CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sending you a giant HUG. You've lived through a breeder's total nightmare and you brought Summer through it all.

Brilliant new about Summer!

Good luck with those next two exams.
default_yes.gif

I am so happy for you both Lexi! Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking story, I know I not only shed tears and thanked the heavens for my sweet baby, but I learned so much. And yes, we want pictures when your testing is over and you are rested, and of course how you did on your exams lol. I too couldn't believe your vet didn't flush Summer right away, but sounds like all is being done with lots of care now. We are so lucky to have the aunties aren't we? I just today had a lady I hadn't heard from much in the 3 years since she helped me with Jewel's birth, ask me on facerbook if I still had her foaling notes lol! She was assisting a lady in another state with a horse with rare bloodlines ready to foal, and though very experienced she didn't have her laptop with the foaling notes. I was thrilled I could actually help someone else and her of all people lol! It just goes to show that we all need help now and then and you did a fine job for your Summer.

Wonderful, wonderful news Lexi!!!!! So glad Summer is doing better and happy again! Hope you both get rested. You and Summer are both awesome, and you take great care of your minis! Can't wait to see pics of Summer when you get time, and you can sneek some in of Dove too! She and Summer are just beautiful!!!

Lexi -- no fever is such FABULOUS NEWS about Summer!!! Just shedding more happy tears that all is going so well for her and you.

Praying you will fly through those exams, get some good rest, and share some new pictures of this precious girl with us!!!

Sending prayers for your exams Lexi
default_pray.gif
Give a big hug to Summer from me
default_yes.gif

How did the exams go Lexi - hopefully you managed to sail through them and the results will be what you were aiming for.
default_yes.gif

Still saying prayers for Summer, perhaps you can give us an update over the weekend please.

Hey Lexi, How'd you do on your exams? Aced them Im sure. I hope this weekend will bring you some quiet, quality and even restful time with Summer while she is healing. (((hugs))

Looking forward to hearing how things are going for you Lexi, and how Summer is doing. Even a picture would be great of that pretty little girl!

Hi Everyone!!

Exams were alright, very confident with how I did on 2 of them but I know I didnt do perfectly on one. I am still wiped out from everything and I have actually been falling asleep dressed. I know I am tired when I fall asleep before 9 at night LOL. Believe it or not I feel more tired now than I did when I got one hour of sleep watching Summer all night/day. Everything is just finally catching up to me though. My mom and I stayed at the barn for over a month, every single night.

Summer is doing better!!! She had her last uterus flush yesterday, and no more penicillin or gentamicin. She is on tribrissen now twice a day but much easier to give. She is such a superstar!! I only got 2 pics of her on my cell phone but will bring me camera today. I have loads of time now that I am on my summer break
default_smile.png

I have brand new photos of Dove as well. I am praying she is not bred, because she is much smaller than Summer and I dont think she could handle being bred to anything large. She will have the same watchful eyes and care Summer received, but I much prefer her not bred. If she were ever to be a mommy I would like to have the upper hand and choose a small stallion and know breeding dates etc. But you now all know me pretty well... I always end up with the short end of every stick. So we will all just have to really hope for the best.

The first photos of Dove are from a week or 2 ago, cant remember. The Shiny ones are brand new, I took them right after her tub time. She is definitely rounder, and looks bigger in person. Diane any idea why she has white spots???

photo-37.JPG

photo-36.JPG

photo-33.JPG

photo-34.JPG

photo-35.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Well, I don't know much about the pinto genes. They almost look like the Appaloosa Snowflakes, and I know she has the striped hooves, but if I remember without going back to look, she has a black udder with no mottling or any other characteristics that say appaloosa, so I'm thinking it must be some sort of pinto gene component. Hopefully others can help out here -- I'm just not well-versed in "pinto". LOL Hmmmm, maybe there's some pintaloosa in there.....
default_whistling.gif

She is looking fabulous though!!! WELL DONE!!.

" I always end up with the short end of every stick"...Lexi honey that brings tears ..Im at a loss I wish there was something I/We could do. You and your mom did great but some times things are out of our control. Summer is well b/c of you and in time you may try again, Little Dove well if shes pregnant ( even if its not the desired breeding )there is no doubt you will give her the same wonderful care you gave Summer. If Dove is not pregnant that will just be another bridge that you can cross when your ready to choose the bridge. Please keep your chin up, huge hugs, andstart snapping some more pictures.

