can gray out at different rates....but most usually show "some sign" of carrying the gray gene early on by white hairs coming in on the face (usually around the eyes first) creating a "goggle" appearance.

Silver Bays are usually born with their black manes & tails looking "smokey"....caused by the silvery hairs coming in & intermixing with the black hairs.

Also, your colt may not have typical pinto spots....but he is indeed, carrying pinto genes. Just the fact that he has facial white & white socks means that he is carrying pinto genes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back