Heidi

Thank you Diane!

Heidi thanks so much for the kind words, it was a very heart wrenching experience but I will be stronger from it!!

Diane Dove is closely related to your Spotty!! So could she have appy blood?? I am trying to figure out how Spotty even has spots LOL

Sweetwaters Miss Liberty.pdf

Attachments

• Sweetwaters Miss Liberty.pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 149
Spotty has spots because of his breeder's poor breeding habits, for sure. Your girl could also have some appy hanging out in that pedigree.

First, though, so many minis are misidentified as far as colour goes in the registry records. Many pinto minis are actually pintaloosa but hiding the appy, there are lots of "roans" who are really varnish roan appys, as well as many "solids" which are not truly soids but have appy characteristics but a "solid" color coat. The appy gene can hide very well, and appy characteristics can take years to show themselves, so many horses are registered as solids that are truly NOT solids -- so are really not what they seem on "paper".

The second problem is with the Sweetwater Farm name. Charles Penland owned Sweetwater Farms and had some wonderful horses in the early 1990's but poor breeding habits -- letting mares run with multiple stallions. So there were "problems" when DNA testing was started. Many horses were found to have not been by the stallion or mare on the papers, and it became a huge mess to get many horses registered. So all Sweetwater pedigrees should be taken with a grain of "salt" -- although the nice thing was many of his stock were from very fine lines -- having Gold Melody direct offspring, Egyptian King and Roan Ranger direct offspring on his farm and breeding. He bought up many herds from some very well known breeders, bringing together fantastic lines -- but what you see on paper may not really be what is true. Even with DNA testing, they only look to see that the baby belongs to the sire and dam if you order Parent Qualified papers -- other than that they just DNA test the individual horse.

So, since Spotty was never "Parent Qualified" when I purchased him -- since I purchased "HIM" not his papers, if you know what I mean -- and I would be a fool to do it now since it would be impossible to find the mistakes and who truly might be in his pedigree, I just "go" with what the pedigree says, knowing there has to be a mistake in there somewhere since there are no appy horses showing in his pedigree according to the registries.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi Lexi-

You have had a really bad start with your mini experience and my heart breaks for you. But if it is any consolation at all, our start into breeding was pretty awful, and until last year our record was 2 live foals out of 8 confirmed pregnancies over 5 years. And one of those live foals was Max that we lost way before his time. But we kept going, and the last two years, with the help of the Aunties on this forum, our luck has changed and we have 5 wonderful foals to show for it. As I was told before we started. breeding minis is not for the faint of heart. You can do everything right and still have a bad outcome.

So great to hear from you Lexi, and to hear that our beautiful Summer continues to make good progress. I know that we Aunties have been praying for her, but the reason that she survived her ordeal is because of you and your care. You rescued that little mare and you loved and cared for her, changing her from what she was to what she is today. It was your care and your feeding programme that provided her with the strength and stamina that enabled her to withstand all that she went through and to fight her way back to a full recovery.
default_yes.gif

I'm so glad you did well in the exams, hoping that the one you are not sure about proves to have a good result as well. As for Little Dove, she could be pregnant or not, difficult to tell as yet, but perhaps you would kindly update us a little on the things you know about her to save us reading back through pages of posts - her size and age for instance (if she's older than 5 she may well have had a foal before?)

And keep those pictures coming when you can, plus a few of our sweet Summer please.

oh Lexi, I am soo soo happy to see that Summer is doing so much better! massive hugs going out to you my friend, I'm crying at my desk at work lol (sure hope no customers come in right now :/)
you are the most wonderful person and take the absoloute best care of your horses I'm sorry this has happened to you. thinking of you dear friend, Dove is looking great! though I hope for your sake she isn't in foal so that it doesn't cause you stress...
default_sad.png

I'm glad you went well in your exams
default_smile.png
good on you! I know I would have totally flunked them if I was in your situation lol.

Now make sure you rest well, we can't have you getting sick now.

sending massive hugs your way!

Very happy to hear that Summer is doing good, and also to hear that the exams seemed to go well. If Dove does not end up having any appy in her then I would tell you that she has Birdcatcher spots, that may or may not stay. Some horses have one or two and some have lots and lots of them.

Back